Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation:

Going to school, need part time with flexible hours. Would be great to be able to work around "track out" for my kids too. Currently working for big box retail, and looking to get out of it after 2+ years. This time of year, it is really bad, and my currently employer isn't open to my schedule. Your life has to revolve around their store, and nothing else.

Looking for ideas, because I'me coming up with nothing in my searches. Is retail the ONLY option for people who only want to work part time and need flexible hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times
Work from home is another option - but I don't know of a good resource/list of jobs available for that. I have one now, and used to be full time, but sales have sucked and I'm now down to about half time. I'm paid well and it's flexible, but I would probably need backups/alternatives if it goes further south...so keep me in the loop here.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:07 AM

Working from home would be ideal, but I don't know exactly what options are out there for that. Most of what I see are scams, that promise $75k a year. Would be nice, but I don't need that much right now!

I'd be content to 15-20 hours a week, WITHOUT dealing with holiday retail for a 3rd year in a row!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Working from home would be ideal, but I don't know exactly what options are out there for that. Most of what I see are scams, that promise $75k a year. Would be nice, but I don't need that much right now!

I'd be content to 15-20 hours a week, WITHOUT dealing with holiday retail for a 3rd year in a row!
I don't know any real people with part time jobs making that kind of cash from home. But maybe some searching on linkedin and other similar sites would help. I don't know your background so it's hard to comment.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 AM

77 posts, read 188,543 times
Not sure where you live, but Southern Season in Chapel Hill might hire people part time to help with the mail order and gift basket side of their operation. Might be a less annoying version of holiday retail.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I don't know any real people with part time jobs making that kind of cash from home. But maybe some searching on linkedin and other similar sites would help. I don't know your background so it's hard to comment.

Yeah, I see those signs at the off ramps offering $6k a week working part time from home. All I can figure is, it's selling drugs! Never really followed up on those promises. No way it's legit. And I'm not that gullible.

People I know who work from home are usually doing IT type work, or data entry.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM

167 posts, read 304,069 times
I have a friend who work from home on the pc for U-Haul Check out their web site He had done it for 4 yr now, He makes his on hours etc, He like the mid night hour because he goes to college and had a new baby so it works for him He work 15-20 a week and could do more if he wanted , Not selling you take resv,

Old 11-15-2013, 09:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
When my kids were younger, I stayed at home with them. After a few years of THAT, you get bored really quickly. So, I worked part time at the mall.

I enjoyed retail but NOT DURING THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS! The store I worked for was determined to open the earliest and close the latest. There would be a Friday night that I worked until midnight and was expected to be back to open the store at 8 AM.

Other than that time of year, working at the mall was great for me. But I understand your frustration. It seems like management doesn't take very good care of their dependable work force.

That is when I left retail and went to work in Real Estate. Everyone told me it was FLEXIBLE! It seems that with the housing market going crazy around here, many new agents are coming on board. Of course, you have to understand that you don't get clients right away and it could take you a few months to get clients.

In between retail and RE, I did mystery shopping. You have to start with the smaller jobs but if you are good, you get all sorts of offers to do more. It isn't the fake "pay money upfront to get on the list" jobs but real ones. They pay you, you don't pay them.

Other than that, you might try snagajob.

Best of luck!

Vicki

Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Aside from retail most of my part time working friends are in the service industry. Bartenders, baristas ect. Pay based largely on tips and landing good shifts. I also know some people who work part time for local bakers, but they keep really odd hours (think 3am shift).

Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM

Yeah, at one time I really enjoyed my retail job. The hours were great for my life, school and part time stay at home dad. It was working in an industry that I enjoyed, doing what seemed rewarding at the time. I really enjoyed helping people. But the holidays tend to make me jaded. Customers are nastier and impatient, and the manager/corporate have ZERO concern for their employees, other than "just be here".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary