Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM

104 posts, read 271,508 times

Advertisements

home resale advice needed-p1000683.jpg

home resale advice needed-p1000685.jpg

home resale advice needed-p1000690.jpg

home resale advice needed-p1000691.jpg

home resale advice needed-p1000693.jpg

Thank you all for your thoughtful feedback! I love this forum. As you can see, the cabinets (Kraftmaid) were not finished properly and don't fit neatly in some places. The granite was cut too short and doesn't go all the way to the end of the counter. The flow/footprint is awkward and doesn't maximize the space. Our choices are to do nothing, hire a contractor to finish the cabinets and replace with the right size granite, or do more of an overhaul to address these flaws. All of these choices involve some degree of risk--taking a while to sell and/or taking a loss on our investment. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:40 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Wow, that's very "creative".. well this is definitely not a case of you just not liking the kitchen. That's one crazy reno!

If I planned to stay long-term, I'd probably go for a full redo. But, I'm sorta cheap, so I'd see if replacing the counters would help and see if something can be done with the existing cabinets to make it less awkward. If the cabinets are currently made by Kraftmaid you might be able to replace a couple to improve things.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:27 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I think that kitchen looks nice. I would just hire a contractor to fix the defects.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
I don't see the big problem with the kitchen. It was like that when you bought the place 5 yes ago so in theory you received a discount for the house then.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I don't see the big problem with the kitchen. It was like that when you bought the place 5 yes ago so in theory you received a discount for the house then.
I agree with you and michgc. I'd just fix the problems and leave the rest if I knew I was going to sell in 2 years.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
While I like the cabinets, they are kind of a funky looking mixture of styles that makes the cabinet space look less than optimal. Looks like whomever picked them out wanted to experiment but needed a little guidance. If the granite is short where the white wall is, maybe the cheaper thing is to remove the wall unless it will mean patching the floor?

Unless it's driving you nuts, I think I would wait and then scope out the houses on the market when you are ready to sell yours. If there kitchens don't look any better and they are prices similar, then I wouldn't do anything.

I think the granite color looks fine, I wouldn't change for that reason...just my thoughts. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
It seems a bit of a hodge podge. Perhaps a designer could help you replace few of the upper cabinets to give it a more cohesive look.

The white half wall seems odd. If you removed it, would the granite extend far enough to look okay?

If you are comfortable with the kitchen layout, I would fix the odd things and call it good. Unless it looks a great deal worse up close than it does in the photos, this kitchen is not much different from the kitchens I saw in the Parade of Homes a few weeks ago.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:07 AM

219 posts, read 483,673 times
Oh dear.

Well, it's not TERRIBLE. ... although cabinets that match the floor color so closely are one of my main kitchen pet peeves. Why do people do that? :-/

FWIW, it looks to me like whoever did that kitchen found a set of nice 'returned' custom cabinetry at a local home-improvement store and decided to pick up the "great deal" despite the fact that the cabinets didn't properly fit their space. :-/ Like they rearranged the cabinets like puzzle pieces until they sort of fit.

I was okay until I saw that big ole gap beside the TALL cabinet and the fact that the cabinets over the stove don't line up along the bottom edge. The one with the plate rack hangs too low. And the glass-front cabinet to the right of the micro is just oddly placed. There's no symmetry in the upper cabinetry.

Maybe I'm too, ah, particular, as I would notice those things immediately. Most people are probably not as critical as I am.

What I question is that kitchen in the price range you mentioned. To me that kitchen doesn't seem like what I would expect in a home that expensive.

I agree with making minimal adjustments if you know you're going to be selling before long, but I would also be prepared to offer at minumum $10k off your list price to anyone who says they love everything about the house but the kitchen. Probably not a suggestion many people here will like, but a kitchen can be a dealbreaker for a lot of buyers, especially in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary