Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:02 PM

45 posts, read 120,927 times

Advertisements

I received a speeding ticket June 2012 going 76 in a 60 in Virginia. I didn't think about the ramifications and just paid the ticket at the time.
A couple of weeks ago I just received noticed from NC's DMV that they were going to suspend my license for going over 15 mph. Is there a statute of limitations? Any advice on what I should do since I "pled guilty by paying the ticket" and can't hire a lawyer after the fact? I sent in the letter asking for a pretrial, but will any good come of that?
I know I shouldn't have been speeding and I'm paying the price, so please I'm just asking for advice and not admonishments on speeding. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiegirl112 View Post
I received a speeding ticket June 2012 going 76 in a 60 in Virginia. I didn't think about the ramifications and just paid the ticket at the time.
A couple of weeks ago I just received noticed from NC's DMV that they were going to suspend my license for going over 15 mph. Is there a statute of limitations? Any advice on what I should do since I "pled guilty by paying the ticket" and can't hire a lawyer after the fact? I sent in the letter asking for a pretrial, but will any good come of that?
I know I shouldn't have been speeding and I'm paying the price, so please I'm just asking for advice and not admonishments on speeding. Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure on the exact laws in North Carolina but a similar situation happened to me in Indiana. I had received two tickets within 6 months of each other. 6 months after the second ticket I received a late notice that my license was being suspended for not taking a Defensive Driver's program since I had 2 tickets inside of 6 months. The notice was 2 months late because I had moved and the DMV didn't know my current address, it eventually got to me after my license had been suspended, nothing I could do then but drive a few more weeks on a suspended license. I did a defensive driving class on the BMV's website for $45 and about 6 hours of my time, sent in the money and emailed the completion letter and had my license reinstated.

If your license is suspended it's just temporary and there is a way to get it back, whether you have to pay a fee, take a class, or whatever there is a way to get it back.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Contact NCDMV for a hearing.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Just FYI, when people say it's no big deal my insurance company never found out so just pay, don't listen. Get a lawyer.

Definitely do the administrative hearing at DMV, plead your case about how you messed up and realize how bad it is. Mention you knew it was wrong so you didn't try to get it reduced and you just wanted to make it right so you took your medicine.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM

45 posts, read 120,927 times
Great, Thank you all for your advice. Quick question - if they decide to still suspend my license after the hearing will they take my license right away or will I get a chance to still hire a lawyer after the fact to either fight it more or for a limited license?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 AM

342 posts, read 872,027 times
According to the DMV site it is a 30 suspension.

NCDOT: Driver Improvement Clinics, Suspensions, & Revocations

Says you have the right to a hearing and can appeal. So sounds like you can delay it out a bit and get a lawyer if needed.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 PM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
It's kinda crazy that you can lose your license for going 76 in a 60. But when you don't plead it down and go 15 over, that's the magic number to get you in more trouble.

When you hire a lawyer, they can usually plead it down 4-5 mph and get it to 69 in a 60.

When I got a ticket last time, I hired an attorney to take care of everything. They charged me ~$200 and plead it down. I got a ticket in my subdivion in Holly Springs for going ~38 in a 25.

Get an attorney and never just pay a ticket when it's 15 over.

I just went on a trip to Va a couple weeks ago, and I made sure I was never more than 5-7 mph over the speed limit. I've heard in over and over. Don't speed in Virginia as they have those roads covered up and down with Police officers.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 PM

166 posts, read 418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
It's kinda crazy that you can lose your license for going 76 in a 60. But when you don't plead it down and go 15 over, that's the magic number to get you in more trouble.

When you hire a lawyer, they can usually plead it down 4-5 mph and get it to 69 in a 60.
I love how lawyers can change the laws of physics and make you go slower than you actually were. It's pretty amazing, really.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,763,787 times
What a disgusting practice. 18 months later, lets send the person a notice of suspension, out of state. Horrible.

Where did you get caught? When NC people say 60mph in VA it's often that dip in 85 where it goes from 70 to 60 to 55 in a few mile stretch and cops sit in the 2miles where it's 60mph just waiting for unsuspecting drivers. The road itself is EXACTLY the same just with an arbitrary change to the speed limit, gotta love VA revenue generation.

When will our local government put logic, quality of life, and safety above revenue-generating antiquated pre-seatbelt speed limits? Someone needs to step up.

For those reading, always get a lawyer. At the very least, never ever ever ever ever ever ever just pay the ticket. The system is set up not for justice, rather for revenue, they will get their money either way. Their interest is in generating income and preserving the corruption within their system, not safety or driver improvement, so use that to your advantage.

For the OP, I would call a lawyer even now and get their advice, unless you have the time to really research your options here. There are various laws and limits and timelines and appeal processes you can exercise, a good lawyer will know exactly what to do.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:20 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
Here's some fodder for your cannon. Seemingly "arbitrary" speed limits can be challenged. If the situation is as you say--that this is some arbitrary speed limit, created for no reason or change in anticipated road or traffic conditions--you might find this interesting: Some Speed Limits Found Too Arbitrary - Chicago Tribune

Please come back and let us know how this situation resolved itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary