Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:40 AM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello212 View Post
That's funny. My wife and I can walk outside and I'll get 2 bites and she'll get about 30. I wonder why they prefer some people to others.
Mosquitos are attracted to estrogen, and for that reason often attack women more than men. Also, they prefer dark colors to light colors. I have been on hikes where people with black backpacks and jeans were attacked more than people with light colored clothes. Some perfumes or soaps or other products may attract them. It's hard to know what goes on in a mosquito's "mind"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 09:53 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seohkna View Post
The other thing I am personally having a hard time adjusting to is the insects. Not everyone has a problem but they seem to like me a lot and I can walk around my yard and come back with 30 mosquito bites, chiggers and a tick. At first I thought we were just infested but it has happened to me everywhere we go from July to October unless I wear a lot of clothes and insect repellent. As a person who loves the outdoors and was hoping to enjoy the beauty of this state, I am not happy about that situation.
Marie
Make sure you are getting enough the 'B' vitamin group. Insects just don't seem to like a person with plenty of B vitamins in their blood/pheromones.

My daughter's horse back riding instructor told us this years ago (when we lived in Ohio where there are TONS more bugs) and it works for most people.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:01 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
please disregard that comment about people being homophobic - narrow minded, etc. You will not...I repeat..you will not meet more friendly and welcoming folks in your life.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:59 AM

69 posts, read 260,260 times
I think you meet the kind of people that you attract. I've met hoards of open minded liberal people here. As for Santa Barbara vs the Triangle, well... if housing prices were the same, Santa Barbara in a heartbeat! But if living in Santa Barbara means renting until finding a home that with a mortgage that takes up all the paycheck, well... the Triangle is a fantastic 2nd choice. Seattle's nice, but too rainy and dreary. Austin is nice, but it's surrounded by Texas. Other East coast places are nice, but real estate is too expensive. That leaves Raleigh area, and it's no wonder so many are moving here.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,927 times
Default Great for conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post

A previous poster mentions that North Carolina is overwhelmingly Republican, southern Baptist, racially segregated, and homophobic. I wonder where that poster hangs out. The Triangle is none of these things.
Please disregard dcgirl's emotional response. NC is ALL OF THESE THINGS that roanoker 4 mentions; super Republican/conservative, super Baptist, racially segregated (residentially and occupationally), and homophobic. Seriously. I've lived in many different cities in NC for most of my 26 years on Earth and this description hits the nail on the head.

While it might be beautiful and a great place to rear younguns, it's not progressive at all. Your kids will most likely grow up to assume this narrow mindedness, and you will probably adapt to it also. While everybody's glorifying the area because of the real estate prices, natural beauty and education system, Roanoaker 4 gives a first hand account of what you will witness on a daily basis in NC.

Bottom line - It's up to the individual. Get in where you fit in. If you are a Whole Foods, yoga loving, non franchise food chain person, this probably isn't the place for you. If history says anything at all, remember that NC was a confederate state and North Carolinians don't like change. Peace.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_skillz View Post
Please disregard dcgirl's emotional response. NC is ALL OF THESE THINGS that roanoker 4 mentions; super Republican/conservative, super Baptist, racially segregated (residentially and occupationally), and homophobic. Seriously. I've lived in many different cities in NC for most of my 26 years on Earth and this description hits the nail on the head.

While it might be beautiful and a great place to rear younguns, it's not progressive at all. Your kids will most likely grow up to assume this narrow mindedness, and you will probably adapt to it also. While everybody's glorifying the area because of the real estate prices, natural beauty and education system, Roanoaker 4 gives a first hand account of what you will witness on a daily basis in NC.

Bottom line - It's up to the individual. Get in where you fit in. If you are a Whole Foods, yoga loving, non franchise food chain person, this probably isn't the place for you. If history says anything at all, remember that NC was a confederate state and North Carolinians don't like change. Peace.
While I agree that there is more of the right-wing closed mindedness here then in some places...I really, really, really have problems with the rest of your post. It isn't the only way of viewing the world.

No, our kids will not "most likely grow up to assume this narrow mindedness" and if anything, I am more aware of the danger of that way of thinking since moving here then before, when I took that way of thinking for granted.

Reading about and hearing people doing and saying stupid things has been a great way to teach my child how important it is for people to maintain their freedoms, speak out against injustice and to treat people by their character, not their skin color, country of origin or religion.

I can't recall the last time I ate at a chain restaurant, have just signed up for yoga.....here in Wake Forest even...home of one of the worst right wing baptist seminaries in the country no less!! Whole Foods still is in Chapel Hill only...but they will expand in time.

Yes, one has to tolerate the people that hate and are self-righteous...but if you think that is all this state has to offer, you didn't even bother to find out how it is to truly live here....not just complain that everyone doesn't think exactly like you.

Your mention if NC being a confederate state...while true, shows you have no concept of NC's place in that debacle...not to mention it was over 140 years ago. Things do change.

Seems like you are the one that doesn't want to change your ways of wanting to feel 'superior'....NC is too easy a target for you to give up, thankfully the rest of us have moved on.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Whole Foods still is in Chapel Hill only...but they will expand in time.
There are 3 Whole Foods locations in Durham, and 1 in Raleigh.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
There are 3 Whole Foods locations in Durham, and 1 in Raleigh.
Are there that many? I know they aren't near me or my work, so I don't keep tabs too close. I thought there was only the one.

Glad to be proven wrong!!

Old 11-24-2007, 02:28 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
When I ran a search at the Whole Foods site, one came up in each of Raleigh, Durham, Cary, and Chapel Hill.

But from Google a couple more show up in Durham. I'm not sure which is up to date.

I actually like the Durham store better than the one in Chapel Hill, but the Chapel Hill store is more convenient for me.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 22,143 times
I think the move would be great, yet different (in a good way). I would recommend visiting the area to see if the kids would enjoy it. If they are okay with it, I think you should go for it. The real estate market is great and affordable for this area. Moderator cut: SOLICITATION

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-24-2007 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary