Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:06 PM

125 posts, read 195,772 times

Advertisements

Looking to get a few recommendations for real estate agents.

A couple of things to consider:

I am from Florida, so I need someone familiar with "non natives" to the area.
I am looking in the Brier Creek/North Hills/Six Forks and Cary area as well.
I am a first time home buyer.

I tried calling a few places and all I got was short, snippy answers about where they think I should be looking and how I didn't know what I wanted, but apparently they did?

Just looking for someone competent, kind, and thorough in their search for my first place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 02:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
Looking to get a few recommendations for real estate agents.

A couple of things to consider:

I am from Florida, so I need someone familiar with "non natives" to the area.
I am looking in the Brier Creek/North Hills/Six Forks and Cary area as well.
I am a first time home buyer.

I tried calling a few places and all I got was short, snippy answers about where they think I should be looking and how I didn't know what I wanted, but apparently they did?

Just looking for someone competent, kind, and thorough in their search for my first place!
What are you looking for and what price range?

Also, all RE agent recs should be via DM only.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
What are you looking for and what price range?

Also, all RE agent recs should be via DM only.
I am looking for 3/2 with at least a 1 car garage. Reasonable property taxes, safe/low crime community, with potential for renting if I decide to move out of the area. Preferably under $185K.

Even if I can just get an agency location that seems willing to work with a transplant. My apologies for not realizing that recs should be via DM. Would just like some insight on which direction I can look for someone who is actually friendly and willing to work with me.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRN View Post
I am looking for 3/2 with at least a 1 car garage. Reasonable property taxes, safe/low crime community, with potential for renting if I decide to move out of the area. Preferably under $185K.

Even if I can just get an agency location that seems willing to work with a transplant. My apologies for not realizing that recs should be via DM. Would just like some insight on which direction I can look for someone who is actually friendly and willing to work with me.
I'm baffled as to why you can't find anyone willing to work with a transplant. There are so many transplants here. Many of the RE agents ARE transplants. How odd.

You should be able to find a property for that price. Especially if you are open to townhomes or older homes.

Perhaps you have other criteria that made it tougher for the agents you have spoken to to help you?

Old 12-15-2013, 04:11 PM

By the way, OP. Anyone from this site who is a reputable RE agent will usually be registered as an agent with City-Data. They have a little house logo by their user names.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Why are you assuming that they have a problem with you being a transplant?
Did they say that ? Maybe you have just found unfriendly realtors that lack people skills.

If they don't seem competent & friendly on the first conversation I wouldn't want them
as my realtor anyway..

Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Did they say that ? Maybe you have just found unfriendly realtors that lack people skills.

If they don't seem competent & friendly on the first conversation I wouldn't want them
as my realtor anyway..
Agreed. We have some great agents here in the Triangle. Don't settle for a lousy one, OP.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post

as my realtor anyway..
That might be the issue. Perhaps they are just unfriendly. I asked for a garage, and apparently they felt that was too difficult to find.

I had been in contact with one who seemed eager and willing, and when I finally made the move up here and tried setting up appointments, he never returned my calls. So I've put the search on hold until Spring, but I figure I should start doing my research on agents earlier.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
By the way, OP. Anyone from this site who is a reputable RE agent will usually be registered as an agent with City-Data. They have a little house logo by their user names.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the tip! I will keep an eye out.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I'm baffled as to why you can't find anyone willing to work with a transplant. There are so many transplants here. Many of the RE agents ARE transplants. How odd.

You should be able to find a property for that price. Especially if you are open to townhomes or older homes.

Perhaps you have other criteria that made it tougher for the agents you have spoken to to help you?

That was another crux we had. I am open to a townhome if they have reasonable HOA fees. I'm not looking for a second mortgage with just HOA fees. One was $475/month and I had to do my own lawn, paint my own unit. So what was I paying $475 for? The green space at the front of the community. NO THANK YOU.

I'd actually prefer a single family home, older is okay, and I could make changes as I'd like over time. Doing some work is not an issue with me, but I need it to be livable when I purchase, aka structure okay with interior decor updating needed.

If a townhome is my only option, I'd like it to include some of the upkeep of the property with HOA fees much closer to $100/month if not less, again depending on what upkeep is included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary