Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM

45 posts, read 147,139 times

Advertisements

Have any of you had a positive experience with a product which will remove mold and mildew from concrete (sidewalks and driveway) without killing the grass, or nearby plants and shrubs in the process?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 AM

612 posts, read 1,277,017 times
yes, a power washer will do that. I have a small electric one from Greenworks that you can get at Lowes which works well for this. I think it's this one here.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,420,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mart77 View Post
yes, a power washer will do that. I have a small electric one from Greenworks that you can get at Lowes which works well for this. I think it's this one here.
I think OP is asking specifically what chemical/solution to use, not what equipment.

I'd also be interested to know

Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 AM

11,204 posts, read 8,254,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I think OP is asking specifically what chemical/solution to use, not what equipment.

I'd also be interested to know
OP asked for "a product which will remove mold and mildew from concrete (sidewalks and driveway) without killing the grass, or nearby plants and shrubs in the process? "

My first thought was also a pressure washer.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 AM

347 posts, read 519,114 times
Oxygen bleaches, e.g. sodium percarbonate, which are often sold as laundry additives under the name Oxiclean, will do the job. Look for commercial strength. Anything marketed for cleaning decks should do the trick. Make sure to use hot water.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,420,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
OP asked for "a product which will remove mold and mildew from concrete (sidewalks and driveway) without killing the grass, or nearby plants and shrubs in the process? "

My first thought was also a pressure washer.
He also asked for "green," ie environmentally friendly - that tends to point towards product, not equipment. Sure he could use bleach, for instance, but that's not exactly a "green" product.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM

45 posts, read 147,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
He also asked for "green," ie environmentally friendly - that tends to point towards product, not equipment. Sure he could use bleach, for instance, but that's not exactly a "green" product.
Yes, I am sorry I was not more specific. I was looking for a "product", some kind of a non-toxic solution I could perhaps spray on the area I need to clean. Then after some period of time, just wash down the solution with a garden hose. Without fear of killing any of the lawn or landscape materials.

I do appreciate the valuable information provided by this group.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:49 AM

11,204 posts, read 8,254,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye_Olde_Thumper View Post
Yes, I am sorry I was not more specific. I was looking for a "product", some kind of a non-toxic solution I could perhaps spray on the area I need to clean. Then after some period of time, just wash down the solution with a garden hose. Without fear of killing any of the lawn or landscape materials.

I do appreciate the valuable information provided by this group.
Not trying to argue, but what could be "greener" than pure water?

Just seems like you might open up to other possibilities, and the "product" you need is a piece of equipment.

The mention of "green" is precisely why I first thought pressure washer, otherwise I would have gone to bleach or chemicals.

Anyway, if that's not a viable answer, then I can't really think of anything else. (SimpleGreen is good for a lot of stuff, but I doubt it's good for that. By nature, a "green product" won't kill living organisms, which would thereby preclude it from killing the mold and mildew, me thinks...)

Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 AM

19,393 posts, read 27,679,212 times
Is the mold and mildew that the OP has the same as the greenish/brownish stuff that is growing on our patio pavers (that were installed in Feb, 2013)?

We were wondering about a steam cleaner?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM

5,733 posts, read 17,560,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Is the mold and mildew that the OP has the same as the greenish/brownish stuff that is growing on our patio pavers (that were installed in Feb, 2013)?
I'm actually encouraging that on our flagstone patio that I build last spring. I'm getting some really good moss patches and other mildew/mold/algae which is giving it a good weathered look.

We have the same problem as the OP does, but with our driveway and sidewalks. Our neighbor has a power washer and he does his driveway once every year or two. Takes him probably 8 hours, but he has a very large driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary