Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:51 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times

Advertisements

And don't worry. You will probably get several letters from law firms in the area where you got your ticket in the next couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times
Where in VA did you get ticketed?

I moved here from VA in '98. I burned up that road for the next two years with plenty of weddings (11 to attend; 3 that I was in). During that time, I managed to get two tickets -- both in the 85N corridor around Exit 12 (near the NC/VA border). They like to sit there in the medians.

20 over in VA used to be reckless (as opposed to 15 in NC). I attended court myself for one & had it reduced to 9 over; the second one I paid an attorney (I think it was around $200/attorney, $200 costs but this was back then so costs have likely increased). If this is your first and depending on where you got it, I might recommend you appear yourself to have it reduced based on a good record or that you retain an attorney to appear & have it reduced.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Unless you have the time and/or inclination to do so I'd plead guilty and pay instead of showing up for court. I was nailed in 2011 for driving 77 MPH in a 60 MPH zone (probably the same corridor on I-85 as well because they trap there religiously). It cost me somewhere around $125 to buy my way out of trouble and no one reported nuthin' to North Carolina. My drivers license is clean as can be, I recently confirmed that when adjusting my auto insurance.

And for the record, 17 MPH over the speed limit is only really bad if it's in a school zone, for highway driving that's rather pedestrian.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
Where in VA did you get ticketed?

I moved here from VA in '98. I burned up that road for the next two years with plenty of weddings (11 to attend; 3 that I was in). During that time, I managed to get two tickets -- both in the 85N corridor around Exit 12 (near the NC/VA border). They like to sit there in the medians.

20 over in VA used to be reckless (as opposed to 15 in NC). I attended court myself for one & had it reduced to 9 over; the second one I paid an attorney (I think it was around $200/attorney, $200 costs but this was back then so costs have likely increased). If this is your first and depending on where you got it, I might recommend you appear yourself to have it reduced based on a good record or that you retain an attorney to appear & have it reduced.
My speeding strategy and advice is thus:
On I-95 beginning with Richmond proper all the way to where I-85 starts/ends you need to either go no more than 5 MPH over the limit or make sure you're going noticeably slower than anyone else speeding (so if they're driving 75 MPH it's best to stick to around 70 MPH).

On I-85 along the portions of the highway where the speed limit is either 60 MPH or 65 MPH assume that's a hard rule. While I can't say that there's always a trap along that stretch there almost always is and I've witnessed them nail drivers for driving less than 10 MPH over the speed limit (I have way too much experience driving those roads). I also agree with the Exit 12 caution and would add that there's often a trap somewhere near Exit 39 (actually had a nice conversation with a VA state trooper once at the rest stop off Exit 39 about this sort of thing).

Old 11-19-2013, 04:35 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Unless you have the time and/or inclination to do so I'd plead guilty and pay instead of showing up for court. I was nailed in 2011 for driving 77 MPH in a 60 MPH zone (probably the same corridor on I-85 as well because they trap there religiously). It cost me somewhere around $125 to buy my way out of trouble and no one reported nuthin' to North Carolina. My drivers license is clean as can be, I recently confirmed that when adjusting my auto insurance.

And for the record, 17 MPH over the speed limit is only really bad if it's in a school zone, for highway driving that's rather pedestrian.
Never, ever, ever pay and plead guilty. You got lucky, somehow.

And yes, 85 is notorious for traps. I go 7-9mph over on all stretches. They won't pull you over for that, there are enough people going 15+ over that 9 isn't worth their time...wait a few more minutes and someone else will be going 80.

They most often sit in the 65 and 60 zones...when you see it drop, slow down. That's where they rob unsuspecting drivers still going 73mph, because the road hasn't changed one bit, just an arbitrary speed limit drop for a couple miles to generate revenue. Disgusting.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Never, ever, ever pay and plead guilty. You got lucky, somehow.

And yes, 85 is notorious for traps. I go 7-9mph over on all stretches. They won't pull you over for that, there are enough people going 15+ over that 9 isn't worth their time...wait a few more minutes and someone else will be going 80.

They most often sit in the 65 and 60 zones...when you see it drop, slow down. That's where they rob unsuspecting drivers still going 73mph, because the road hasn't changed one bit, just an arbitrary speed limit drop for a couple miles to generate revenue. Disgusting.
Not sure about being lucky. My wife had also gotten ticketed in VA in 2012 (near DC proper) and she plead guilty and paid and GEICO declared both of us as having clean driving records earlier this year when we made adjustments to our policy. I literally have no clue what the reciprocal laws are between VA and NC, I only know that we've had two speeding tickets in VA since 2011, both were plead out as guilty and paid remotely and it had zero impact on us.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Not sure about being lucky. My wife had also gotten ticketed in VA in 2012 (near DC proper) and she plead guilty and paid and GEICO declared both of us as having clean driving records earlier this year when we made adjustments to our policy. I literally have no clue what the reciprocal laws are between VA and NC, I only know that we've had two speeding tickets in VA since 2011, both were plead out as guilty and paid remotely and it had zero impact on us.
If and when GEICO has a reason to check your driving record, it will be there, and you will get your premiums raised. Don't try to switch insurance companies for a few years, that will trigger the notification as well.

Paying a ticket and admitting guilt is never ever ever ever the right move, period.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM

72 posts, read 288,089 times
Another vote to lawyer up.

Consider the costs of just accepting the ticket. Fine/fees, increased insurance for several years - could be north of $2K when all is said and done.

Next, consider the costs of taking a day off work, driving up to N. VA, sitting in court half the day. Plus the stress of going before the judge to plead your case. You will likely still have to pay fine and court costs for reduced charges (if you are persuasive).

Now, consider opening a few of the letters you will receive from lawyers in the coming days, give one a call, and send a check for ~$125-200. You will still likely pay fine and court costs, but the lawyer should have no problem getting the charge reduced to something that will carry no points, and will not be on your record as a moving violation the next time your caught speeding in VA.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
If and when GEICO has a reason to check your driving record, it will be there, and you will get your premiums raised. Don't try to switch insurance companies for a few years, that will trigger the notification as well.

Paying a ticket and admitting guilt is never ever ever ever the right move, period.
Coincidentally my insurer is GEICO. I'm not arguing with your advice, I'm only sharing that my family is two-for-two with speeding tickets in VA without it impacting my insurance premiums. I'm assuming that because one ticket was in 2011 and the other in 2012 GEICO would know about by now if they were ever going to. And if I'm lucky, I can live with it.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Coincidentally my insurer is GEICO. I'm not arguing with your advice, I'm only sharing that my family is two-for-two with speeding tickets in VA without it impacting my insurance premiums. I'm assuming that because one ticket was in 2011 and the other in 2012 GEICO would know about by now if they were ever going to. And if I'm lucky, I can live with it.
You getting a ticket and not getting an insurance hike is like saying that someone has had unprotected sex before and not gotten an STD. Thats why I'm trying to clarify...great that you didnt get a ticket after admitting guilt, but that should not be an example anyone should follow.

They will see it eventually, and hopefully when they do it's past the point of having an impact. The system is not flawless, it is very flawed, but insurance companies typically don't actively poll local/national databases for speeding violations - you'll need to do something to trigger a search (like apply for new insurance, or commit a serious crime like vehicular manslaughter or something). It's not like you get a ticket and BAM your insurance goes up (typically), there needs to be activity that warrants a driving record pull for them to see it, otherwise, off you go...until that activity takes place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary