Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 AM

420 posts, read 451,639 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
After a fairly exhaustive search, we finally purchased a home here, in Holly Springs. We did all the formal research and had a great realtor to boot. I never thought I would come to southern Wake county after being in Chapel Hill but we found a home and neighborhood we loved here. My husband and I are youthful 50 somethings with a college age daughter. We are self-declared homebodies and derive great pleasure from simple living. We are a commuter marriage because our business is still in NY. The arrangement has served us well thus far but we are hopeful it won't be forever. We have found less need for vacationing with this lifestyle...he feels like he's on vaca when he's here and I can't wait to come back when I go back to NYC!

We know HS is a nice place, growing leaps and bounds and there is controversy about the future expansion of 540. We also know it's a family oriented place...we have seen tons of different age groups in our neighborhood. Halloween should be a trip tonight!

I love hearing feedback from you guys...
if you live here or have lived here, what are your experiences in this neck of the ever expanding triangle?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 02:12 PM

170 posts, read 362,851 times
I looked everywhere in Wake county and kept coming to Holly Springs. Initallly I went to Wakefield Plantation, The preserve at Jordan Lake, Brier Creek but kept on coming back to Holly Springs. We moved in 04 to sunset ridge. After our family grew we relocated.........to 12 oaks in Holly Springs.

People are nice, families watch after one another, and everyone has come from somewhere else. It reminds me of how we grew up in the 80s. Kids playing ball outside or hide and seek. I could live anywhere I want based on my job and this is the best place to live IMHO. If you picked up 12 oaks or sunset ridge and moved the whole neighborhood to Long Island where I grew up.........homes would start at a 800K and go to 4 million.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 PM

Default Good to hear

Thanks danmcb26. I know what you mean about Long Island. it was Westchester for us. We paid 18k in taxes for a 3 bedroom home built in 1926 that we had to completely gut. All that to put our daughter thru a top school system. We have no regrets but put the house on the market the summer she graduated. Luckily it sold quickly and now we have a tiny apt. near our business and this nice home down here. We feel lucky. NY is wonderful and I will always be a NY'er at heart but I am grateful to have the opportunity to enjoy a better quality of life down here.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
We love it here too. We moved from Toms River, NJ and my husband misses the North East - I'm originally from England but lived in Westchester before I met my Husband. Anyway - we lived in Garner for a few years when we first moved down here and we love Holly Springs so much more. It's just a great little town full of everything you need.
And this year we are even more thankful as I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer back in March and we felt so lucky to have access to some of the country's best doctors on our doorstep. I ended up receiving my care through Duke Raleigh and thought about those women that live in other parts of the country that might have to travel an hour or so for their chemo/radiation etc..
Anyway - I have 2 kids at Holly Ridge Middle and one in Holly Springs Elementary and we're happy with the schools here (one will be going to High School next year) and it's just an all around great place to live.
Now if they could throw a WaWa where that "Twice As Good" store used to be then life would be perfect)

Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM

127 posts, read 215,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
Thanks danmcb26. I know what you mean about Long Island. it was Westchester for us. We paid 18k in taxes for a 3 bedroom home built in 1926 that we had to completely gut. All that to put our daughter thru a top school system. We have no regrets but put the house on the market the summer she graduated. Luckily it sold quickly and now we have a tiny apt. near our business and this nice home down here. We feel lucky. NY is wonderful and I will always be a NY'er at heart but I am grateful to have the opportunity to enjoy a better quality of life down here.
We too moved from Westchester to Holly Springs. We looked everywhere from Wake Forest all the way down to Holly Springs. Holly Springs just felt right to us. I enjoy passing the farm on Arthur Pierce and seeing the animals. I love our neighborhood where kids play outside and parents socialize. We live in Sunset Oaks and are so pleased with our new home, neighborhood and general way of life. Hopefully we will beat the 540 issue because Holly Springs is going to be the place to live in the next few years with all the planned development. We also paid close to $20K in property taxes for a 2800 sq ft house on a lot the size of a postage stamp in NY and put our kids in private school so I know exactly what you are saying. We sold our house in record time and had dual residency until my son graduated high school last June. My younger son is at Holly Ridge M.S. and is doing well. It's funny that you mention you feel like you are on vacation here because I say that all the time! While we will always be NY'ers at heart, we were so ready to be southerners!! Can't wait until "y'all" rolls off my tongue with ease. Just the relief of not paying all those bills (Con Ed, property taxes, school, etc.) takes 10 years off your life!! Welcome and enjoy!!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:43 PM

219 posts, read 483,673 times
I too love passing the Pierce farm every day en route to Sunset Oaks ... I always say "hi" to the cows and a special "hi" to the baby ones, and it's still funny to me to see the cows taking a dip in the pond.

Also, my son prefers playing sports for Holly Springs as opposed to Cary, and Holly Springs has NY Pizza, which has been my favorite pizza place for the past 5 years.

Coincidentally, I am also a former NY-er & former Westchester-ite, although not originally from NY.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:45 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Holly Springs reminds me very much of how Cary was about 25 years ago!

One of the things I like about it is that you still have some of the rural areas surrounding it. I like seeing the farms and the cows too!

Vicki

Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 PM

Smile So good to hear

You are so right; great to pass the animals at pasture. In NY, should you pass a sight like that, you are too tired to notice and appreciate it! Sometime before Halloween, we drove by the hugest pumpkin patch we have ever seen. It was awesome.

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I feel like I am in great company!
Life is too short to live the way most of us do in NY. It's a mentality that sets it and before you know it you are the hamster on the wheel, running to stand still. The cable guy and the plumber that came to my house today were both from NY. We were all talking about how grateful we are to have the opportunity to be here and enjoy a better quality of life.

Looking forward to meeting some of you, neighbors

Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 PM

Default Happy for you

DKJB,

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad you had access to top notch care. We have a high school friend who lives on Hilton Head and she sought treatment at Duke as well. Yesterday, she got the great news that she is three years cancer free. We hope the same and more for you. I am sure it has been a frightening experience for you and your family.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
We love it here too. We moved from Toms River, NJ and my husband misses the North East - I'm originally from England but lived in Westchester before I met my Husband. Anyway - we lived in Garner for a few years when we first moved down here and we love Holly Springs so much more. It's just a great little town full of everything you need.
And this year we are even more thankful as I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer back in March and we felt so lucky to have access to some of the country's best doctors on our doorstep. I ended up receiving my care through Duke Raleigh and thought about those women that live in other parts of the country that might have to travel an hour or so for their chemo/radiation etc..
Anyway - I have 2 kids at Holly Ridge Middle and one in Holly Springs Elementary and we're happy with the schools here (one will be going to High School next year) and it's just an all around great place to live.
Now if they could throw a WaWa where that "Twice As Good" store used to be then life would be perfect)
Don't know what the heck a "wawa" is but I sure hope that your health improves!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary