Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,493 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are thinking of moving back to NC in the next year. We went to school at UNC/Duke, so we know the area a bit, but only as students. We would be working at Duke and/or UNC, and want to be relatively convenient to both of these. We are looking for a single family house to rent, with two young kids. Schools are not important immediately, but will be soon and I would like to find an area where we could eventually buy a home without having to move the kids from school...hopefully in the $250k area. We are moving from Chicago and are both excited and nervous about the huge change in environment. I have been looking at Morrisville, Carborro, Chapel Hill, Cary, etc. Cary seems a bit farther than I would like (no more than 30 min to Duke or UNC), and I heard that there is a lot of bussing (sp?) kids to school in Raleigh because of rapid growth. Is this true? We loved the Southpoint area of Durham but I'm concerned about schools. Chapel Hill seems great, but I hear the taxes are quite a bit higher than other areas. Sooo...planning for the immediate and the future...

Our ideal location would be:
less than 30 minutes to Duke/UNC
4 bedroom home for rent <$1600/mo
close to parks
good schools
young families
walkable or at least some walking trails nearby
close to shopping
activities for kids/park districts/some cultural activities (music/theater)

Any thoughts? We will be visiting in December and I want to hook up with a realtor to look around. I want to narrow down my target areas a bit before talking to them.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,614,907 times
I have been reading through the threads and have started one myself. We are relocating to the triangle area after the first of the year . Many people have mentioned the Falls River Bedford area. We are going to be there at the end of the week. I am spending so much time researching. We are looking for similar things. Good luck with your search. I will post a reply again once we spend a few days there this week.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
The OP wants a location <30 min from Duke/UNC. Falls River/Bedford is further away.

I'd recommend Hillsborough or Durham. 250K is is not realistic in Chapel Hill.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
You could do $250K in Chapel Hill/Carrboro, but it would be an older home. It's not that hard to find a home at that price point if you're open to that. For new construction you'd be looking at townhomes in that price range.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,615 times
I am currently living in Morrisville. My husband works on UNC campus (30" drive) and Duke is closer, especially some of the satellite clinics-within 10". We love our neighborhood and rent a large 4 bedroom house for 1700/month. Greenway trail at end of street, good schools for our 4 kids, community pool. The area is very clean and new and we feel safe. New stores within 5" drive. PM me if you want more specifics. we relocated a yr ago from Boston and can't be happier.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaanddan View Post
Hi all,

Chapel Hill seems great, but I hear the taxes are quite a bit higher than other areas.

I *think* the taxes in Durham are actually higher than Chapel Hill. I believe I read that recently.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:30 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I *think* the taxes in Durham are actually higher than Chapel Hill. I believe I read that recently.
Not if the property is inside the town limits of Chapel Hill or Carrboro. The 2013 total tax rates (per $100 of value) for those municipalities are about $1.58 and $1.65, respectively. That includes the county portion ($0.858) plus the rates for the individual towns and the CH/C school district.

The 2013 tax rate for most of the city of Durham, excluding the small part in Orange County, is ~$1.34 per $100 of value ($0.7744 county + $0.5675 city).

Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 PM

The Town of Chapel Hill website says property taxes are $.494/per $100. It may be that I read Chapel Hill City property tax rate is less than Durham City property tax rate, which appears to be the case, but the total with county maybe CH/C is more.

I've hopelessly confused myself beyond that, but here's the Orange County and Durham websites for anyone who's interested.

Orange County property taxes
Durham County taxes

Last edited by poppydog; 11-19-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary