Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:59 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

The folks I know in their late twenties hang out at home. They brew beer and cook pizza on the grill and once in awhile join a league ball team, or go to trivia night at their favorite bar. But for the most part, they are busy with their jobs and graduate school and so on. When they get a chance to hang out, they do it at their homes.

Places to hang out that don't include alcohol consumption and are not gyms or outdoors -- Community Center? Churches? You can give it a go, but my experience is that the folks at community centers tend to be somewhat younger or quite a bit older than the group you're looking for. Those your age in church tend to be already paired up.

Volunteering can be a great way to meet people. Not sure your target demographic is big on volunteering, but you never know.

Volunteer Center of Durham - Home

Durham Volunteer Opportunities

And don't give up on match.com etc. Even if you don't find the love of your life, you may make some good friends and find people to hang out with.

Welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 PM

125 posts, read 195,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
No, you should absolutely have no problem dating anyone in the Triangle. It's one of, if not, the most progressive region in the entire South. That being said you may have to niche into a group. I'm a young professional in my mid-20's and most meetup groups just don't cater to that demographic. However, I also travel, a lot! So I've joined the local couchsurfing community and found a group of people my age that I can connect to greatly. Since a lot of us travel a great deal we're often single and very open to dating. I now have some very close friends and a few friends in other countries that I can sleep on their couch for free. So find your niche. Avoid those group that just try to wraggle as many 20's somethings, they are full of people you may not care about.
Oh goodness, yes! That's what I am finding so much of on MeetUp...tons of bar going 20 somethings who organize "speed dating"! Not exactly my sort of fun time. That sounds more like work than anything else.

I plan on traveling more in 2014 and would just hate to do it alone, so a good friend or preferably someone to share my life experiences with would be wonderful. That's wonderful that your local couchsurfing community is your niche! Hopefully soon I will find mine too. Wish me luck!

Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
a little bit of good news - it looks like there will be a publix in cary sometime in 2014.
this makes me so incredibly happy.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'd say to look at getting involved in either a community or charitable organization that piques your interest. This is a terrific way to meet quality people in any area.
I have joined a few charitable organizations, everyone seems very surprised that a young person wants to help others around here. Apparently I am a rare breed around here, because many of the organizations are full of older persons. Don't get me wrong, I'm making great friends along the way, and I am thrilled to have met them all, but it doesn't help home feel any less lonely.

Thanks for the tip though.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The folks I know in their late twenties hang out at home. They brew beer and cook pizza on the grill and once in awhile join a league ball team, or go to trivia night at their favorite bar. But for the most part, they are busy with their jobs and graduate school and so on. When they get a chance to hang out, they do it at their homes.

Places to hang out that don't include alcohol consumption and are not gyms or outdoors -- Community Center? Churches? You can give it a go, but my experience is that the folks at community centers tend to be somewhat younger or quite a bit older than the group you're looking for. Those your age in church tend to be already paired up.

Volunteering can be a great way to meet people. Not sure your target demographic is big on volunteering, but you never know.

Volunteer Center of Durham - Home

Durham Volunteer Opportunities

And don't give up on match.com etc. Even if you don't find the love of your life, you may make some good friends and find people to hang out with.

Welcome.
Thank you for the suggestions. I've started volunteering, and have been looking into churches to attend as well. I am active on MeetUp and trying to meet new people there. Ultimately I am looking for new friends so I will have a social group here in North Carolina, but I would also like to have someone to experience life with, and that is what I'm finding I may have missed the boat on. I do plan on starting graduate school, but not for a few years after I decide what I would like to pursue. Right now I'm focusing on my career and finding neat places to meet neat people - book clubs, game nights, trivia night, football fans, crafters, foodies, etc.

I have found that my age group is apparently not big on volunteering in this area, as the groups I've talked to have stated they are surprised that a single 20 something would be interested in volunteering with them, so while I am meeting great people and feel fulfilled in my service to others, I do find that coming home to an empty place can be a bit lonely. Oh well, may just be time to start my cat collection. LOL

Thanks again for the tips! Much appreciated.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 PM

I'm so excited to hear there will be a Publix in Cary in 2014! Hooray!

Any ideas of maybe a good foodie group that likes to try different restaurants?

Maybe a Latin night or two that has dancing and tapas?

A group of movie night in enthusiasts or a drive in movie location somewhere?

I haven't adjusted to the cold, so hopefully in the Spring/Summer there will be walking groups and beach goers to join and hang out with instead.

I'm really looking for those hidden, fun activities, that aren't hanging out in a smoke filled bar and ending up the DD. (Not that I mind, I just think that it can be just as lonely as sitting at home, and potentially more risky)

Old 12-09-2013, 02:07 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
Actually there are several groups geared towards young professionals who are into volunteering. Capital City Clauses is one that comes to mind. Raleigh Young Professionals Network, Change the Triangle and the NCMA also have groups. Many of the churches here have singles groups for the 20-30 somethings. I've made a close friend through taking a continuing-ed class through Durham Tech (they have tons). I just think you have to be a bit forward in asking people if they want to hangout outside of the setting in which you meet them.

I've found most men in this area tend to be into more active activities (tri-sports or nOg for example) or watching sports during their free time. So if you aren't too in to that kind of stuff IMO online may be the better choice far as dating is concerned. I know many people who've had success in this area. I don't online dating is that bad when you know what to do. Feel free to PM if you want suggestions on websites to look at for guidance.

Last edited by ncsualum2004; 12-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: .

Old 12-10-2013, 01:23 PM

77 posts, read 188,467 times
I'm in a similar boat and I'm planning on joining either the Durham Jaycees or the Junior League (of Durham & Orange Counties) in the spring. Maybe that's not your style (and they're certainly not the cheapest way to do community service and meet people), but it's another option. Raleigh has their own Junior League.

Junior League, which is ladies only, might not help with meeting eligible bachelors but I hope to make some friends and at least have something that both benefits the community and gets me out of the house. Plus, the more friends you make, the more chances you have that one of them might introduce you to a single guy friend of theirs, right?

Old 12-13-2013, 02:29 AM

63 posts, read 125,608 times
Default Singles

I'm not single anymore but suggestions....

Join your alumni group locally if you went to a bigger school. Many schools have local presences and periodic get togethers.

Rotary Club-several in the area. May find nice people around.

Meetup groups-join them based upon your interest.

If sports like tennis, golf or others, you can join a tennis ladder or league.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
And as far as the volunteer groups not expecting a "Young" person...maybe its the groups that you are choosing. You didn't say what you are doing, but maybe something like an animal protection/ shelter group, or Habitat would be a good fit.... and each of those has good potential to be co-ed. Porch Durham has quite a few younger people involved, and I think that Raleigh has a similar organization so if you like the idea of helping kids, that may suit you.
For a "something different" activity that you may enjoy why don't you try some of the cooking classes at Sur La Table- that would be a shared interest group and offers the benefit of improving your kitchen skills. I think someone suggested adult ed classes can be a great way to build a social group, and I have found that to be true as well. If you think about it, most of us started building our friendships in school anyway, so its a familiar and comfortable way to get started in a new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary