Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 AM

637 posts, read 1,058,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
There is nothing like a cold toilet seat to put a spring in your step. I love winter, but it makes for those late night bathroom trips to be a bit jarring. Men have it lucky in that area, unless you're doing a bit of paperwork...
Yes, that's one area I haven't needed to be too concerned about . But they do make heated toilet seats that aren't too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:06 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
It is good practice to trim 3/4" off the bottom of a bathroom door to facilitate air movement.Good advice, but not always applicable. Exhaust fans are required in window-less bathrooms. Some houses have baths with windows and may lack fans.

The open window will serve the same purpose, particularly in this mild climate. Makes "room" for the furnace to push more air.
And trimming the door off would be an absolute minimum since make up air to the return would in all likelihood have an easier path from somewhere else.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:33 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,258 times
I shower at night in a ~62 degree or lower bathroom (we shut the vents in the master bedroom and bath because it gets too warm). The floor heat is enough to bring comfort so I turn it on about 45 minutes before I shower. So, if you get around to renovating I'd say in-floor heating is a must, especially if you have tile. With the programmable thermostat it is also very nice to wake up to an 83 degree floor

Old 12-18-2013, 01:38 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
I was going to say how I used to walk down to the Johnny house in the woods with no heat or lights when I was young but I won't

Old 12-18-2013, 01:55 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I was going to say how I used to walk down to the Johnny house in the woods with no heat or lights when I was young but I won't
Bet you didn't turn on the exhaust fan, either...

Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Bet you didn't turn on the exhaust fan, either...
and you didn't waste a lot of time in there either...no chemicals to mask the smell

Old 12-20-2013, 05:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Good advice, of course. Code requires outlets in wet environments to be GFCI protected. This regulation has been in place many years, well before OP's house was built in 1991. I don't think amperage rating has any bearing on the ground-fault protective aspect.

Some may not be able to handle the power draw of a heater.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:06 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Some may not be able to handle the power draw of a heater.
I think the maximum current (measured in amperes) is determined by the wire gauge (14ga for 15amps or 12ga for 20amps) rather than the breaker itself. The wire is inside the wall, not easily replaced.

Maybe some confusion arises from the type and location of the GFCI. You may install a GF Circuit Breaker at the load center or a GF receptacle in any box on a branch circuit. The receptacle type is easily identified by having two small buttons marked test and reset. This type is the more common of the two because it is functionally equivalent and less expensive. Only one GF receptacle is needed in any branch circuit -- it protects itself and every other receptacle "downstream" on the same branch.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,222 times
Copied from page 1D of today's News & Observer...

Quote:
Cold Floors

Some rooms suffer more from cold floors than from cold air. Those are typically bathrooms and kitchens with stone or tile floors. An easy remedy is to add toe-kick heaters. These are small heating units that fit neatly in the space under a cabinet where they're nearly invisible. If you're handy, you might be able to install the heaters yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary