Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 10:51 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times

Advertisements

Not a book but there's always Max Headroom for light dystopia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 04:24 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
RIP Joe Diffie...Covid-19 victim. Thanks for the tunes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWScYJa84I

Old 03-30-2020, 01:07 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
For anybody on the road (or planning to be), a stay-at-home order was just issued today in VA and is in effect until June 10, unless amended or rescinded.

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/ne...855702-en.html

Old 03-30-2020, 08:05 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,726,442 times
I probably will be on Saturday... there or West Virginia. I haven't decided yet? Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
For anybody on the road (or planning to be), a stay-at-home order was just issued today in VA and is in effect until June 10, unless amended or rescinded.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:18 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
Is it me or is this year's pollen season dragging out longer than before?

Old 03-31-2020, 03:35 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Is it me or is this year's pollen season dragging out longer than before?
Tree pollen peaks in April. I think we're all just stir crazy and are noticing it far more than normal.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:55 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
I went to check on my Bluebird nesting box and found one egg on the ground broken into pieces and another on the ground with a single hole in it.

I put a copper ring around the opening hole to thwart squirrels and installed a baffle on the pole too for snakes. But there isn't much I can do about other birds like wrens, sparrows, and finches that may be getting territorial and hurting the eggs.

Hopefully, the pair will try again although I haven't seen them much in the past few days.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
I went to check on my Bluebird nesting box and found one egg on the ground broken into pieces and another on the ground with a single hole in it.

I put a copper ring around the opening hole to thwart squirrels and installed a baffle on the pole too for snakes. But there isn't much I can do about other birds like wrens, sparrows, and finches that may be getting territorial and hurting the eggs.

Hopefully, the pair will try again although I haven't seen them much in the past few days.
Really sorry. Sounds like a work of a House Sparrow. They’ll throw out the eggs or nestlings and steal the nest site for themselves. The solution is trapping or shooting. It’s not a fun task, but it’s the only thing that will get rid of the pesky things. I have new nestlings in my BB box. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

No issues with sparrows with my Martins so far...thankfully! The hawks(Sharp Shinned)on the other hand have. I’ve lost a few Martins so far, but the decoys have saved a good number of them. This is a big problem in spring when hawks are migrating through. I’ll hope they move on soon.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:21 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Tree pollen peaks in April. I think we're all just stir crazy and are noticing it far more than normal.
I also feel like the pine pollen (the yellow stuff we see) came early this year.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:24 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Really sorry. Sounds like a work of a House Sparrow. They’ll throw out the eggs or nestlings and steal the nest site for themselves. The solution is trapping or shooting. It’s not a fun task, but it’s the only thing that will get rid of the pesky things. I have new nestlings in my BB box. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

No issues with sparrows with my Martins so far...thankfully! The hawks(Sharp Shinned)on the other hand have. I’ve lost a few Martins so far, but the decoys have saved a good number of them. This is a big problem in spring when hawks are migrating through. I’ll hope they move on soon.

I'm really not a fan of House Sparrows since I learned about their impact years ago. Starlings too but thankfully I see far less of them here.

Congrats on your nestlings! Any chance of pictures (if you can get them without disturbing the nest)?

We have Red Shouldered Hawks in our area constantly, there is probably a nest closeby because I hear and see them daily. Maybe that's why I don't have a lot of rabbits around. I guess you have to take the good with the bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary