Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 AM

14 posts, read 24,256 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I relocated from the Midwest to Raleigh back in February and I'm going home for Christmas at the end of this week. I'd like to get my family some gifts that are special just because they are specifically from NC. Even when I lived in Iowa I was a frequent visitor to NC (the Outer Banks) so I always got my dad/brother coffee from an OBX coffee shop and peanuts, etc. from stores that sold ones from NC only. Well, I've got the coffee made in NC under control and I found some tasty jams/jellies that are made in Manteo, but I forgot to pick up peanuts at Mackey's Ferry on my way back home from the beach this weekend. I was wondering if there is anywhere in the Triangle that has some good little gift shops where I can buy my family some cool NC-themed gifts/snacks, etc.? If anyone has any suggestions on good gift items to get for my mom, dad, brother and a handful of aunts and cousins, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 AM

77 posts, read 188,581 times
Off the top of my head:
Southern Season (Chapel Hill)
Foster's Market (Chapel Hill, Durham)
Parker & Otis (Durham)

I'm sure there are some shops in Raleigh & Cary with this sort of thing, either at North Hills, downtown, or Cameron Village (or somewhere else - I'm not really that familiar with specialty shopping in Raleigh). Whole Foods might also have some local stuff as well as any co-op grocery stores.

I was also going to suggest that you look at NC wines because those are easy to find at Harris Teeter and other stores, but if you're flying that might be more of a hassle than you want to deal with.

https://www.facebook.com/TheScoutGui...rhamChapelHill - this might also give you some leads

Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Definitely hit up A Ssouthern Season. There is alsosome good stuff in the Farmer's Market shops (inside the building). Chatham Hill WInery in Cary has some local wines.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 AM

821 posts, read 1,462,966 times
There's also an artisan-type shop at Cary Towne Center near Dillard's, if you're in that area...happy holidays!

Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
The Museum of History, downtown, has lots of NC themed items, including Christmas ornaments.

I love the NC dishtowels!

The North Carolina Museum of History Shop

Vicki

Old 12-17-2013, 08:31 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Southern Season has tons of that stuff, esp food. If you come to Chapel Hill you might like to check out the North Carolina Crafts Gallery in Carrboro, too.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I know the Harris Teeter in Chapel Hill in Chatham County has a little section with NC products. I imagine some of the other bigger Harris Teeters would have it, too. I know one of the items is bbq sauce. Another idea is a 6-pack of Cheerwine soda. Fresh Market might have some items - like cheese straws, for example.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:13 AM

494 posts, read 816,499 times
Wake Forest has the North Carolina General Store. They have all sorts of food products made in North Carolina for peanuts to bbq sauce to honey. North Carolina General Stores

Triangle Town Center has a Dewey's Bakery Kiosk on the second floor near the Macy's end. They have Moravian Sugar Cakes, Coffee Cake, Moravian Cookies, Cheese Straws, etc.

Hallmark stores tend to carry NC items as well from magnets to keychains to shot glasses.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 AM

93 posts, read 216,120 times
Nofo in Raleigh's Five Points has a shop dedicated to NC goods - fabulous variety.

I also get lots of NC things from the State Farmer's Market - great prices and selection of preserved goods in particular.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 AM

14 posts, read 24,256 times
Thanks so much for all the suggestions everyone! I appreciate the help and can't wait to check all these places out! Happy holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary