Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times

Advertisements

But for the most part, the transit trains will be during the day only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
To answer an upthread comment: yes there are codes in the whistle blowing. Two longs, a short and another long is for approaching an at grade crossing. There are also signals (not always used) for use when working on switching cars in or out on a siding. There are also lantern signals which can be used to tell the engineer which way to go and how fast.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM

35 posts, read 80,484 times
We recently took the Amtrak Silver Star from Cary to Orlando, FL for a Disney vacation. It was great, we will never drive any long distance served by train again. We traveled in a "roomette", that allows you to sleep horizontally & has a private toilet.

We left a little after 9:00 PM & arrived a little after 10:00 AM, so traveled overnight. I can tell you that the train blew its horn through EVERY single residential, or congested area. I did not see one road crossing where the horn wasn't sounded. You get used to it after a while & we slept just fine to the rocking of the rails, arriving in Orlando rested & ready for our first day of activities.

Amtrak seems to take rail safety VERY seriously & has extensive safety related advertising posted in the stations. When you consider that trains achieve speeds of almost 80 miles per hour & can take well over a mile to stop, you see why sounding an alert of the trains coming is a good idea.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:17 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,536,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk View Post
i feel like this is one of those situations like moving beside an airport and then getting angry when planes fly overhead.
+1

Old 11-10-2013, 10:33 AM

487 posts, read 890,993 times
It is crazy though. In places where trains are actually useful (that is, most of Europe and East Asia) they certainly don't blow their horns when they go near or through at-grade crossings. It's so distinctive that a train doing 5mph with its horn blowing could make a good tourism commercial. Everybody would know it's about the USA.

The strikes me as one of those regulations that's easy to write but completely idiotic in practice.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:47 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
In Europe it's far less common for a railroad and a highway to cross at grade. All the high-speed lines beginning with the original TGV in the 1980s have no highway grade crossings at all. And where older lines do, a horn is usually blown or (in eastern Europe) there might still be a person who operates the crossing gates.

Here in the USA, most states adopted laws that require railroads to blow the horn at highway crossings.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
In Europe it's far less common for a railroad and a highway to cross at grade. All the high-speed lines beginning with the original TGV in the 1980s have no highway grade crossings at all. And where older lines do, a horn is usually blown or (in eastern Europe) there might still be a person who operates the crossing gates.

Here in the USA, most states adopted laws that require railroads to blow the horn at highway crossings.
I'm not sure I buy that. It's true that in the EU there are lots of train lines without at-grade crossings, but there are also an awful lot with crossings at grade (mostly on freight or non-high-speed routes). It's worth noting that the US doesn't have a single mile of high speed rail by international standards, so comparisons with the TGV miss the point. I can think of at least 5 such crossings near my hometown in Europe. I would often fall asleep at night hearing the late night coal train pass through my village. No horn.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:10 PM

285 posts, read 493,114 times
The train tracks run right behind my school, and the trains go by 3-4 times a day. (They go by at night too, as we learned during our first school lock-in!) The PP are right when they say that you stop noticing the sound after a few weeks. For us, it's just white noise, unless we're out on the playground.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:15 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
Europe is a big place and is not uniform, but I stand by my position. I'll be riding trains there this week.

And I think the 150 mph segments of NY-Boston would qualify by nearly any international standard. Some segments of Washington-NY will be running at 160 by 2016.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your train lines. Whilst you are there (assuming you are not on a fast intercity line for businesspeople and tourists), please notice the number of level (at-grade) crossings.

Quote:
And I think the 150 mph segments of NY-Boston would qualify by nearly any international standard. Some segments of Washington-NY will be running at 160 by 2016.
Nope, generally HSR is defined as an average speed of over 125 mph on old track that has been upgraded, and much more than that on new track (closer to 200mph). From wikipedia:

Quote:
The average speed from New York to Boston is a slightly faster 69.8 mph (112 km/h).[54] Its maximum speed limit is 150 mph (241 km/h) on two sections of track totaling 28 mi (45 km) in Rhode Island and Ma...
A train with an average speed of 70mph which occasionally touches 150 is most certainly not highspeed by international standards. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary