Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 05:16 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,970,937 times

Advertisements

Wondering how "dog friendly" the area is.

By that I mean -
  • Multiple Dog Parks
  • Multiple Doggie Day Cares
  • Great Vet Care including Holistic Vets and 24 Hour Vet Hospital
  • Natural Pet Stores (for natural food, etc.)
  • Good Dog Boarding Facilities
  • Dogs allowed at Farmers Markets, Festivals, Events, etc.
  • Dogs allowed at outside eating places (a restaurant that has outside seating)
A place where people bring their dogs downtown with them, and the merchants put out water bowls for the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 05:58 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,755,525 times
Yes. Not to the absolute extreme, but yes, all if the above is easily found in the area.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:24 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,194,191 times
The only one I'm not sure about is bringing dogs to farmers markets. There are many areas around here I would consider very dog friendly, but even then I have seen signs at their farmers markets stating that dogs are not allowed due to health codes. I'm not sure if it is a state or local government thing. Otherwise I find much of the Triangle to be dog friendly.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:24 AM

19,361 posts, read 27,580,268 times
I believe that Cary and Apex have two dog parks each. I do not think dogs are allowed at farmer's markets, but some probably do not enforce the health code.

I think Mahoney's Pub in Cary allows dogs on the patio. There's one coffee place I can think of. Spirits was probably the most dog friendly place, but they've closed, haven't they?

I'm not familiar enough with Apex or holistic vets to comment. Doggie daycare places seem to crop up everywhere.

But, generally speaking, we do not find the Triangle to be particularly dog friendly. Certainly not as much as some other cities (like Savannah).

Old 11-02-2013, 06:35 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,228,550 times
Dogs aren't allowed at my local farmers market.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:37 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,755,525 times
Savannah is the extreme though, don't you think? Not sure what else you can ask for of an everyday working town (versus a destination like asheville, savannah, etc).

I bring my dog to multiple restaurants. The smaller farmers markets aren't a big deal to bring them. Tons of vets, lots of natural food, bakeries, etc. Many grooming places. Multiple daycares with cameras, peanut butter kongs, playgrounds, indoor outdoor, etc. Multiple dog parks, one in Cary has an auto water dish, some equipment, often toys there, etc. Walk down Salem at in apex and you'll find water dishes. So on and so forth.

Not sure what else you can ask for

Old 11-02-2013, 07:01 AM

Thanks, sounds great.

If we get a house with a fenced yard the dog park won't be an issue - sometimes they are not the greatest with uncontrolled dogs/dog owners anyway.

We'd love a good doggie daycare for occaisional social time for our dog though. There is a good one here attached to a vet, and separate areas for big/small dogs or dogs with special needs - injuries, etc. - that can't be in the "general" population. Lots of scurvy-looking doggie day cares around here also...

Anyone have any thoughts on the best vet in the area (Cary/Apex) and which Cary 24 hour vet hospital is the best - the one on High House Rd (Animal ER Clinic of Cary) or the one on Tryon Rd (Veterinary Specialty Hospital of the Carolinas)?

Are there any good boarding facilities? We have one here - clean, and attached to a vet's office, which we like.

Dog walkers/pet sitters in the area?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 AM

554 posts, read 1,150,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thanks, sounds great.

If we get a house with a fenced yard the dog park won't be an issue - sometimes they are not the greatest with uncontrolled dogs/dog owners anyway.

We'd love a good doggie daycare for occaisional social time for our dog though. There is a good one here attached to a vet, and separate areas for big/small dogs or dogs with special needs - injuries, etc. - that can't be in the "general" population. Lots of scurvy-looking doggie day cares around here also...

Anyone have any thoughts on the best vet in the area (Cary/Apex) and which Cary 24 hour vet hospital is the best - the one on High House Rd (Animal ER Clinic of Cary) or the one on Tryon Rd (Veterinary Specialty Hospital of the Carolinas)?

Are there any good boarding facilities? We have one here - clean, and attached to a vet's office, which we like.

Dog walkers/pet sitters in the area?
I was not too impressed with the ER vet on High House, but I have not been to the one on Tryon Rd to compare. The absolute best care (and the highest price) will be the NCSU School of Veterinary Medicine in Raleigh. We had a sad ending there, but the care and staff was top notch. Pet owners are definitely lucky to have this facility so close. I live in one of the neighborhoods you asked about in your other post, and I can get to the vet school in under 25 minutes.

Check out Town and Country Vet/Boarding for both vet and daycare services.

Plenty of dog walkers and sitters.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:12 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,526,486 times
I can't believe how many doggie day cares and boarding facilities there are here - we brought our puppy with us to NY over the summer, we would have needed to board him for a week here and didn't want to leave such a young pup alone so long. So we would only need to board him 2 days up there - OMG, slim pickin's to say the least. The place we wanted to leave him expected the dogs to go indoors as there was NO outdoor area to leave them! Not for our newly potty trained puppy. Ended up paying $60 a night to board him in a private home lucky it was only 2 nights.

We use West Cary Animal Hospital and have been happy with them. Very reasonable. I know lots of people who use/d Town and Country, apparently at one time they were the only game in town.

In Cary your dog has to be registered to use the dog park....my friend said there are times that you can go that will be better than others as far as the owners are concerned.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 AM

Thx for the recos on the vet.

And good to know about the 24 hr animal hospital. Will check out Raleigh NCSU. Sounds great.

Love the 24 hr vet hospital we have here - we also have had a very sad ending there - but they were superb - lots of Cornell trained vets - top notch care - blood transfusions, experimental care, etc. - our dog recently went for PT and Massage Therapy for an injured back - LOL.

We don't have a lot of money, but I spare no expense when it comes to the little ones. Can't help it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary