Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we are all set to buy a house in Wake Forest and our Realtor is going to show us a few places in Apex. So I found this thread. We have made numerous trips down and our heart, I believe, is with Wake Forest. Coming from NYC, we need stores and schools, movies etc to be nearby. We have spent enough time in WF to know where things are, but just wondering about the commute to WakeMed or Rex from there? And in Apex, are things close by as well such as shopping, movies, etc? Closer to hospitals or no? Any new insight anyone can give me will be appreciate. Things change down there a lot every year!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:06 AM

715 posts, read 888,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
Okay, so we are all set to buy a house in Wake Forest and our Realtor is going to show us a few places in Apex. So I found this thread. We have made numerous trips down and our heart, I believe, is with Wake Forest. Coming from NYC, we need stores and schools, movies etc to be nearby. We have spent enough time in WF to know where things are, but just wondering about the commute to WakeMed or Rex from there? And in Apex, are things close by as well such as shopping, movies, etc? Closer to hospitals or no? Any new insight anyone can give me will be appreciate. Things change down there a lot every year!

Thanks in advance.
In Apex you have Beaver Creek which has a Super Target,Movie Theater etc., so I don't see a difference in terms of having stores when comparing the two locations. Which Wake Med? If Cary Apex would be a breeze. Rex in Raleigh would be 45minutes from Apex maybe a little bit more with traffic depending on the time since you would take 64 to 440....Can't go wrong either way but go with your gut and that seems to be WF.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:18 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Rex hospital is not 45 minutes from Apex, unless you were stuck in some heavy traffic. From downtown Apex it's 13 miles (17 minutes with no traffic). Even from west Apex, it's about 18 miles and 22 minutes with no traffic. With typical morning traffic (and I make this similar commute every day) it would be about 25 minutes from west Apex. Much easier IMO than the commute down Capital blvd from Wake Forest. The towns have similar shopping I would think. Apex is a little bigger with about 8-10k more residents. The commute to Rex, or downtown Raleigh is going to be closer and easier from anywhere in the town limits of Apex, than Wake Forest would be.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:57 AM

715 posts, read 888,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Rex hospital is not 45 minutes from Apex, unless you were stuck in some heavy traffic. From downtown Apex it's 13 miles (17 minutes with no traffic). Even from west Apex, it's about 18 miles and 22 minutes with no traffic. With typical morning traffic (and I make this similar commute every day) it would be about 25 minutes from west Apex. Much easier IMO than the commute down Capital blvd from Wake Forest. The towns have similar shopping I would think. Apex is a little bigger with about 8-10k more residents. The commute to Rex, or downtown Raleigh is going to be closer and easier from anywhere in the town limits of Apex, than Wake Forest would be.
I will admit I drive slow but also had to contend with Olive Chapel Road and the Apex Peakway which was not fun.....

Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post

Thanks in advance.
If you were commuting to UNC or Duke then from Apex, 540 would be a easy ride. Which WakeMed, the one on New Bern? That seems like a real hike from Apex. If you believe that your heart is with Wake Forest, don't second guess yourself.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:40 PM

342 posts, read 387,831 times
Are you going to be working at a hospital or just looking to be relatively close by one in case of emergency? WakeMed North is located about 10 minutes from Wake Forest at Falls of the Neuse and Durant. There is currently an ER and an expansion for some inpatient beds as well.

If you love WF, then go for it. We have lived here for 15 years and love it. It is a very community oriented and a special place.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:58 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
My daughter and I are both RNs. She is 21 (will be 22 when we move this summer) and starting her career there. I will be in a position to be able to take some time off to have us all adjust and settle in, and then will look for something part time or perdiem. I have been working 65 hrs a week up here and not having to do that down there.... :-)

Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
You've been looking at WF for years - literally - after visiting all of the Triangle, and now your realtor is throwing Apex into the mix? Look, you seem like a really indecisive person, don't let your realtor get you waylaid because of that. If you're planning on moving this summer you will end up making a snap decision that you will always second guess. Even if you move to Apex and like it, you'll always second guess the decision.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
When we moved from NW Raleigh a couple years ago. Wake Forest was on our list too, but after looking at the longer commute to DT Raleigh and RTP, we crossed it off our list. It's at least 3-8 miles longer from Wake Forest to DT Raleigh than anywhere in the Apex town limits and traffic is usually worse from there to Raleigh. RTP is about a 7-10 miles longer and that too is much more trafficked, especially when you consider taking NC-540 from Apex to RTP is an absolute breeze.

Apex wasn't even on our initial list. We wanted to be in west Cary/Morrisville, but after looking at several developments there and seeing how cramped all the lots were for what we wanted, we expanded our search to west Apex. We couldn't be happier with our decission. I'm closer to DT Raleigh here than I would have been in west Cary/Morrisville and especially from Wake Forest and to the center of RTP is still only a 20 minute drive.

Apex also offers that small town feel and town pride that west Cary does not. Wake Forest would have a similar appeal to Apex in that regard. I actually think Apex and Wake Forest are very similar, but most will have a longer (possibly more frustrating) commute to the job centers in this area from Wake Forest over Apex.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:06 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You've been looking at WF for years - literally - after visiting all of the Triangle, and now your realtor is throwing Apex into the mix? Look, you seem like a really indecisive person, don't let your realtor get you waylaid because of that. If you're planning on moving this summer you will end up making a snap decision that you will always second guess. Even if you move to Apex and like it, you'll always second guess the decision.
Agreed, at some point you are going to have to trust yourself and take the leap. You are not one of the posters here who has never been to the area, you have been researching this for years and always been sure of Wake Forest until now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary