Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 PM

38 posts, read 45,643 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm a 29 y.o. single guy looking to move out of South Florida. I've lived here since I was 15 and I feel as though I've hit a plateau. I have a very good job, house, car, etc. but I would like to experience life in other states (seasons, culture, food, social life..) I have a few questions:
a) What are some areas I should stay away from when looking for a rental apartment? (I figure I can always buy a place if I like it enough to settle down) I've seen some apts for less than 1000/month, just wondering if they're in a bad area or something exhibit A exhibit B
b) Hoping to get an honest opinion, is this a city for young adults? ( I think I still qualify) I went to SLC last year and although I had a good time, I didn't see myself actually living there.
c) I've read that Raleigh is a very good area in terms of technology jobs. I'm a network administrator, does anyone have some insight into jobs in this field in the area?
d) What are something things you feel I should know about living in/moving to Raleigh, NC.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
It was cold this morning - 41 degrees. What a South Floridian thinks is cold in South Florida would feel very warm to you on a North Carolina morning.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It was cold this morning - 41 degrees. What a South Floridian thinks is cold in South Florida would feel very warm to you on a North Carolina morning.
hahah, that sounds like heaven. I walked outside this morning and it was 80 and very humid. It's one of the things I'm most tired of, the weather.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:25 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
There are many nice apartments under $1000/month, not including all the utilities, on a one year lease, in many NICE parts of town. Congratulations for doing the sensible thing and renting first.

I'm not working anymore (early retirement), but network administrator jobs seem to be advertised a lot around here.

I would suggest you locate a job before signing a lease. The commutes can get ugly. Though I'm several decades older than you, I think this is a great area for a 29 year old single guy. Best advise I can think of is to avoid living in Cary (it's lovely but heavily family oriented) and do consider Durham if your workplace meshes with the commute.

Regarding weather. Well, we moved from Phoenex in June 2012. Trust me, the coldis NOT heavenly. But the humidity is way less than FL. You'll be quite comfortable, but will need to shop for long pants, long sleeved shirts, shoes that aren't sandles, and maybe a raincoat.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 10-24-2013 at 09:35 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just have to adjust to the difference in cost of living. Would you care to recommend a few areas or cities? (not sure how they're subdivided, sorry) Online everything looks great, but on foot it can be a different story

Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I think you're putting the proverbial cart before the horse. Find the job FIRST, then pop back with the location, how much space (bedrooms) you need, and we'll help.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Rents are cheaper in NC partly because the tax structure in the state isn't overly weighted to real estate property tax. High rents in many parts of Florida are exacerbated by the fact that the landlord is simply passing along the property taxes to the renter.

I live in both Raleigh and Miami Beach and can recommend downtown Raleigh as a place to consider as a single person. Rents in DT are certainly higher than in the more suburban areas much like they are in most cities these days.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 PM

610 posts, read 745,728 times
You'll love it here. I moved up from Fort Lauderdale last April. I don't miss it, one bit. Especially the heat and humidity.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
You'll love it here. I moved up from Fort Lauderdale last April. I don't miss it, one bit. Especially the heat and humidity.
Did you move by yourself? What prompted your move?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Rents are cheaper in NC partly because the tax structure in the state isn't overly weighted to real estate property tax. High rents in many parts of Florida are exacerbated by the fact that the landlord is simply passing along the property taxes to the renter.

I live in both Raleigh and Miami Beach and can recommend downtown Raleigh as a place to consider as a single person. Rents in DT are certainly higher than in the more suburban areas much like they are in most cities these days.
Thanks for the info. I will look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary