U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM

7,104 posts, read 10,860,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Shameful. Wake County is raising a generation of children who see the adults fold at even the slightest hint of adversity.
They don't want the kids to wait for the buses outside in that weather - seems reasonable to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,876,340 times
After shutting the water off at the main junction, I always open all my outdoor faucets to relieve pressure in the lines. Used to get a lot of cracked pipes before I started doing that.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:38 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,290,374 times
The schools also need to know if they're going to have (adequate) heat, running water, damage to deal with...

Those two hours give school personnel a chance to assess the situation, fix what can be fixed, and call off school if certain buildings aren't operational.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:41 PM

12,475 posts, read 30,874,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Shameful. Wake County is raising a generation of children who see the adults fold at even the slightest hint of adversity.
That may be your opinion.

My opinion is that we are showing our children that we care about their safety.

It is possible that there are puddles and wet areas left from the rain that could freeze. Those puddles could freeze and I wouldn't want my children on a bus that is driving on ice.

Vicki

Old 01-06-2014, 03:49 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,958,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Good advice I walked over to check on a neighbor's place this morning who is out of town. All his hoses were connected, and one faucet was still turned on with pressure on the line. That would have been a real headache

I also slip those hard foam covers over the faucets...just in case.
I lived in NY for 17 years and never did either of those things. Is it just in case any remaining water freezes, expands, and splits the hose? Why would there be that much water lingering in the hose or faucet or pipe? If I'm missing something I'd love to know!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:55 PM

1,649 posts, read 2,348,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Is it just in case any remaining water freezes, expands, and splits the hose?
If the hose is full of water, so is the freeze-proof faucet. Disconnecting the hose is intended to save the faucet, not the hose.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM

2,459 posts, read 7,732,839 times
For outdoor faucets/spigots - Frost free outdoor faucets *should* be fine, especially in a closed crawl space. A plunger/stem inside the faucet keeps the water inside the house. That said, I have a bath towel tie wrapped around a couple of our faucets - just because. Thirty six plus hours below freezing with some potential single digit temps is a bit unusual around here. Disconnecting the hose is required as noted above.

Frank

Old 01-06-2014, 04:09 PM

7,104 posts, read 10,860,466 times
This could happen to kids on the bus stop

Old 01-06-2014, 04:23 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,033,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
That may be your opinion.

My opinion is that we are showing our children that we care about their safety.

It is possible that there are puddles and wet areas left from the rain that could freeze. Those puddles could freeze and I wouldn't want my children on a bus that is driving on ice.

Vicki
Our point of disagreement would be whether or not there is a question of safety. There will be no frozen puddles of any consequence, and no traffic accidents caused by ice that would not happen otherwise. Kids will be fine -- they are better able to cope with cold weather than are the elderly and even the middle-aged. Temperatures such as we expect tomorrow are routine over the course of a lifetime, even in the South, and present no real danger. Within the last thirty years Raleigh has seen nine-below zero and lived through it with virtually no trouble at all except for some delicate plants dying.

On the other hand, by hunkering down the kids miss an opportunity to learn how to persevere and carry on, and to see how responsible adults deal with one aspect of adverse weather and keep their commitments. Kids also need to be in school on a regular basis, of course, if they are to be formally educated.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:11 PM

553 posts, read 1,211,534 times
You have got to be kidding me...There is perseverance and then there is downright stupidity.

I grew up in Western PA and spent 20 years in Buffalo. They know when it was not safe to have kids out in the cold! And, guess what? They have delays and/or cancellations when it is unsuitable to be outside. No long term effects of missing a day of school because of weather. So, if schools here need a delay because of weather that is uncommon here, seems to me the smart thing to do would be to delay so that the little ones get to school safe and warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary