Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Don't post any.

That's the deal. If your builder sucks? I'm very sorry, but this isn't the board to complain about your builder.

If someone asks if they should use your builder, you may state that you wouldn't recommend that builder, and offer to DM the poster if they want further info.

THAT. IS. IT.

There are consumer complaints sites aplenty on these Internets. Go find one of those and lodge a complaint. Start a blog. Create a Facebook page.

We are here to help one another with useful advice, not rant about our displeasure with X Restaurant or Y Plumbing service.

A simple "I recommend Z Plumbing service over Y Plumbing service" will do just fine.

People are pretty good at reading between the lines.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

If you have questions about this subject, feel free to post them in this thread.

If you have questions about my moderation, do not post them in this thread. DM me or keep your thoughts to yourself.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:53 PM

I have noticed a bit of an uptick in consumer complaints since I posted this. Trust me, I am not amused.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times

Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 PM

^yeah... like that.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:33 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
I would have to respectfully disagree with this policy. While there may be many consumer compliant sites on the internet, there’s generally no way to accurately gauge the veracity of the claims – or if the person leaving the feedback is even sane. Chances are they are a shill, anyway.

CD is different because it is a quasi-community. There are many people on CD whose opinions and recommendations I would be willing to trust. I have read their posts. They appear to be reasonable, knowledgeable and practical people.

If carpet cleaning company X tracked mud all over your house, that would be useful information to have. I’m not advocating baseless or personal attacks, but if you’ve contacted the company and they won’t make it right, well, that would be good to know. If Restaurant X has a terrible health rating, that’s great information to have.

Advice and recommendations go both ways. People vote with their feet.

Thanks

Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Angie's List does a very good job with complaints and kudos by area and they have no skin in the game except your yearly subscription price.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree with this policy.
It's been part of the ToS since before we all joined.

Meh is just reminding us of that fact.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:15 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
That's the deal. If your builder sucks? I'm very sorry, but this isn't the board to complain about your builder.

If someone asks if they should use your builder, you may state that you wouldn't recommend that builder, and offer to DM the poster if they want further info.
I find it amusing that before I logged in, the advertisement posted at the top of this thread was for Beazer Homes. Coincidence?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:45 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
Not being wise, but is there a line between an "experience" and a "complaint"? I don't think I've ever complained on here but some experiences I've seen posted have been helpful (but could also be categorized as a complaint).

I know that it is in the TOS, but the TOS are not written very clearly. Usually TOS are very legalese so that there is no question to the topic at hand. To me a thread starter with a complaint is violating the TOS, however posting a negative experience may or may not be.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree with this policy. While there may be many consumer compliant sites on the internet, there’s generally no way to accurately gauge the veracity of the claims – or if the person leaving the feedback is even sane. Chances are they are a shill, anyway.

CD is different because it is a quasi-community. There are many people on CD whose opinions and recommendations I would be willing to trust. I have read their posts. They appear to be reasonable, knowledgeable and practical people.

If carpet cleaning company X tracked mud all over your house, that would be useful information to have. I’m not advocating baseless or personal attacks, but if you’ve contacted the company and they won’t make it right, well, that would be good to know. If Restaurant X has a terrible health rating, that’s great information to have.

Advice and recommendations go both ways. People vote with their feet.

Thanks

There's a person noting that they didn't care for a company's work and there's a ranting complaint. The latter is NOT acceptable here, per the TOS.

Soo... if someone starts a thread to complain about how a carpet company tracked mud onto their carpets? Not allowed.

If someone who is a regular member here responds to a request for recommendations with "We like X Carpet Company... they're great. We used to use Y Carpet Company, but they tracked mud onto our floors, so we went and found X and are very satisfied."

Not gonna get deleted. It's a reasonable, rational opinion.

If you post "Y Carpet Company at (insert address) SUCK! They stole our money, they are thieves and liars! DO NOT USE!!!"

Yeah... gonna get deleted.

People should know the difference between a levelheaded, objective response and a soapbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary