Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:25 AM

63 posts, read 103,069 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard of Sixrig, but have purchased refurbished Macs from Gainsaver and haven't had any issues. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 06:26 AM

9,772 posts, read 15,771,278 times
We bought a refurbished Macbook Pro for my daughter at Microcenter. We bought it in the store when we visited Northern Virginia because we used to shop there all the time when we lived there and trusted it. They have an online site, too but not everything is available online. We had no problems with the Macbook and it's been 2 years.

http://www.microcenter.com/

Old 06-04-2018, 06:34 AM

16,412 posts, read 12,476,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
We bought a refurbished Macbook Pro for my daughter at Microcenter. We bought it in the store when we visited Northern Virginia because we used to shop there all the time when we lived there and trusted it. They have an online site, too but not everything is available online. We had no problems with the Macbook and it's been 2 years.

Micro Center - Computers and Electronic Device Retailer
A little off topic (I don't know anything about Sixrig) but I'm really impressed that Microcenter is still around in NOVA. I bought a computer there during my sophomore year in college back in the early 90's!!

Old 06-04-2018, 08:01 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,419,917 times
I have bought 7 used Macbooks the last 3 years. I can offer advice. You can pay more and get one from a store, or you can save even more and get one from a private party. I buy from Craigslist and offerup. The last one I bought was last week from offerup.

Higher spec computers lose value faster. A base macbook air will only lose $200-$300 in a year. A high spec Macbook pro will lose significantly more value. I look for a 50% discount on one year old computer. 99% of them will be priced higher than this.

For example. I just bought an 18 month old 12" Macbook. Original price was $1,300 + $249 apple care + tax = $1564. I bought it for $700 and it was mint. Still under warranty for another 18 months.

I bought a 12 month old Macbook pro 13" fully maxed out. Original price was $2,200 + apple care, + tax = $2,600 and I got it for $1,100. Mint condition. This was an amazing deal and the computer im using now. Had it for a year and a half and not a single issue. Actually no issues with any of the computers ive bought.

Used macbooks are much different than a used windows computer. They are far more reliable and much better build quality. They hold their value a lot better too. I have bought four for family or friends, and since im the repair guy I can remote into their computers with messages and do things for them if needed. No more viruses or other garbage. It's been really nice for my parents because I was constantly fixing their windows computers. Since i've replaced theirs and another family member i've only had to do add a printer to each one and thats it. No problems at all. Im planning to get one for my brother this year.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,428,614 times
If getting a 25% discount from new is acceptable to you, you can buy refurbished directly from Apple. Comes with the same warranty, and chance to buy AppleCare if that's your thing.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM

56 posts, read 37,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
If getting a 25% discount from new is acceptable to you, you can buy refurbished directly from Apple. Comes with the same warranty, and chance to buy AppleCare if that's your thing.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
Its only 15%

Old 06-05-2018, 06:14 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,428,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishan_the_finder View Post
Its only 15%
That's only some of them.

The models 15% off are marked like that because the new versions are still available for sale on Apple.com, and they want to show you how much cheaper you can get the same product, refurbished.

This thread is about buying used Macbooks. Not necessarily current-generation ones. If you look at the devices that state only the price itself, they are no longer for sale new, and offer steeper discounts. It's not the full price as new, I guarantee you that.

Click "Clearance" and you can see a good amount of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary