Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 AM

3,299 posts, read 8,550,656 times

Advertisements

I'll vouch for the NCSU vet school. Several years ago we took our border collie there for cancer treatment. We would leave her in the morning and pick her up after work 1-2 times a week for a month or s. She loved to go there and she never wanted to leave when it was time to come home. That says a lot more me, because she was so clingy to us, that it surprised me that she wanted to stay so badly. Sadly she lost her battle a few months later, since lymphoma is almost impossible to cure in dogs, even though after the first treatment her lymphoma was literally gone within days (but came back after a month). I probably wouldn't do chemo again for a pet, but I will say the doctors and staff at NCSU were great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 AM

554 posts, read 1,153,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thx for the recos on the vet.

And good to know about the 24 hr animal hospital. Will check out Raleigh NCSU. Sounds great.

Love the 24 hr vet hospital we have here - we also have had a very sad ending there - but they were superb - lots of Cornell trained vets - top notch care - blood transfusions, experimental care, etc. - our dog recently went for PT and Massage Therapy for an injured back - LOL.

We don't have a lot of money, but I spare no expense when it comes to the little ones. Can't help it...
There are plenty of vets who also cater to the rehab/PT needs of animals. I can give you a recommendation for a great vet chiropracter and there is a new facility opening for rehab/massage/PT that my regular vet alerted me to. There are others around also. The transfusions, experimental medicine care will be at the vet school in Raleigh. I think your veterinary needs will be met in this area

Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 AM

351 posts, read 692,715 times
Cary is dog friendly. I see them in the outside restaurants often especially cafe types of places. There are a few dog parks in the area or at least within an easy driving distance. Dogs are allowed in most parks on leashes as well. Please pick up after your dog though. There are a lot of dog stands randomly placed near the greenways that supply dog poop bags and garbage. There are a couple of holistic vets. One is in Morrisville very close to Cary. Shiloh Animal Hospital - Morrisville NC | Veterinarian Dr. Alley is REALLY good and can offer many types of treatment from conventional to holistic (acupuncture, herbal, etc...). Also, if you don't mind the extra trip to North Raleigh, there is Bowman Animal Hospital. Dr. Bowman is the holistic vet there. Dr. Hunt is also getting herself in to acupuncture and herbals. Dr. Bowman is the owner and works mostly with holistic care but will work with conventional if the pet owner wants that. There are many doctors in that practice but only very few are holistic in their style. I've seen all three doctors mentioned. They all have their specialties and are good to see for the holistic type of medicine. Dr. Bowman is probably the most experienced and therefor, more expensive than the others. She's also very good with difficult cases. Dr. Hunt is the newest in the field of holistic care. Dr. Alley is now working in her own business, but did once work with Dr. Bowman at her practice. She has a great bedside manner and has a great report with most pets and owners. When I get another dog, I'll be seeing Dr. Alley again. I love Dr. Bowman to pieces, but she's far and Dr. Alley is fully capable of doing the same things. If I have a dog with a difficult condition, I'll go to Dr. Bowman if I feel Dr. Alley has used up her ideas.

One thing is, you will find people with their dogs everywhere you go in Cary. I don't know much about Apex, but I'd imagine it's not much different.

There are many dog boarding facilities around here. Bowman will do that, but for closer boarding, there's Dogtopia, Green Level, and I believe places like Camp Bow Wow and Furry Feet Retreat of Cary. I think there may be another I'm trying to remember, but I hear good things about those.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:05 AM

19,424 posts, read 27,775,925 times
Azile, can you please share which restaurants in Cary that you know allow dogs? As I said, we've found just a few in Brier Creek, Morrisville or Cary.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:07 AM

5,863 posts, read 6,924,743 times
Cary has a leash law that all dogs (and cats) must be on a leash when not on your property. Unfortunately, there are a few that think there dog is special and doesn't have to obey it.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,209,174 times
I'm not a fan of dogs near food. Not because I mind dogs. More because I've come across so many dog owners who don't look out for their dogs. If all dog owners paid attention and properly trained their pets, this would be a non issue in outdoor eating areas.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:23 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,304,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the best vet in the area (Cary/Apex) and which Cary 24 hour vet hospital is the best - the one on High House Rd (Animal ER Clinic of Cary) or the one on Tryon Rd (Veterinary Specialty Hospital of the Carolinas)?
I don't know anything about the Animal ER Clinic, but I do have experience with VSH. Had to take our dog there for an ultrasound when we were afraid he might have an intestinal blockage and might need surgery, but thankfully, although expensively, the ultrasound showed he did not have a blockage. They were very nice throughout it. I now have a friend (unrelated to the ultrasound incident) who is a vet at VSH and she's great and I definitely would trust her with my animals. I live in Chapel Hill, though, and don't regularly take my dog there and probably wouldn't even go regularly if I lived in Cary because I'm very low intervention when it comes to animals and they are $pendy. I do think they do very good work and had a very nice facility and seemed able to handle any possible issues that could arise, so if you don't mind spending money for excellent care I would recommend them. I would go back if I had a young pet with an unusual problem that our Chapel Hill vet couldn't handle, but I'm very low interventionist when it comes to older animals (and people, for that matter).

Old 11-02-2013, 06:27 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,234,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Azile, can you please share which restaurants in Cary that you know allow dogs? As I said, we've found just a few in Brier Creek, Morrisville or Cary.
Cafe Caturra allows them in the outdoor seating area

Old 11-02-2013, 10:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,209,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Cafe Caturra allows them in the outdoor seating area
So does Tribeca. Three mail order brides sat next to us with an adult yellow lab and proceeded to drink and ignore that large dog throughout brunch.

We quit going after that.

ETA: before anyone asks... They were open about their immigration status AND their husbands. They drank A LOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary