Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 30,282 times

Advertisements

I am a Floridian, born and raised in the capital of hurricanes, Miami. There is something about tornadoes, however, that scares me to death. I've never seen or experienced one. I mean, when we have hurricanes heading our way, we have a few days to prepare. We have time to bring in our patio furniture, board up our windows, etc. I have heard that tornadoes also come with warnings, but they're just given a few minutes (sometimes hours) before they hit. Please correct me if I'm wrong there. Because of that, I am afraid of having the house we've been working so hard to build, destroyed.

Are there any specific areas in the Research triangle that don't see as much property damage from Tornadoes as others, are there any who just don't get hit by tornadoes at all?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,848,820 times
Most areas have never been hit by a tornado - at least in the past few decades. A few have. Unfortunately, the tornadoes don't tell us ahead of time which areas they are going to hit.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:57 AM

84 posts, read 136,409 times
More afraid of tornadoes than hurricanes?

Most of the tornados we get here (which is not many) are actually spun off from hurricanes that have moved inland.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,187,543 times
I've been in Raleigh for 8 years and never experienced a Tornado. One did impact Raleigh a year or two ago but I live clear on the other side of town and was not affected. I think during the past 8 years the same number of tornados have impacted where I am from in NJ.

It is very rare. A non issue IMO.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:06 PM

13,623 posts, read 12,242,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie_A View Post
I am a Floridian, born and raised in the capital of hurricanes, Miami. There is something about tornadoes, however, that scares me to death.
Don't worry about them. You are being paranoid. Florida has twice as many tornados as North Carolina. I've lived in places that get way more tornadoes than the Triangle most of my life, and never really been affected by them. Wind is wind.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,917,274 times
Two years ago:

9 yearold daughter, "Daddy can a tornado knock down our house?"
Me, "Naaahh, I don't think they get that strong around here."

45 minutes later the Lowes 15 miles away is on tv because it was flattened by a tornado

Me, "I guess I was wrong about that."

Old 11-14-2013, 12:27 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,951,240 times
We can get strong tornadoes but I don't actually recall any really bad ones since Hurricane Fran.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,206,847 times
Big tornados are very small compared to a big hurricane. They can do a lot of damage, but certainly no more than a hurricane. Hurricanes do often spawn tornadoes, as mentioned up thread.

And finally, the answer to your question is no, there is no particular part of the Triangle that is more tornado-proof than any other. They're just unpredictable storms that _could_, but don't usually, hit anywhere.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,862,852 times
I've lived in the Triangle 62 years and never seen a tornado or was impacted by one in any way. I have however seen two hurricanes come through the area in my lifetime. I hope to never experience another one

Old 11-14-2013, 01:40 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,227,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
We can get strong tornadoes but I don't actually recall any really bad ones since Hurricane Fran.
I guess it depends how you define "really bad" but I think the April 2011 tornado(s) that caused damage in Sanford, Holly Springs, Raleigh, and (I think) Fayetteville was pretty bad. Sure, it didn't take out entire towns, but it caused a lot of damage.

To the OP, I'm guessing you think tornado "zones" are more localized than they really are. If Raleigh is at all susceptible, then Chapel Hill will be equally susceptible. There's no way to say that one side of the Triangle is more likely to have tornadoes than the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary