Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 AM

210 posts, read 748,994 times

Advertisements

I was just curious if anyone has built from scratch with the Bedford Builder Group. If you have, can you please tell me the process. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 PM

121 posts, read 410,658 times
We are building with BBG right now. What type of info are you looking for?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 AM

16 posts, read 58,958 times
Default Bedford Builder Group

We are also building a home with BBG in Copperleaf. What would you like to know?

So far the process has been pleasant; at our pace and very good information sharing.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 AM

Thanks for responding. What builder did you both choose within this group? How did you decide on this specific builder?

Did you use one of the builder's plans? Did you go to an architect on your own to design something? Did they give you a spec sheet of what comes in your house and is it detailed with what level stuff you get in your home?

Do they have design centers or are you picking items on your own, outiside the builder's offerings? How long is it taking from beginning to end to build your house? I know I've asked a bunch of questions, so thanks in advance for your time.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 PM

121 posts, read 410,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiatorSprings View Post
Thanks for responding. What builder did you both choose within this group? How did you decide on this specific builder?

Did you use one of the builder's plans? Did you go to an architect on your own to design something? Did they give you a spec sheet of what comes in your house and is it detailed with what level stuff you get in your home?

Do they have design centers or are you picking items on your own, outiside the builder's offerings? How long is it taking from beginning to end to build your house? I know I've asked a bunch of questions, so thanks in advance for your time.
Once we determined that we wanted to be build in Bedford, there were 2 strategies; 1 - choose a floor plan we liked and see what lots that builder owned, or 2 - choose a lot we like and see if that builder had a house we liked. Well we started with option 1, trying to find the right house for us. We looked at all 20 spec homes that were for sale in Bedford and by the end of the day our heads were spinning. Even thought we were taking plenty of pictures and notes, we couldn't keep the houses straight. So, the next day we decided option 2. We looked at all the lots that were available (about 30 of them) and decided that we like 4 of them the best. Each of the 4 were owned by a different builder. We then went into the spec homes for the 4 builders and looked at other floor plans that they had available. We ranked the lots in order of preference and happened to find a house that we loved on our #1 preferred lot.

We then proceeded with an offer, basically taking a spec home that we liked and added and subtracted options until we had the house to our liking. We were then given a "list price" for the home. From there we made an offer and within a day had the deal done.

We chose Rice Builders, and coundn't be happier. From what we understand, all of the builders with BBG are excellent. But we are so glad we are with Rice. Mr. Rice has been fantastic to work with. He does fantastic work. And, as we have gotten to know him, think we made the right decision for our family.

The house is fully framed and we are doing our house selections next week (carpet, cabinets, lighting, etc.).

We plan on closing in June.

As far as your other questions:

We chose a plan that Rice already had, and made some modifications. We could have started a plan from scratch, but they had plans that worked for us.

Total time to build should be around 7 months.

Mr. Rice gave us a detailed spec sheet of everything that was included in the house.

This is our first time building, and, so far so good. We love the fact that we decide everything in the house- from the color of the walls to the placement of the cable outlets.

Please let me know if I can answer any more questions or even make an intro to some folks over there.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 AM

202 posts, read 950,091 times
Do yourself a favor. Get everything you could possibly want to have in the house and have it in the contract up front. Although there are 2 ways of thinking about this, usually your builder is paying 6% commission on the house and thus your really getting charged 6% commission so he might charge 6% extra on every upgrade you choose or if you add it on as change orders later and those usually don't have the 6% commission added on to it. But then your at the mercy of the builder on what something costs to add after the house has started. Just think about it.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:15 PM

We had been looking to build for almos 2yrs before we settled on Copperleaf. We also had a plan about 90% final when we started to speak with the folks at copperleaf and the BBG. We interviewed a few of the different builders that had lots we were interested in. We believe, as other posters have said, that any of the BBG builders will complete the job to your satsifaction and will build you a great home.

We decided to work with Cityscape Homes. We met several times, over a couple of months, discussing the plan, revisions, modifications, walking lots, and all sorts of details. During the entire initial process, everyone has made their best efforts to answers our questions and listen to our ideas.

We made a very conscience effort to get as detailed as possible while finalizing our plan prior to completing the contract. Cityscape gave us a spec sheet for one of their prior homes we had walked through at another subdivision which we used as the basis for our spec sheet. We added, deleted, and modified the spec sheet based on our wishes and plan. I think the builder and us our both happy that our final contract and spec sheet is very detailed.
As far as design cetners, I dont think they have an "in house" design center, but the suppliers have the design centers. Our target for completion is June, about 9 months for all of construction.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 AM

Thank you all for responding in such detail. This site is really awesome to educate buyers. You've been so helpful. I hope you can answer a couple more questions.

ncwannabe2, does Rice have an inhouse design center? When he gave you a spec sheet, did it go by levels like in a semi-custom builder? Was it detailed to the very core with the very specifics or general specifics? For example: the cabinets will look like such and such. The handrail will be such and such thick. The stainless steel sink will be 2 bowls vs. 1 bowl and even in size, etc. How detailed was the spec sheet?

Apex Hawk, like I wrote above, did your spec sheet get into the very very specifics or general? I think you were saying you looked at a house elsewhere by Cityscape with the spec sheet in hand to know what would be coming in your house at Copperleaf. Is this how you knew the "exacts", and then what you didn't like, you changed?? As well, why did you pick Copperleaf? And, what do you mean your plan was 90% final? Where does your plan come from, an architect?

Thank you again for your time!!!! It's very appreciated.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 PM

When he gave you a spec sheet, did it go by levels like in a semi-custom builder? Was it detailed to the very core with the very specifics or general specifics? For example: the cabinets will look like such and such. The handrail will be such and such thick. The stainless steel sink will be 2 bowls vs. 1 bowl and even in size, etc. How detailed was the spec sheet?

Apex Hawk, like I wrote above, did your spec sheet get into the very very specifics or general? I think you were saying you looked at a house elsewhere by Cityscape with the spec sheet in hand to know what would be coming in your house at Copperleaf. Is this how you knew the "exacts", and then what you didn't like, you changed?? As well, why did you pick Copperleaf? And, what do you mean your plan was 90% final? Where does your plan come from, an architect?

RS, We scoured the internet for a plan we liked, but one we knew we would modify slightly to fit our needs/wants. We took the plan to the builder and over many discussions made changes (increased room size, coffered ceiling, shower size, etc). Once we all agreed on the plan, and the specs the builder sent it off to the architect for the engineering plans. The specs were as detailed as possible and listed out the exterior, foundation, interior materials, and each room specifics. It did not go into specifics that are part of our allowances, ie sinks, cabinents, appliances, lights, etc. We did speak to several of the suppliers prior to finalization of the contract to ensure our allowances were sufficient to cover the specific items we wanted in the house. From waking through other Cityscape Spec homes and getting a spec sheet, we were pretty familiar with the "standard" items and the finish of their homes. Put as much as you can in the spec sheet that you positively know you want and then make sure your allowances are in line with the cost of the other items.

After looking all around Apex, Cary, Holly Springs, and North Raleigh, we chose Copperleaf for many reasons, location in west cary is an easy commute to RTP, Copperleaf will be accesible to 540 but not too close, the lots are 1/2 acre min., wooded lots and they actually are leaving the trees!, open space with the walking trails, and an amenity center and pool was very important for us. Plus, BBG homes are in a style and quality that we were looking for in next home.

Hope this helps and good luck

Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 PM

Thanks Apex Hawk. I am really glad you found a community that you like and are having a good building process. Regarding Copperleaf and it's bigger lot sizes - since no houses are built yet, does it seem that you are purchasing a house similar to one let's say in Weycroft, but then paying more in Copperleaf because the lot size is bigger? Are the cost of the houses in this community higher because of the land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary