Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:21 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,919,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Columbia is hotter than RTP. I agree.
It's also supposed to be hotter than Charleston, and there's no sea breeze to offer some relief.

When I lived in Chapel Hill, there were many summer evenings when I'd come home after midnight when I'd come home after midnight and it would still be in the 90s and so humid it would fog my glasses. And it would still be hot and humid when I'd leave for work in the morning. The good news is, you get used to it after a couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,378,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I lived in Columbia SC for 4 years and felt it was a lot hotter than here. Not only in daily high temps but the duration of the heat. It started earlier in the day and lasted longer into the night. Weather.com shows that Charleston is on average 5 degrees warmer. I believe that.
Columbia is very different then being by the coast (Charleston). I have family in Columbia and have spent many summers there. I also lived on the coast in central FL and weather there is more mild than in more "northern" states living inland. Warmer winters and cooler summers. You still have the humidity.

In summary, if you can live close to the ocean, do it.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:42 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,667,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Columbia is very different then being by the coast (Charleston). I have family in Columbia and have spent many summers there. I also lived on the coast in central FL and weather there is more mild than in more "northern" states living inland. Warmer winters and cooler summers. You still have the humidity.

In summary, if you can live close to the ocean, do it.

I agree about the coastal temperatures. However, not everyone lives on the coast in Charleston. Go a mile or so inland....it's hot down there!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,378,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I agree about the coastal temperatures. However, not everyone lives on the coast in Charleston. Go a mile or so inland....it's hot down there!
True anything past the immediate coast and you're back into the hot temps.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 AM

4,553 posts, read 6,377,185 times
In recent years, most of North Carolina has also had significant snow in March. This year, the cold lasted well into the spring, with record cold occurring in May. Each year is different, of course.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:14 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,156,612 times
Our "weather" also has small isolated pockets that can differ from areas just hundreds of yards away. Riding a motorcycle year round really opens your eyes to these things. I'd commute home from work, at midnight or later during the summer. And there are places where you could feel very noticeable differences in temperature based on the environment. I'd pass through Brier Creek and 70, at the big stoplight there, and it would be VERY warm. I guess that huge chunk of asphalt holds heat well into the night. Just before that, I'g go by Frankie's on Alexander, and it would be very cool. I think it's the creek down there? Then on Creedmoor Rd, down the first big hill north of 540, where the creek crosses under the road, it would be VERY cool. I could never get my thermometer to register the exact drop, but I have seen it drop 3* in that spot. Feels MUCH cooler. I think elevation, water, asphalt, etc can make nighttime temps feel quite different.

Then there's Roxboro, 30 minutes northwest of the Triangle, that seems to get more snow than anyplace east of I-77!

Look at temperature maps during the summer, and notice how much hotter Fayetteville is than surrounding towns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary