Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM

66 posts, read 94,014 times

Advertisements

Ok so m y husband,daughter and I are looking to move to NC (well im more excited than them) But I am so tired of the cold and snow here. My daughter's pre school teacher has family in Raleigh and mentioned the are having good schools. Now here are my questions

1- Good are for public schools? ( pvt schools are way too expensive over there)
2- Finding jobs? I work as a receptionist in a dental office but basic office work is fine for me, Husband drives trucks(non CDL). Will be easy to find jobs?
3-Crime stats? I have heard about auto theft and home robberies at lot in NC.
And last but not least how did you decided to move to NC (those that moved there) and I am talking about those who just up and left not those who got a job transfer or job offer. How did you do it? got a job first? found an apt?Save for at least 6 months of rent and food ect,ect, ect.

I know it's lots of questions but I don't know anyone in NC so I need as many questions answered as possible. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I would not move to a new place with a child and no jobs. Not unless I was prepared to move again if I couldn't find work AND I had about a years' worth of living expenses saved up.

Unless you are homeless right now, I don't know why you'd want to move here just for something like "weather."

Most people who post here looking to move generally have either a lot of money saved, family here, a job lined up already, or are retiring to the area.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I would not move to a new place with a child and no jobs. Not unless I was prepared to move again if I couldn't find work AND I had about a years' worth of living expenses saved up.

Unless you are homeless right now, I don't know why you'd want to move here just for something like "weather."

Most people who post here looking to move generally have either a lot of money saved, family here, a job lined up already, or are retiring to the area.
I am not moving just because of "weather" I am moving because living in NYC is getting to be too expensive for me and I am tired of working and never having $ left. That's the point of asking questions to find out how others did it, isn't it? I don't think I said I was going to move tomorrow with no job lined up and nowhere to live did I? I thought I was asking questions but I guess I was wrong.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
We moved here from the NYC area 3 years ago (from Long Island actually). We did "up and move here" but my DH could work from anywhere. My sister did "up and move here" (she came here first) and it all worked out for her but she is the first to say she was EXTREMELY lucky - and our parents, me and our other sister followed. We all went out to lunch today - very nice to have everyone here.

There is a thread stickied at the top of this forum which I suggest you read before asking general questions. You will find it most helpful. There are also places to get more specific info on your job prospects and crime stats. NC is a big state and you're moving from NYC where DeBlasio just became mayor so....really? on the crime thing.

What you won't find helpful is attacking people who reply to your posts, whether you like what they say or not. I've seen threads completely ignored when people express an attitude like yours. Whereas in NY people enjoy "engaging" because it's an outlet for their misery, here they won't much bother with you. I'm being totally serious. There ARE people who move here with no money, no job, no idea what they are doing and then they end up miserable and blame the place.

Again, read the stickied thread and you use the search function. Put in "wcpss" if you want info on the schools.

Good luck.

You did say you were sick of the cold. It was actually the first thing you said.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinky223 View Post
I am not moving just because of "weather" I am moving because living in NYC is getting to be too expensive for me and I am tired of working and never having $ left. That's the point of asking questions to find out how others did it, isn't it? I don't think I said I was going to move tomorrow with no job lined up and nowhere to live did I? I thought I was asking questions but I guess I was wrong.

You were asking questions, but you weren't really giving a full picture of why you wanted to move here, hence my confusion over your questions.

I did my best to answer them. Perhaps some of the people who moved here with no jobs can give you some extra insights. I know we do have some who moved here and were successful in finding decent jobs and we have some who moved here who are still looking... we also have had people here on this forum who moved here and wound up having to move again or to live here with their spouse working out of state because the job situation here wasn't right for them once they got here.

Realistic assessment. No BS. This area, and this forum, are pretty much welcoming places. We have a huge transplant population in the Triangle area, so questions from transplants are plentiful here. You might try searching the forums while you wait for more people to respond, to see what other info you can dig up.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:42 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
We moved to Raleigh from new Orleans in 1989 but I had a job.

Previously lived 10 years in Manhattan (Stuyvesant Town) and really miss the great transportation system that let you go places like the beach without traffic.

The roads here are poorly designed and horribly unsafe. Many drivers are ruder than NYC.

It may sound cheaper to live here but many jobs pay a lot less than NYC. No unions to speak of here.

You really need to visit long enough to get a feel for the area and decide if it fits your needs.

Don't come without jobs. The safety net in NC is full of holes.

I wish you the best.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We moved to Raleigh from new Orleans in 1989 but I had a job.

Previously lived 10 years in Manhattan (Stuyvesant Town) and really miss the great transportation system that let you go places like the beach without traffic.

The roads here are poorly designed and horribly unsafe. Many drivers are ruder than NYC.

It may sound cheaper to live here but many jobs pay a lot less than NYC. No unions to speak of here.

You really need to visit long enough to get a feel for the area and decide if it fits your needs.

Don't come without jobs. The safety net in NC is full of holes.

I wish you the best.
So for you it hasn't been that good then? and I see tons of videos from the raleigh area and the streets looked so good. I have seen lots of jobs on craigslist that offer health insurance, and believe it or not my job in NYC doesn't offer holiday pays or ins at all. My plan is to go during the summer and look for a job, then take it from there. I guess making the minimum of $7.25 over there doesn't is not enough to pay bills and rent no matter how cheap rent is.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
I think her point was that you seem to have already "decided" on NC (without ever even visiting ??????? ) without saying why here, in particular, since there are so many other places that are both warmer and cheaper than NYC. You should move somewhere because you want to be THERE, not because you want to be AWAY from somewhere else. NC isn't the only place that is "not NYC"...why here specifically?
Quote:
What you won't find helpful is attacking people who reply to your posts
Absolutely. The last thing you want to be in this area is a "stereotypical Noo Yawka" waiting to start an argument with everybody over everything. Manners are very important in the South.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think her point was that you seem to have already "decided" on NC (without ever even visiting ??????? ) without saying why here, in particular, since there are so many other places that are both warmer and cheaper than NYC. You should move somewhere because you want to be THERE, not because you want to be AWAY from somewhere else. NC isn't the only place that is "not NYC"...why here specifically?

I didn't know I had to visit a place to decide to move there,(lots of people get a promotion and up and leave) I have seen shows on tv and liked it, my daughter's pre k teacher family lives there. She has always mentioned NC to me. I picked NC because what I saw was nice and its not tooo far from my family here in NYC but I didn't know I had to explain my choices to everyone.

Absolutely. The last thing you want to be in this area is a "stereotypical Noo Yawka" waiting to start an argument with everybody over everything. Manners are very important in the South.
Frankly just from this post alone I don't think the whole " in the south we have manners" attitude is true. To be honest I am feeling NC less and less if these are the type of attitudes I will encounter. For that I stay right here.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Frankly just from this post alone I don't think the whole " in the south we have manners" attitude is true. To be honest I am feeling NC less and less if these are the type of attitudes I will encounter. For that I stay right here.
Well bless your heart. I hope that you find what you are looking for in some other, more welcoming state. I've heard that Florida is quite the destination for many New Yorkers that are tired of the cold, high cost of living, and rat race of the big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary