Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,544 times

Advertisements

I've accepted a job in RTP that starts about 4 months out from today.

Salary is around 50,000 with sweet benefits.

So as a single male I need some advice as to where to look for apartments and such. Looking at 1BR at this time, I have a friend who wants to room with me but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I also have a cat but taking it with me is optional.

I would also like to have a maid come in and clean once or two a month if I can afford it.

What's my standard of living going to be like on this salary?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 12:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie920 View Post

So as a single male I need some advice as to where to look for apartments and such. Looking at 1BR at this time, I have a friend who wants to room with me but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I also have a cat but taking it with me is optional.

I would also like to have a maid come in and clean once or two a month if I can afford it.

Thanks
If you are reasonable in your expectations you won't need to eat cat food. My roomy 1BR is $805 plus utilities.

Don't get rid of your kitty. Most apartments are pet friendly.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
$50K is no problem for a single guy in an apartment, even without a roommate. After taxes, etc you should still have $2800-3000 a month, which would give you plenty of places to find a good apartment (that allows cats!) in the area.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:01 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
There are so many places in the area, we'd need to know more about you to recommend them.

But as a single guy, you might still consider a 2BR place. More room to move around, set up an office, leave open the potential for roomate, or whatever. The cost difference is not that much, depending on where you choose to live.

THere are litterally hundreds of rental options within a 15-20 minute drive, and quite a few within the park itself.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:23 AM

143 posts, read 481,432 times
50K and single. You will be fine. I live in the RTP area, and you should be able to get a great 1 br. for around 700 a month.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
Heights at Meridian is a brand new complex right near rtp that is doing brand new apartments at 850 with 1 month free.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:11 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
You and the cat will do just fine on $50K. Lots of choices.

Maid is no problem. $45 or so gets a two bedroom, two bathroom home cleaned top to bottom once a week.

Good luck on your new adventure.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie920 View Post

Thanks
Living near/adjacent to RTP is going to put you out in the burbs with lots of families. Of course the apartment complexes themselves will have a different demographic but it's still the burbs. If that's your thing, go for it. While those complexes will be close to work, it will be far away from things that single people typically like to do. Living closer to DT Raleigh or DT Durham will put you closer to a social life but further from work. Living DT in either city will be more expensive and having a roommate in that situation would give you more $ to save and spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary