Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,609,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
He'll probably claim he was standing his ground.

Get thee out of Florida!
Oh I know he will use that defense. Everyone does here. It gets them off. Simple. I know that no place is safe but I am so tired of people arguing that they NEED their guns in places like theatre and restaurants. I know that people like to shoot guns at the range and like to go hunting. I get that but I get tired of humans being hunted. When we are ok with children being gunned down then we have a serious problem. I know many Americans will tell me to move back to UK but my family is here and I am an American. I hate to see people being killed in senseless ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 05:30 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,730,157 times
I'd be happy if every winter day was like today. That is all. :-)

Old 01-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Funny when a Floridian warns me about moving to Raleigh NC since it is an open carry state.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,142,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti1 View Post
Funny when a Floridian warns me about moving to Raleigh NC since it is an open carry state.
Eh. It's not bad here. Not as gun violence goes.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Eh. It's not bad here. Not as gun violence goes.
You know, it is not so much the actual violence that is disturbing me. I am on threads for Tampa and for Raleigh. Honestly, I can say that reading the comments from the Tampa people especially on the thread I started about the movie shooting really concern me about where I currently live. It is not always the actions but the explanations and mentality of the people. I have actually had people tell me that the victim got what he deserved for texting during movie trailers.
I am sorry but that mentality scares me and makes me sad for my son growing up in the social climate. I am glad we are moving to Raleigh, some place more family friendly.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:24 AM

51,604 posts, read 25,633,677 times
Quote:
I am glad we are moving to Raleigh, some place more family friendly.
Don't get your hopes up.

I was taking my mother to various churches during that time before the vote on the marriage amendment. Ministers were talking against gay marriage and how homosexuality was an abomination against the Lord.

My mother, bless her soul, responded to one deacon who invited us to stay for coffee that she was not interested. Said if they talked this ugly in church, what would they say about people over coffee.

I was surprised not only by the hateful attitudes expressed from the pulpit but how the congregations nodded in agreement. Surely some of them had gay and/or lesbian family members. But no one got up and walked out.

We ended up at the Unitarian church singing Nitty Gritty Dirt band songs instead of the old hymns. But at least people didn't talk ugly about each other.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Don't get your hopes up.

I was taking my mother to various churches during that time before the vote on the marriage amendment. Ministers were talking against gay marriage and how homosexuality was an abomination against the Lord.

My mother, bless her soul, responded to one deacon who invited us to stay for coffee that she was not interested. Said if they talked this ugly in church, what would they say about people over coffee.

I was surprised not only by the hateful attitudes expressed from the pulpit but how the congregations nodded in agreement. Surely some of them had gay and/or lesbian family members. But no one got up and walked out.

We ended up at the Unitarian church singing Nitty Gritty Dirt band songs instead of the old hymns. But at least people didn't talk ugly about each other.
Yes I have tried to tell my English husband that no place in the US is going to be as accepting and tolerant as where he grew up. Sadly we have a totally different mentality here. This country wants to be judgmental of others and refuses to take care of the poor or less fortunate. Even the Christians here are full of hate towards other citizens because they are different from them. It is sad really.
I am concerned about moving to an open carry state from a concealed weapon state. I guess if this move is too disappointing and unsettling as far as expectations of fellow Americans, I can always move back to UK. I hear that daily anyways.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 AM

51,604 posts, read 25,633,677 times
Quote:
Yes I have tried to tell my English husband that no place in the US is going to be as accepting and tolerant as where he grew up. Sadly we have a totally different mentality here. This country wants to be judgmental of others and refuses to take care of the poor or less fortunate. Even the Christians here are full of hate towards other citizens because they are different from them. It is sad really.
I am concerned about moving to an open carry state from a concealed weapon state. I guess if this move is too disappointing and unsettling as far as expectations of fellow Americans, I can always move back to UK. I hear that daily anyways.
I don't often see people openly carrying guns around here. So that might not be a big worry.

But taking care of the less fortunate is not high on the priority list.

Feds just threatened to cut off food stamp funds to NC because they are so far behind on processing applications. They say they are working on it. Weekly phone calls and such.

No outrage from the citizenry. No state spokesperson announcing we are going to pull out the stops, work around the clock, whatever it takes to get this mess fixed and get those hungry families fed.

Nope. Weekly phone calls to the county.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't often see people openly carrying guns around here. So that might not be a big worry.

But taking care of the less fortunate is not high on the priority list.

Recently, the Feds threatened to cut off food stamp funds to NC because they are so far behind on processing applications. They say they are working on it. Weekly phone calls and such.

No outrage from the citizenry. No state spokesperson announcing we are going to pull out the stops, work around the clock, whatever it takes to get this mess fixed and get those hungry families fed.

Nope. Weekly phone calls to the county. March deadline for having things up to snuff.

March?
That is sad and I think that type of mentality is part of the problem in this country. No one wants to help out the poor. They assume they are drawing benefits on purpose or are drug addicts. FL wants to drug test all of the ppl drawing benefits. How about drug testing the politicians, bankers and ins company employees? Ha! I didnt think so.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:37 PM

191 posts, read 275,037 times
Ditto that ... WELCOME! But the only thing to bring more desired than positiveness... is constructive input to make this a better place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary