Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 01:40 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

FWIW I saw the same Kia as well weaving in and out of traffic. By the OPs recount I'd say its pretty obvious what happened. Good on the OP for at least trying to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:16 PM

260 posts, read 545,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
FWIW I saw the same Kia as well weaving in and out of traffic. By the OPs recount I'd say its pretty obvious what happened. Good on the OP for at least trying to help.
Thank you. I do appreciate your comment. At that time of the day, I see a lot of the same cars every day. This one wasn't one of the usual ones.

I'm actually fairly hurt by the negative replies here. If you weren't there, or don't do the same drive each day - how can a person even begin to say what is normal? No - I have no clue to any other background, but I have more than someone that wasn't even there. So telling me that I was completely wrong is really out of order in this instance, unless you were there.

I was only reaching out in the only media that I had to my availability to maybe offer assistance to someone that could possibly need it. By some responses - that isn't a worthy effort, and that is hurtful. Too many people are apt to jump on the negative and be hurtful because it is so incredibly easy when it is anonymous, as forums mostly tend to be.

Remember that we are all PEOPLE behind our forum monikers. Some of us actually care and have feelings.

Believe me that is has been enough to remove the forum from my bookmarks - but I'm still checking back hoping that this person finds the forum.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 AM

637 posts, read 1,058,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb24 View Post
Thank you. I do appreciate your comment. At that time of the day, I see a lot of the same cars every day. This one wasn't one of the usual ones.

I'm actually fairly hurt by the negative replies here. If you weren't there, or don't do the same drive each day - how can a person even begin to say what is normal? No - I have no clue to any other background, but I have more than someone that wasn't even there. So telling me that I was completely wrong is really out of order in this instance, unless you were there.
I wouldn't take it all too personally or seriously. In the last decade or so, there has been a lot of interesting research involving the behavior of people on Internet/social media, and how that can differ from their normal in-person behavior or be shaped or modified by the simple fact that they are behind a keyboard. Skepticism is the norm on the net. People feel clever when they are being skeptical. I can't say that it is any more clever to take everything you read on the net at face value either, so it makes it easy to understand why skeptical is the default position. Their big mistake comes when they start asserting (or worse believing) that their opinion as to what happened is as valid as yours, even though you saw it and they didn't; at that point, their aspirations for cleverness are lost

But at the same time you have to deal with those types on the net, more so than daily conversations you have in person with people. Just put on your thick skin when on the net and defend your position when you know you're right, and keep an open mind in cases where there's a possibility you are not.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM

286 posts, read 685,453 times
Quote:

I was only reaching out in the only media that I had to my availability to maybe offer assistance to someone that could possibly need it. By some responses - that isn't a worthy effort, and that is hurtful. Too many people are apt to jump on the negative and be hurtful because it is so incredibly easy when it is anonymous, as forums mostly tend to be.

Remember that we are all PEOPLE behind our forum monikers. Some of us actually care and have feelings.

Believe me that is has been enough to remove the forum from my bookmarks - but I'm still checking back hoping that this person finds the forum.
Eh, it's not worth getting hurt feelings over. Remember that you cannot control other people's actions, only your own reactions. I say let it go. I don't remember reading anything in this thread that was all that bad. And besides, everyone on here is actually a stranger to you. They shouldn't matter after you turn off your computer. Snuggle with a pet or loved one and ignore what you don't like online. It's something I learned a LONG time ago and it's served me well over the years.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Kudos to the OP for starting a thread that was sure to bring out the unhelpful responses.

I too have been a witness and wanted to "get involved".
My case was a medium fender-bender right in front of me. I waited a bit for the victim to start collecting info, and went up to offer my help. She said it wouldn't be necessary as the other driver admitted fault, but she took my business card anyway.

A couple of weeks later, I got an email from her saying she had been contacted by the other driver's lawyer, who was now claiming it was her fault, and was I still willing to do a deposition.
I replied, "sure". and a few days later got a response that the other side had caved in just hearing that a witness was willing to come forward.

All this is really making me think about putting a car-cam on my dashboard, just for self protection.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:

Just saw this, but one thing you need to be aware of is that the internet is essentially full of *******s and armchair "cause" warriors. I wouldn't get too offended by the negative replies.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

All this is really making me think about putting a car-cam on my dashboard, just for self protection.
I just learned that if you are changing lanes and someone rear ends you while doing so, it's your fault. Wife's friend got into an accident where she moved to the right but someone was traveling well above the speed limit, changed lanes around the car behind her as she was doing it, and rear ended her. It ended up being her fault. Total bogus situation but having a dash cam (front and rear facing) would at least give you some cause to fight. Definitely on my list of things to do.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
... having a dash cam (front and rear facing) ... on my list of things to do.
If you follow through, please post an overview to inform the rest of us. Tell about ...
- sources (hardware and software)
- costs
- degree of skill/experience needed for a Do-It-Yourself installation

Thank you!

Old 12-24-2013, 11:17 AM

637 posts, read 1,058,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
If you follow through, please post an overview to inform the rest of us. Tell about ...
- sources (hardware and software)
- costs
- degree of skill/experience needed for a Do-It-Yourself installation

Thank you!

Search Amazon for dashboard camera in the $20-70 range. Just mounts like a smartphone or portable gps, etc.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:59 PM

260 posts, read 545,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Just saw this, but one thing you need to be aware of is that the internet is essentially full of *******s and armchair "cause" warriors. I wouldn't get too offended by the negative replies.
Thank you - really. It bothers me that some people are always the first to jump on threads to say how often "it" has been discussed or how uninformed or wrong the person is. Heck - this is a forum that has people behind the monikers. Everyone needs to remember that.

I'm a "helper" personality. I want to do good and refuse to sit back when seeing injustice or wrong. I also want to help people who are in a need situation - but some do not recognize the good in that.

I hope that the person involved either was "let go" by the trooper or will be able to work it out.... as they are obviously not a member of this forum or it would have been posted. That was my main concern - to let someone know that another had seen them and had arms open for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary