Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times

Advertisements

I would be shocked to find out that Mebane was 32% college grads - and I say that because the Triangle (and could be Raleigh/Cary MSA) is very high nationally in the low-mid 40's. I assume your stat regarding 4 bedroom homes comes from Neighborhood Scout? You can find out what's for sale, in any location, from Realtor.com. Mebane = Alamance County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
I am looking into Pittsboro, Mebane, and Hillsborough. A 10k population might be just want we're looking for.

Looking at the data for Mebane, I think that is within the kind of specs that I want. The median home value is close to 150k and approximately 10.5% of the homes are 4 bedrooms. The downside, as expected, is most of its population consists of High School graduates where College graduates consists only about 32% of the population. That is roughly 3,731 of 11,562 people. I would have to factor that in.
In general, you are going to find that the neighborhoods/towns that are more educated have higher home values.Of course there are exceptions. But, generally, higher educated people seek neighborhoods/towns with better schools (i.e. better test scores) which raises home values.

It sounds like you desire a highly educated population, a low-priced home, and a large house, but realistically, you'd need to pick two out of the three.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 AM

210 posts, read 426,202 times
BoBromhal, thank you for the county name for Mebane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
In general, you are going to find that the neighborhoods/towns that are more educated have higher home values.Of course there are exceptions. But, generally, higher educated people seek neighborhoods/towns with better schools (i.e. better test scores) which raises home values.

It sounds like you desire a highly educated population, a low-priced home, and a large house, but realistically, you'd need to pick two out of the three.
I don't really want a highly educated population. I want a balance between the two with the highly educated to be slightly in the minority. The stats for Mebane seems to be in line of the type of neighborhood I am looking for. About 9% of the population is attending college. Therefore, we really have about 41% of Mebane with at least some higher than high school education.

I reckon that I would have to come to some sort of compromise, and since my family and I will be focusing in community work, we should be fine with a low education level population as long as crime rate is low and there are some good schools nearby.

As a side note, do kids have to go to the public schools within their own zone? Is school zoning a requirement here?

Any thoughts on Dutchman Creek?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 AM

494 posts, read 816,231 times
Schools systems are run by the county here. If you move to Mebane then you go to Alamance County Schools. The sticky at the top of the thread should answer most of your questions about the area. //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

Last edited by ncbeckster; 12-02-2013 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: added link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary