Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 AM

14 posts, read 50,959 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

We are planning to be in Raleigh next week for Thanksgiving. We wanted to incorporate a day trip to the mountains. Now, I don't necessarily want to get to any mountain, in other words, drive on the mountain, but close enough to appreciate the view and the beauty of them. I know it's about three hours each way from Raleigh, so there's not much time in between, but what you all suggest for the day's adventure? Any particular cities, towns, spots?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
They ain't the Rockies!

I'd recommend heading to Asheville. It would be a long day though - about 8 hours round trip.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:02 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Asheville is a gorgeous town with lots of culture and you're surrounded by mountains. But, you won't actually get to drive "in" any of the mountains, except the Swannanoa Gap between Old Fort and Black Mountain.

If a day trip were all you could do, you might aim for Boone/Blowing Rock instead. I-40 to Winston Salem, then US 421 west to Boone. You could check out Blowing Rock and/or Grandfather Mountain and still be back by nightfall though the trip is only about a half-hour shorter than Asheville each way from Raleigh.

From there, you could drive a bit on the Blue Ridge Parkway which has some good mountain views. You might also head to Marion and catch the BRP via NC 226 or NC 80 and take it towards Mt. Mitchell, the highest East Coast peak; see some views, have a meal at Mt Mitchell State Park's restaurant, etc.

Black Mountain is also a neat town on the other side of Mt. Mitchell.

One day is a lot of driving though. I would tend to recommend driving out at least to N. Wilkesboro (for Boone/Blowing Rock -- or stay in Boone) or to Hickory (for Asheville/Mt Mitchell) the night before and staying in a hotel to maximize your next day.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:05 AM

556 posts, read 945,975 times
For a day trip from Raleigh, I would go to Uwharrie National Forest. Less than two hours away, and a generally pleasant drive through the country. You'll get the experiences of feeling/seeing the topography change.

There are other options without driving all the way to the Appalachians. Look at Pilot Mountain or Hanging Rock.

If you're really looking for the outdoor experience, and not necessarily elevation, Umstead State Park in Raleigh is fantastic. Occoneechee Mountain in Hillsborough is pretty cool too. There are also several great hiking trails along the Eno River.

If you absolutely must see "the real thing" then head towards Boone. The mountains run from southwest to northeast, so it's a shorter drive to the norther sections.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
NC 80 and take it towards Mt. Mitchell, the highest East Coast peak; see some views, have a meal at Mt Mitchell State Park's restaurant, etc.
LOL. Might want to give a full description of that road.

Oh wait. Here's a good view

https://www.thedevilnc80.com/

Old 11-18-2013, 08:17 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casiodriver View Post
Hi all.

We are planning to be in Raleigh next week for Thanksgiving. We wanted to incorporate a day trip to the mountains. Now, I don't necessarily want to get to any mountain, in other words, drive on the mountain, but close enough to appreciate the view and the beauty of them. I know it's about three hours each way from Raleigh, so there's not much time in between, but what you all suggest for the day's adventure? Any particular cities, towns, spots?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I've lived in the mountains for several years, and have done the trip from Asheville to visit the museums in Raleigh, and I can tell you it's a very tiring minimum 4 hour trip one way. That would be on I-40 all the way. But we always stay overnight in Raleigh. A one day round trip would probably be wasted, you won't see enough. Come and stay overnight, pick and choose beforehand what you want to see. Just getting out from Asheville to a few of the rural areas or to get on and off the Parkway at various mileposts will use up at least another hour or so even before you see anything.

Here are a few websites:

www.romanticasheville.com

www.downtownasheville.com

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=5v

Also important, if you plan on driving some of the Parkway, make sure to check with the parkway rangers because there may be some sections that are currently closed for repairs. Also take the weather into consideration over here.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
LOL. Might want to give a full description of that road.

Oh wait. Here's a good view

https://www.thedevilnc80.com/
Shhhhhh... I already took life insurance out on the OP ... hush!

Though you're right, I should have mentioned the twistiness of 80. The family and I have a place off 80 just on the other side of the BRP and we're now comfortable driving it but it is an experience one's first time up. 226 is a much safer, saner road but much less fun -- especially since with the leaves down you can now SEE just what you're getting into going up and especially down 80!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM

14 posts, read 50,959 times
Thanks all. Some great perspectives here. Let me add more info to my question. I am going up with my wife and two kids, 7 and 9, as well as my 76 year old FIL. We don't plan on hiking, we will get some walking done of course, but we can't overdue it due to the elder on board.

Having said that, this post and other posts are leaning me towards Boone (I gotta leave Asheville for a longer stay). I see stuff on Grandfather Mountain and Blowing Rock that could fill my limited time. Any thoughts?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
For a day trip another option is heading up US52 past Mt Airy, hitting a winery in virginia for lunch, drive a little bit on the parkway, and cut down a christmas tree on the way home. The drive will be an hour shorter than to Boone.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:30 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I'd go to Blowing Rock. Blowing Rock is a bit nicer to walk around in, cute little downtown/shopping/eating area. Takes about 2.5-3 hours to get there. Nice big park right in the middle of town. And then you can drive about 30-40 miles home on the parkway before you pick up 421 again. Moses Cone memorial Park and craft center is up there, a nice walk around Julian Price lake (no hiking, just walking). Also, The Blowing Rock is right there and a beautiful view. The Mast General Store in Valle Crucis is about a 20 minute drive and a nice destination (there is also one in Boone, but the drive to Valle Crucis is just nice and the inside of the store is more interesting, IMO)

Grandfather mountain is nice too if you've never been but there is plenty to do around Blowing Rock for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary