Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times

Advertisements

I have always been open to homeschooling my children but have only recently started to seriously investigate and consider what that might mean for our family and how it might actually look/work. Does anyone have resources for homeschooling in Cary/Apex they can share? I am aware of the Cary Homeschoolers Group. Is this a good place to start?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think it might be. There is also a store called "The Homeschool Gathering Place" that could point you in the right direction. I have many friends in Chapel Hill and Durham who homeschool, but don't really know Wake Co folks who do.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
I would check out the Cary Homeschooling group. They will know of all the other groups in the area. There's one group that the high school age kids build robots and take science classes together.

We homeschooled our kids for several years. But because the homeschoolers in our area were outrageously religious, we didn't participate in many group activities. Because of the social isolation, even with Scouts and art lessons and so forth, we eventually put them back in school. But we had a grand time together while it lasted.

The Cary group that does all the science stuff does not have a religious focus, though many of them are involved in various church, temple, and synagogue activities.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I would check out the Cary Homeschooling group. They will know of all the other groups in the area. There's one group that the high school age kids build robots and take science classes together.

We homeschooled our kids for several years. But because the homeschoolers in our area were outrageously religious, we didn't participate in many group activities. Because of the social isolation, even with Scouts and art lessons and so forth, we eventually put them back in school. But we had a grand time together while it lasted.

The Cary group that does all the science stuff does not have a religious focus, though many of them are involved in various church, temple, and synagogue activities.
Really good point about the religion aspect. We are not at all and would feel uncomfortable with a group that has a strong emphasis on religious activities. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:02 AM

498 posts, read 853,745 times
They are very helpful at the Homeschool Gathering Place! Just walk in and tell them you are thinking of starting and they will completely help you out. The Cary Homeschool Group is a mix of religious and non-religious families. There is another Cary homeschool group that is more religiously oriented. There is SO much to do in this area and many groups and sub-groups. Definitely start with these two resources.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Durham and Chapel Hill/Carrboro have a vibrant secular homeschooling community. I'm pretty sure that some folks from Cary come over to meet-ups and what nots.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Really good point about the religion aspect. We are not at all and would feel uncomfortable with a group that has a strong emphasis on religious activities. Thanks.
We are hardly heathens, but the two groups we tried to do things with just kept after us constantly. It was as if they were trying to recruit us.

But the kicker was that they didn't want the kids to learn to think, they wanted them to agree, to follow the one true path.

It was quite weird.

A niece homeschooled her kids because she didn't agree with the immorality that was accepted as normal in public schools.

One by one, her kids rebelled. Who could have seen that coming?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 PM

475 posts, read 900,184 times
Check Yahoo Groups. They've had them in both states I've lived in and may have one or more there.. BTW most homeschooling groups will make it evident if they have a lot of religious activity's on their info page or you can tell from their calender. The Presbyterians are big on homeschooling and welcome everyone. Don't let religious affiliations bother you . Think of it as embracing diversity.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Check Yahoo Groups. They've had them in both states I've lived in and may have one or more there.. BTW most homeschooling groups will make it evident if they have a lot of religious activity's on their info page or you can tell from their calender. The Presbyterians are big on homeschooling and welcome everyone. Don't let religious affiliations bother you . Think of it as embracing diversity.
I agree. Don't let religious affiliations stop you from checking out homeschooling groups. Most are quite welcoming, sometimes overly so. We were invited continually to various religious functions.

Embracing diversity depends on your tolerance level. I grew weary of being asked if I had "found the Lord." I suspect they grew weary of me saying I didn't know He was lost.

But the deciding factor for us was the religious slant on everything from science to social studies. Some are quite comfortable with this. We were not.

The group I know of in Cary that does all the robotics and science stuff has families with a wide variety of spiritual practices. According to my neighbor whose children are involved, they don't discuss religion, period. I wish we could have found a group like that when our kids were growing up.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:43 PM

10 posts, read 17,733 times
If you get tired of Home schooling look in to charter schools in the area nice !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary