Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 PM

4,250 posts, read 3,168,911 times

Advertisements

In reality, electric water heaters are pretty simple devices. There are only a few (serviceable) parts that typically fail. My water heater is nearing 20 years of age and still fine but I've seen on occasion, failures in less than a year. From what you describe, the odds are very good the lower element is defective. No need to replace the entire unit for a 10 dollar part. When the lower element is defective you run out of hot water much faster than normal. This is a simple repair. The other possibility would be the thermostat. No need to replace the whole water heater if this is the case.

As far as tankless water heaters, payback on the investment is long-many years. Generally only worthwhile if you plan on living in the house for a long time or your water heater is located in the attic and you are concerned about leakage. Almost all units are gas which is not always an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 02:19 PM

613 posts, read 745,821 times
carcrazy67 is right. To replace the element you have to drain the tank. So probably an hours job. One tip. Take the element out and observe the wattage written on the end of it. Replace with the same.
A good flush and a new element will likely solve your problem. Less than $20.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:24 PM

528 posts, read 934,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
In reality, electric water heaters are pretty simple devices. There are only a few (serviceable) parts that typically fail. My water heater is nearing 20 years of age and still fine but I've seen on occasion, failures in less than a year. From what you describe, the odds are very good the lower element is defective. No need to replace the entire unit for a 10 dollar part. When the lower element is defective you run out of hot water much faster than normal. This is a simple repair. The other possibility would be the thermostat. No need to replace the whole water heater if this is the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
carcrazy67 is right. To replace the element you have to drain the tank. So probably an hours job. One tip. Take the element out and observe the wattage written on the end of it. Replace with the same.
Many thanks! This is very helpful.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:38 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,574,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
You don't have to drain the tank. But you do have to be fast!

Old 11-22-2013, 10:27 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,533,606 times
I would replace that tank before you are faced with a bad leak. 12 years is probably gone past the use by date as evidenced by your problem.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM

4,250 posts, read 3,168,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I would replace that tank before you are faced with a bad leak. 12 years is probably gone past the use by date as evidenced by your problem.

If it is in an attic or somewhere it could do massive damage to the house then I would tend to agree with you as the statistical life expectancy of an electric water heater is typically less than 15 years. If it is in an attached storage shed or even the crawlspace I wouldn't be too concerned. However I've seen many water heaters 30 years and older still performing fine while others fail within a few years.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 AM

613 posts, read 745,821 times
Quote:

I hope it sits in a pan with a proper drain installed.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 PM

528 posts, read 934,347 times
Quote:
It's in the crawl space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary