Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:11 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

I would do some online searches now to start learning the areas you like & don't like..
Then when you start working with a realtor you can focus on those areas..

I will be house hunting in the spring also in order to downsize..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 09:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
That was another crux we had. I am open to a townhome if they have reasonable HOA fees. I'm not looking for a second mortgage with just HOA fees. One was $475/month and I had to do my own lawn, paint my own unit. So what was I paying $475 for? The green space at the front of the community. NO THANK YOU.

I'd actually prefer a single family home, older is okay, and I could make changes as I'd like over time. Doing some work is not an issue with me, but I need it to be livable when I purchase, aka structure okay with interior decor updating needed.

If a townhome is my only option, I'd like it to include some of the upkeep of the property with HOA fees much closer to $100/month if not less, again depending on what upkeep is included.
Usually when you cold call a RE company, you are put in contact with the duty agent. The duty agent is the agent that answers any calls concerning real estate for the time period that the agent is "on duty".

Usually those are the newer agents that are dying for business so I'm somewhat surprised that you weren't able to find someone willing to help you. I don't think the company would be happy to know that!

As for townhomes with HOA dues that are $475...not sure I know of ANY of those. I know some of the older townhomes communities in North Raleigh, like Brittany Woods, have HOA dues of $175 per month and that IS high. The reason being that they ARE older and will need new roofing, paving of the lot, etc.

Most townhome communities in this area are between $100 to $150 per month, which usually covers exterior maintenance and yard work.

If they don't include exterior maintenance, like Hilburn Townhomes, they may be closer to $65 per month.

$185,000 is a decent amount to spend and I don't think you'll have a problem finding that. Keep in mind that North Raleigh is pricey but there are some older homes around Harrington Grove, Woodlawn and Dominion Park that will be in that price range.

Vicki

Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM

28 posts, read 81,560 times
Check your Direct messages

Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 PM

125 posts, read 195,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Usually when you cold call a RE company, you are put in contact with the duty agent. The duty agent is the agent that answers any calls concerning real estate for the time period that the agent is "on duty".

Usually those are the newer agents that are dying for business so I'm somewhat surprised that you weren't able to find someone willing to help you. I don't think the company would be happy to know that!

As for townhomes with HOA dues that are $475...not sure I know of ANY of those. I know some of the older townhomes communities in North Raleigh, like Brittany Woods, have HOA dues of $175 per month and that IS high. The reason being that they ARE older and will need new roofing, paving of the lot, etc.

Most townhome communities in this area are between $100 to $150 per month, which usually covers exterior maintenance and yard work.

If they don't include exterior maintenance, like Hilburn Townhomes, they may be closer to $65 per month.

$185,000 is a decent amount to spend and I don't think you'll have a problem finding that. Keep in mind that North Raleigh is pricey but there are some older homes around Harrington Grove, Woodlawn and Dominion Park that will be in that price range.

Vicki
Vicki,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I only found a couple of those high priced ones, thanks to the one real estate agent who wanted me to buy in that area.

I'd much prefer a single family home with an attached garage (at least 1 car, but preferably 2 car) to a townhome, but I also know that my budget is limited and as a first time home buyer, I may not yet be ready for the responsibilities of a single family home. For me, having a yard for my dog is important, and thus I would really like a fence, something that often is not an option in townhomes or duplexes. HOAs aren't my favorite thing, but as long as I can have my quiet dog, and pay $1000 or less annually for dues, then we should be just fine.

I never actually cold called any agencies, I contacted specific realtors with listings I was interested in, and asked if they had listings similar or would be willing to work with me on finding a property. It was very strange. Never had this problem back in Florida, but I guess it's all part of a learning curve.

I'm looking at areas in North/North east Raleigh, Cary, Brier Creek areas, do you think that budget will suffice or should I be looking elsewhere or wait another year before purchasing?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I don't think you'll have any problems finding homes in your price range.

It may come down to a newer townhome versus an older detached home.

You'll have choices but no one can make those choices for you so you'll have to see what is available in your price range and make your decisions based on that.

Vicki

Old 12-21-2013, 02:00 PM

125 posts, read 195,816 times
Quick search on realtor.com and now I'm convinced that my dream home is out there somewhere!

I found a 3/2 in the 27613 area code with a garage, fireplace, wood floors, AND a first floor master?! I am amazed, but guessing it's probably a bad area, but this is where a real estate agent would come in handy! The new year is going to be excited for my house hunt! Can't wait!!!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:35 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
Quick search on realtor.com and now I'm convinced that my dream home is out there somewhere!

I found a 3/2 in the 27613 area code with a garage, fireplace, wood floors, AND a first floor master?! I am amazed, but guessing it's probably a bad area, but this is where a real estate agent would come in handy! The new year is going to be excited for my house hunt! Can't wait!!!
Most all of 27613 is great areas ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary