Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM

66 posts, read 94,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrated84 View Post
We must be an exception, my fiance has higher wage here and better hours. I could imagine the job market is better up North, a lot of people leaving and moving here. The population increase in NC over the last few years has been substantial!
In what field is she working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Not quite sure what this sentence means. Could you explain please.

I know a librarian with her MLIS who took a $10,000/year cut in salary to move from Virginia to Durham.

An experienced dental hygienist who said she had no trouble finding a job up north has been working temp/fill-in positions in the area. None of the jobs she's interviewed for pay near what she was making before.

P.A. students who are about to graduate and starting to look for jobs have commented that the jobs in this area pay about a fourth less than the ones up north.

A psychiatrist friend interviewed for jobs in NC and reported that she would need to take about a 33% pay cut.

A Voc Rehab Counselor told me that she was making $15,000/year less than she was making in Minnesota.

I know this isn't a broad sample and perhaps tech folks with in-demand skills sets make comparable wages. But this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that in general the pay in NC is the same as farther north.
I understand where you and the moderator are coming from (not sure if is a man or a woman)I know no one wants a bunch of people moving to your city and making things worse, however I do think both of you point out how bad it is in NC and I am wondering why are you living there? I do want to know the truth of what's going on and not just "its great here, and its the best place on earth" because no one is going to like a place 100%. Everywhere you go you have your good and bad,but I think its just right of anyone to want to better their lives. I have never had a problem looking for work (thanks God) and my recent job I had to take a huge pay cut and its really a crappy job so its not just in NC that the economy is bad is everywhere. I know psychiatrist here working at Macys making less than me but what you have to understand is that psychiatrist who took a pay cut in NC will be ok however a pay cut of $15,000 in NYC is huge.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSP View Post
hate to say it but the climate is the worst reason to move here. And its just as cold at the moment. Public schools here suck as does public educatuion in general. The Wake county School district is politically motivated and students come last (in my opinion). For all the reasons you've mentioned i would not move here. I did move here because i am retired...but i am beginning to wonder if NC is the right place for me, considering relocating to southern Arizona. Good luck on whatever you decide.
By the way why do schools suck there?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinky223 View Post
I understand where you and the moderator are coming from (not sure if is a man or a woman)I know no one wants a bunch of people moving to your city and making things worse, however I do think both of you point out how bad it is in NC and I am wondering why are you living there? I do want to know the truth of what's going on and not just "its great here, and its the best place on earth" because no one is going to like a place 100%. Everywhere you go you have your good and bad,but I think its just right of anyone to want to better their lives. I have never had a problem looking for work (thanks God) and my recent job I had to take a huge pay cut and its really a crappy job so its not just in NC that the economy is bad is everywhere. I know psychiatrist here working at Macys making less than me but what you have to understand is that psychiatrist who took a pay cut in NC will be ok however a pay cut of $15,000 in NYC is huge.
As I mentioned before, things are heading down the toilet here with the present legislature. Perhaps things will change after the next election. These morons are just the worst, elitists with no feeling for the working class.

If I had the money, I'd really love to try living in Roosevelt Island, NYC but only a lottery hit could make this a reality.

Raleigh's OK but you need one of the careers that pay well. Teachers, police officers, and firefighters are treated quite shamefully along with many private sector employees.

If suburbia is your cup of tea, come on down and check it out.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
As I mentioned before, things are heading down the toilet here with the present legislature. Perhaps things will change after the next election. These morons are just the worst, elitists with no feeling for the working class.

If I had the money, I'd really love to try living in Roosevelt Island, NYC but only a lottery hit could make this a reality.

Raleigh's OK but you need one of the careers that pay well. Teachers, police officers, and firefighters are treated quite shamefully along with many private sector employees.

If suburbia is your cup of tea, come on down and check it out.
I think the whole US is going downhill, don't think that because NYC looks good on pics that's the reality of it. It's getting to be impossible to live here, we have a new mayor so let's see what he does.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:50 PM

51 posts, read 82,882 times
My fiance(he) is in environmental work. I agree with what everyone but also think as OP said the whole US is going to crap. We debated moving here, my parents moved here 5 years ago & raved about it. There is no such place with a great economy great schools excellent weather no crime perfect friendly people etc etc. I had that in my head about NC but changed my mind no it's not perfect but I like it. If there ever is was or will be a perfect place to live, it wont be for long. I drove myself crazy with relocation & just decided to go with it and make the best. We are planning on moving to the coast come summer, my fiance got an even better job offer there. As far as schools go, NC does have some good ones my daughter is 8 and I'm not crazy about her school now, but she is smart. Truth is more parents need to be pro active with their children and they will excel. I have family that live all over the country and while some states have more jobs it lacks in other areas. If you check the unemployment stats for the U.S. you will see that the WHOLE country is suffering. It may be cold down in NC right now, but the windchill in OHIO is -40 & they were under a level 3 snow emergency....I'll take North Carolina's cold anytime. It was 76 in Dec.....that's pretty tolerable lol

Old 01-07-2014, 08:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
I was born here. I'm a woman, btw.

I'm well-educated and I have a lucrative career. I love it here. Well, I'm not fond of the NCGA at the moment and our governor sucks, but other than that? Good place to live.

Would I think it was so good if my spouse and I didn't have great careers? I do not know. Like I said, I was born here. My whole family live here.

I think you could really enjoy it here.

IF you can find good jobs. IF you can afford a decent home and a good area to raise your child.

Those are huge IFs.

You don't mention whether you have family in NYC, but having family/friends nearby cannot be entirely discounted.

My point all along has been that you need to be sure that you'd like it here and stand a reasonable chance of decent employment. That's all.

I do wish you luck in your search.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
By the way why do schools suck there?
Statewide, the schools are not great (rural areas in particular) though in the wealthier areas, there are some good systems. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is known to be tops, although the cost of living there is also probably the highest in NC (no, this is not a coincidence--you are generally going to find school quality and COL hand in hand).

However, most who live in NC (except the Legislature) expect the quality of education to begin dropping fairly sharply, considering how poorly some recent laws have treated teachers. Pay is already very low (a 1.2% raise in 6 years) and tenure has been eliminated as have pay raises for getting Masters degrees. Add to this the already difficult job of being a teacher and having everyone blame you for anything wrong with their child, yet not being allowed to really discipline them in any way, and many, many teachers are calling it quits in NC and either moving to another state or leaving the profession altogether. That alone is a sign that schools won't be what they are now, in a couple of years; if there were a hospital where most of the doctors and nurses were leaving or had horrible morale because of changes in pay and working conditions, would you want to go there if you had a choice? I believe we are currently #46 in pay, but that could slip more if no more bonuses for Masters degrees, etc are awarded.

Google "NC education" or "NC teachers"--you can spend all weekend reading about the turbulent times going on in education in NC in general and in the Triangle area in the past 5 years or so.

Edit: in the NC forum, I just found this thread about more school cuts.

Last edited by Francois; 01-08-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 11:46 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
This is disappointing to hear. One of the main reasons we are moving our of Florida is because the schools are lacking here. When we spoke to others in NC (triangle area)they are always happy with the schools. I hate moving from one back school state to another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Statewide, the schools are not great (rural areas in particular) though in the wealthier areas, there are some good systems. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is known to be tops, although the cost of living there is also probably the highest in NC (no, this is not a coincidence--you are generally going to find school quality and COL hand in hand).

However, most who live in NC (except the Legislature) expect the quality of education to begin dropping fairly sharply, considering how poorly some recent laws have treated teachers. Pay is already very low (a 1.2% raise in 6 years) and tenure has been eliminated as have pay raises for getting Masters degrees. Add to this the already difficult job of being a teacher and having everyone blame you for anything wrong with their child, yet not being allowed to really discipline them in any way, and many, many teachers are calling it quits in NC and either moving to another state or leaving the profession altogether. That alone is a sign that schools won't be what they are now, in a couple of years; if there were a hospital where most of the doctors and nurses were leaving or had horrible morale because of changes in pay and working conditions, would you want to go there if you had a choice?

Google "NC education" or "NC teachers"--you can spend all weekend reading about the turbulent times going on in education in NC in general and in the Triangle area in the past 5 years or so.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

However, most who live in NC (except the Legislature) expect the quality of education to begin dropping fairly sharply, considering how poorly some recent laws have treated teachers. Pay is already very low (a 1.2% raise in 6 years) and tenure has been eliminated as have pay raises for getting Masters degrees. Add to this the already difficult job of being a teacher and having everyone blame you for anything wrong with their child, yet not being allowed to really discipline them in any way, and many, many teachers are calling it quits in NC and either moving to another state or leaving the profession altogether. That alone is a sign that schools won't be what they are now, in a couple of years; if there were a hospital where most of the doctors and nurses were leaving or had horrible morale because of changes in pay and working conditions, would you want to go there if you had a choice?

You're blending facts and opinion. First, it's not as if though there's going to be a mass exodus of teachers over the next few years because there aren't an abundance of better jobs elsewhere. Second, most of the educators I've come to know personally over the years are entrenched in the community with children of their own attending public schools and aren't likely to uproot and leave, Third, teachers are under attack all over the place, not just North Carolina. The town we moved from on Long Island is thisclose to a revolt against the local school district because of the suffocating costs, a situation that will eventually devolve into something quite ugly (not quite a fact but definitely more than conjecture). Good luck being a teacher there and taking a pay cut.

And lastly, my children continue to receive an excellent education courtesy of the Wake County Public School System. We often compare what they're learning to their peers in other parts of the country and are satisfied by how things shake out. There have been ongoing issues due to growth and newer ones courtesy of a Governor who appears to have a personal vendetta against educators. But politicians come and go and WCPSS is doing a better job managing growth. Is education currently a major reason to relocate to Wake County, no. But it also shouldn't be a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary