Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:48 PM

914 posts, read 940,537 times

Advertisements

Well, as long as they don't tell me I can't put up a fence for my doggies...or try to limit what kinds of doggies I can have I don't really care.

I'm dog crazy and that's just the plain truth, my dogs come before everyone and everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
as far as I know, nobody tells you what kind of dog you can have on the property you own. I can't recall whether Cary still has/ever really did have that "4 dog limit" stuff either.

No HOA - except if you own a lot ON a golf course - tells folks they can't have a fence at all.

Within the city limits of a wide list of various towns - you will be subject to town zoning code ... which could tell you how TALL your fence can be.

As such, based on such a wide variety of zoning law/regulations - there absolutely is "someone" who tells you what you can do with your property. They tell us all.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Well, as long as they don't tell me I can't put up a fence for my doggies...or try to limit what kinds of doggies I can have I don't really care.

I'm dog crazy and that's just the plain truth, my dogs come before everyone and everything else.
You don't have any human family?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:13 AM

22 posts, read 54,314 times
You will be hard pressed to find any kind of development of any worth in the Triangle where you won't find an HOA. If you want less restrictions on your property you'll need to be out in the country somewhere. Most counties/municipalities in the Triangle have zoning districts close to towns, which will restrict certain things that you can do with your property, unless you get pretty far out into a rural area. There is no way to avoid that.

If you live in a rural area, you'll have to have propane unless you want electric or wood heat. Natural Gas is pretty much an in town only amenity down here. Most people in the country have propane and I've never heard of anyone's tanks blowing up. Unless you shoot the tank with a gun or intentionally try and set it on fire, it shouldn't go boom. Not to be rude, but I think you might be a little paranoid on that one.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
No HOA - except if you own a lot ON a golf course - tells folks they can't have a fence at all.
Is that true in North Carolina? My parents live in a development in PA where they are not allowed to put up a fence per HOA rules. And my brother was looking to move to a different development - also in PA - and that was the one thing that held him back from it - they were not allowed to put up fences. Neither was on golf course.

OP, I think if you stick to older developments you will be fine. There are lots of older developments around that likely don't have HOAs and have bigger lots.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
I believe the OP said they were open to an older home and didn't mind doing some small repairs but not major repairs. It should be relatively easy to find an older home with a larger lot w/ no HOA. I live in an older neighborhood in the heart of Chapel Hill developed in the 60s and 70s. My lot is just over .5 acres. Our house is 5 bedroom, 3 baths, with a basement. We did replace the deck and roof when we moved in.

You would be harder pressed to find new construction in a subdivision that doesn't have a HOA. You might get lucky and find new construction that is off on its own or with just a handful of neighboring homes, but not in a neighborhood/subdivision, that wouldn't be subject to a HOA. I think there's a minimum number of homes in a neighborhood that means a HOA is required by state law. I'm not sure of that number but I think it's something like 20 homes. All newer larger neighborhoods will be required to have a HOA.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I believe the OP said they were open to an older home and didn't mind doing some small repairs but not major repairs. It should be relatively easy to find an older home with a larger lot w/ no HOA. I live in an older neighborhood in the heart of Chapel Hill developed in the 60s and 70s. My lot is just over .5 acres. Our house is 5 bedroom, 3 baths, with a basement. We did replace the deck and roof when we moved in.

You would be harder pressed to find new construction in a subdivision that doesn't have a HOA. You might get lucky and find new construction that is off on its own or with just a handful of neighboring homes, but not in a neighborhood/subdivision, that wouldn't be subject to a HOA. I think there's a minimum number of homes in a neighborhood that means a HOA is required by state law. I'm not sure of that number but I think it's something like 20 homes. All newer larger neighborhoods will be required to have a HOA.
Are there any homes in your neighborhood in the OP's price range? It sounds like what she's looking for.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:57 AM

914 posts, read 940,537 times
Thanks for all the info so far.

I at least know what kinds of questions to ask before committing to a purchase anywhere.

I have my retirement-age mother with me, no other human family.

I have 2 dogs. One is a pit-bull mix, so I'm always wary of people with wrong ideas about pit-bulls, they get an unfair rap.

I currently have a four-foot high fence, which is sufficient to contain my dogs, and all I need.

Living out in the country is not a problem for me - I already do here in PA.

Roof work is not an acceptable situation. Interior work that does not include any electrical or plumbing is okay.

That should give the basic idea of what I am looking for and what my concerns are.

Bottom line: if I can have at least a 4-foot high chain link fence and two dogs - with no breed restrictions, I'm okay.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Thanks for all the info so far.

I at least know what kinds of questions to ask before committing to a purchase anywhere.

I have my retirement-age mother with me, no other human family.

I have 2 dogs. One is a pit-bull mix, so I'm always wary of people with wrong ideas about pit-bulls, they get an unfair rap.

I currently have a four-foot high fence, which is sufficient to contain my dogs, and all I need.

Living out in the country is not a problem for me - I already do here in PA.

Roof work is not an acceptable situation. Interior work that does not include any electrical or plumbing is okay.

That should give the basic idea of what I am looking for and what my concerns are.

Bottom line: if I can have at least a 4-foot high chain link fence and two dogs - with no breed restrictions, I'm okay.
You surely don't want an HOA, then. Most don't allow chain link (it's considered an eyesore). They do, however, allow back yard fences.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,272,406 times
Nothing currently for sale in my neighborhood but homes usually go for between $275000 - $375000. Some a little lower and some a little higher. There are tons of neighborhoods like mine throughout the triangle, though, and I'm sure many are much cheaper in other locations since Chapel Hill is very desirable. If you get an older home the roof does wear out after 20-30 years. We knew that when we bought and just had the cost for replacement negotiated off the price. You may find an older home that has recently had the roof replaced though so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Our neighborhood is full of dogs, too. Many neighbors have at least two. I'd guess probably every other home in our neighborhood has a dog. Most are mutts and many hound mixes. Might be a few pitties, not sure. I know we have hounds, labs, chows, shepherds, terriers, at least one chihuahua, a bulldog, but most dogs I see are medium to large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary