Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Was chatting with another soon to be Triangle home owner today. We both agreed that for us now was the time to move on with life and get it done. There are many of us with a story to be told. Perhaps it will be good for those contemplating to realize a ton of folks are still buying both here and elsewhere. Please don't weigh in and tell us we are crazy. This is Thanksgiving and many of us who are soon to settle and many of us who have recently settled are thankful for the opportunity to have done so.

For me it was about retirement, being close to my son and daughter in-law. If grandkids arrive then we will be ready. After 7 months in the apartment our dog is stir just like us. We sold in the Spring and our happy that soon we will be moving on to the next stage of our life with our beautiful house to begin it in. Please join us and share you decision to move forward and let others know it tis ok. Now bring on the rain so we can get our spring gardening started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
We've rented for 19 years in Raleigh and have no plans to change.

For those of you who enjoy owning a home, this isn't a bad time to buy since builders and sellers are becoming motivated.

Best holiday wishes.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:34 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Why on earth would anyone tell you that you're crazy to move, Tuborg? I mean, if you said you were moving to Iraq, let's say, then I would be concerned, but that's a far cry from North Carolina.

My husband and I moved here because he was offered a job in Durham. There were other job opportunities in colder climes and bigger cities, but NC felt like a better fit. Plus, my husband felt more at home with the NC office than with the other companies. So here we are! The only thing that saddens me is that we're so far away from friends and family. The good thing is that my parents (who are originally from the south) really love visiting us, so maybe we can convince them to retire here just like Tuborg!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:52 PM

551 posts, read 1,875,795 times
For me, I am buying a house in Bedford to be with my family -- my daughter, my son-in-law, and my two little grandchildren. The kids are here for work. I think it is wonderful for families to be together and for grandchildren to have a grandmother. I sold my house in Maryland a year ago, have been renting an apartment for a year, and apartment life isn't right to me. Also, I like to have place for the kids to come over, for other family members to stay with me, a dining room for family dinners, etc. To me my house is not an investment, it is a home. It cpst much less than than the one I sold. Sure the housing market might be better at another time, but I want to be enjoying my life and my grandchildren right now. I don't have forever, nobody does, and life is about more than money. I am very thankful that I can afford to make choices, because I know that others can not. I feel very happy and excited about my move, my house, and my life in retirement.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:40 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
because life was too expensive to live comfortably in NJ. we both had to work, never had time or money to go out, and no one to watch the baby--cause my mom also has to work. although we dont always have time to go out now, i get to stay home with my little one, and still afford our own home. i didnt come here with the intention of living lavishly, just trying to live a middle class life.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:08 AM

266 posts, read 590,797 times
It just saddens me if some families come down to Raleigh with no real intention of living here beyond 5 years or so and decide to buy a house, as if it's the "right thing to do". That decision, if a substantial down payment isn't applied, could be a devastating one (yes, even in the Triangle). Purchasing and selling a house is a very stressful event, and the possibility of being double mortgaged for some time and being upside down looms for some in a down market. Houses can be rented (doesn't have to be an apartment) and terms are more flexible when and if someone leaves the Triangle. Builders have overbuilt and there'll be lots and lots of rentals available as a result. A house can only be a home if someone really has an intention of living here for a long long time. Otherwise, I'm afraid to say, it's still more a house than a home.

A colleague of mine put 5% down on a townhouse in the RTP area, and she's planning on moving when she finds a husband. I can't think of a worse situation to be in having such little equity to leverage and a timeframe likely so short. A huge risk that I predict will end in her ultimately losing her entire down payment and possibly having to pay to leave her residence. Think first when others tell you that buying a house is always the right choice. You might just thank yourself later when you can sleep at night not having to worry about its sale. Some of the situations I've heard make sense to buy. Others don't.

Just my opinion...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:16 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frudy McRomson View Post
It just saddens me if some families come down to Raleigh with no real intention of living here beyond 5 years or so and decide to buy a house, as if it's the "right thing to do". That decision, if a substantial down payment isn't applied, could be a devastating one (yes, even in the Triangle). Purchasing and selling a house is a very stressful event, and the possibility of being double mortgaged for some time and being upside down looms for some in a down market. Houses can be rented (doesn't have to be an apartment) and terms are more flexible when and if someone leaves the Triangle. Builders have overbuilt and there'll be lots and lots of rentals available as a result. A house can only be a home if someone really has an intention of living here for a long long time. Otherwise, I'm afraid to say, it's still more a house than a home.

A colleague of mine put 5% down on a townhouse in the RTP area, and she's planning on moving when she finds a husband. I can't think of a worse situation to be in having such little equity to leverage and a timeframe likely so short. A huge risk that I predict will end in her ultimately losing her entire down payment and possibly having to pay to leave her residence. Think first when others tell you that buying a house is always the right choice. You might just thank yourself later when you can sleep at night not having to worry about its sale. Some of the situations I've heard make sense to buy. Others don't.

Just my opinion...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Nobody on this thread said buying a home is ALWAYS the right choice. We are sharing why we made that choice ourselves. Everyone is different. Why not allow a thread for people to share positive reasons for their moves? There are plenty of threads to discuss the housing market. This one is for people who have bought to share their reasons. If you don't like the reason I gave, please feel free to tell me in a private message, but remember you know nothing about my overall financial situation. Just please don't hijack this thread with why certain people should not buy. Thank you And Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:45 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
Never regretted moving here, not one bit. We left all of our family, on both sides, down in Wilmington, when we moved here two years ago. It's been nice as I actually see more of family who make a greater effort to come up for visits. Strange that it works that way sometimes. We also feel like 'company' when we go to the Coast, and it has been fun staying with other people -- both family and friends.

My husband's work brought us here. He worked out of the house there in Wilmington, out of the car and on the road for the better part of a year, and after our daughter graduated from HS, and I retired from teaching, it looked like the perfect opportunity to make the move.

Truth be told, I always wanted to live in this part of the state.

We lived in an apartment while we scouted-out areas, and got a feel for the Triangle. Buying a house was inevitable, I guess, because we have always owned one.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:31 AM

64 posts, read 196,987 times
Default I can't wait ... my move date is next Monday!

We have been planning our move for 5 years, and decided to go ahead with our plans to retire and be closer to our children in NC. If you listen to the "talking heads" to much, you almost get to a point where you can't make a decision. There is more to life than how much money you have in the bank or the stock market. Even with the downturn in the market, our area has been very good to us with past job opportunities and the profit on our Maryland house. But now it's time to move on.

I guess bottom line is, we just weren't ready to put our lives on hold indefinitely waiting for the latest report from the latest expert, and are ready to get on with the business of living. I have my daughter's wedding to help plan as soon as we unpack next Tuesday!

Oh, TuborgP and Sundaze - it looks like you were my Maryland neighbors and now will be my new NC neighbors.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:33 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We've rented for 19 years in Raleigh and have no plans to change.

For those of you who enjoy owning a home, this isn't a bad time to buy since builders and sellers are becoming motivated.

Best holiday wishes.
SF...are we starting to convert you??? I'm teasing you and I know you know it! I'm glad you aren't one of the doom and gloomers. You made your decision and if its the right decision for you, then I'm happy you are ok with it. Just remember...should you change your mind...I'm right here!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Happy Thanksgiving to y'all too!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary