Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:42 PM

150 posts, read 154,201 times

Advertisements

Anybody lives at West at North building in downtown Raleigh (400 W North Street)? I was wondering if anybody can share their experience living there and how much HOA fee and what it involves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 AM

397 posts, read 805,415 times
I rented a condo there for a year. It's one of the nicer downtown condos, and the building is very well built.

There are some caveots to any downtown Condo. Be very careful about the unit you pick if you're considering buying. HOA fees are appror ~300 a month, give or take.

I would always consider renting a unit for a year to see if you like the environment. I would never buy a unit on a very low floor 5-6-7. The noise levels can be very annoying.

We lived on the 11th floor in a very large unit. After a year, I couldn't wait to leave. Even though we had a higher up unit, our floor faced the back side of Glenwood.

Every Thursday -Sat night, the bass would boom until ~2 am in the morning and it was tough to get to sleep. The caveots of the gorgeous open window space brings in a lot of noise and it can really take a toll on your if you're a sensative sleeper.

My bedroom had a nice terrace, but all that open window space just brought in an incredible amount of noise.

Those people that bought at the Auctions several years ago made pretty good investments. It's a great rental income and living downtown has become very hot and not enough properties to go around.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:38 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
I've got a place there. Did a lot of looking at different buildings and the West seemed to be the best bang for the buck. HOA fee is based on sq/ft. but as noted above, around three bills. Outstanding door staff. Really looking forward to seeing the commercial space fill up on ground level (A bodega please !!!) Roof pool/workout room/party space are nice enough. Pretty secure (keypads/fobs needed to move throughout the building). Appears to be well constructed.

Things can get a little noisy at times (train, club downstairs, Glenwood neighborhood) but such is urban living. As my location indicates, I live in a numbers of places and I'm pretty fond of the West.

Good luck !

Old 11-20-2013, 04:03 PM

150 posts, read 154,201 times
Thank you for the reply.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
I have a DT condo in another building (The Paramount) and can tell you that I face away from the Glenwood South action and don't have the sound problems that others describe. I also have a friend in West who faces away (east) from Glenwood South and he doesn't have Glenwood noise either. He did complain about noise that came from the club that used to be downstairs but that has since been closed and moved.
At the end of the day, living in the city comes with choices and consequences. The same is true for living in the burbs and in the country. It all depends on what you want in life.
As for condo fees, I'm amused that many people think $300s for HOA dues is high. I pay double that in Miami Beach for fees in a one bedroom condo. It's all relative.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM

My old roomate lived there before we got a place together.

His old unit was on the very end of the building and it was pretty quiet. But just moving down the hall put us in a noiser enviroment. We'd be chilling @ 11:30 on a Friday night, and you could hear your chest thumping with the Bass Beat right though the huge living room windows. And were in a 11th floor unit.

We tried to figure it out that it was. It had to be a night club across the street. We were wondering if it was the outdoor deck music coming from Solace, or if could have been something else coming up from the floor @ Mirage.

They had already shut down the other night club that was driving everybosy else nuts...Still Life.

If I had the extra income, it would have been a great investment to buy one of the 950-1000 SF 1 BR apts and just rent it out. For the money, they were great places to be downtown.

As a whole, I still rate The West very high and one of the best Condo's downtown. But the location of your unit can play a big factor on your happiness. At least from my experience there.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:43 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
As for condo fees, I'm amused that many people think $300s for HOA dues is high. I pay double that in Miami Beach for fees in a one bedroom condo. It's all relative.
Amen brother

Old 11-22-2013, 11:22 AM

I pay $140 for my townhome dues. So 275-325 a month really isn't bad for a higher maintenace downtown Condo like the West.

Considering the covered parking, security and other amenities, it's very reasonable for all you get.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:35 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
If anybody lives in this building and can get me access to the rooftop pool for about an hour so I can take some skyline photos, I will give them a free large skyline print, canvas etc to hang in their apartment! Please PM me if anybody can help.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:01 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
If anybody lives in this building and can get me access to the rooftop pool for about an hour so I can take some skyline photos, I will give them a free large skyline print, canvas etc to hang in their apartment! Please PM me if anybody can help.

Thanks.
I have a friend who lives there and may be able to help. PM me if interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary