U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 PM

2,465 posts, read 3,941,621 times

Advertisements

I've had spigots freeze and burst in the last few years, with not many days below freezing. It doesn't take much, these things are made from cheap metal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,037,040 times
I'm not kidding you at all. I do wonder, though, if you were here when we hit nine below, or if you're a newcomer as would be suggested by the 20-years-in-Buffalo.

But OK, I'm curious. Would Buffalo schools close for ten degrees ambient and zero degree windchill? It's not really that cold. People in other parts of the country experience this kind of cold every winter, and we in NC experience it more often than rarely -- fairly routine in Boone and Asheville, for example. And as another poster pointed out, it's not going to be appreciably warmer two hours later than normal opening time tomorrow.

Some of the little ones who are delayed two hours tomorrow are high school seniors who will be in boot camp at Paris Island six months from now . . .

Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,476,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I'm not kidding you at all. I do wonder, though, if you were here when we hit nine below, or if you're a newcomer as would be suggested by the 20-years-in-Buffalo.

But OK, I'm curious. Would Buffalo schools close for ten degrees ambient and zero degree windchill? It's not really that cold. People in other parts of the country experience this kind of cold every winter, and we in NC experience it more often than rarely -- fairly routine in Boone and Asheville, for example. And as another poster pointed out, it's not going to be appreciably warmer two hours later than normal opening time tomorrow.

Some of the little ones who are delayed two hours tomorrow are high school seniors who will be in boot camp at Paris Island six months from now . . .
Well of course most of us have experienced this. We're between 30-60 years old. These little kids in school are between 5-18, and it's been about that long since certain areas in the Southeast have been this cold. I'd say a 2hr delay is worth it.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:02 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,037,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
'd say a 2hr delay is worth it.
But what does it buy? It's not going to be appreciably warmer two hours later.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,476,295 times
Quote:
Family bonding and/or extra sleep. But one cannot put a price on that.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 PM

23,727 posts, read 13,807,073 times
I couldn't believe we ever hit -9 in my 47+ years. Sure enough, on one day while I was in school at State, the same "Arctic Vortex" blew up and on Jan 21, 1985 it happened. I'm assuming we took a voluntary leave of classes that day.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM

683 posts, read 1,788,845 times
As someone mentioned before, that two hours allows school officials to make sure everything is up and running properly so they can make further decisions as needed.

I have a question though.

I live in an apartment and management left notes all over the place instructing residents to leave their furnace on (duh) and to leave EVERY faucet in the unit dripping (I think they said a stream the width of a pencil) to prevent pipes from freezing.

I understand them expressing caution, but is it really necessary to leave EVERY faucet dripping? I don't mind "wasting" water, from a cost perspective, but I feel uncomfortable leaving all of my faucets running all day while I am at work. My drains drain fine, but I worry that some weird unexpected event might occur and I experience flooding instead of pipes bursting.

If it makes a difference, I am on the top/third floor of a three story building.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 PM

34,860 posts, read 34,135,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
As someone mentioned before, that two hours allows school officials to make sure everything is up and running properly so they can make further decisions as needed.

I have a question though.

I live in an apartment and management left notes all over the place instructing residents to leave their furnace on (duh) and to leave EVERY faucet in the unit dripping (I think they said a stream the width of a pencil) to prevent pipes from freezing.

I understand them expressing caution, but is it really necessary to leave EVERY faucet dripping? I don't mind "wasting" water, from a cost perspective, but I feel uncomfortable leaving all of my faucets running all day while I am at work. My drains drain fine, but I worry that some weird unexpected event might occur and I experience flooding instead of pipes bursting.

If it makes a difference, I am on the top/third floor of a three story building.
Do you have any that are against external walls? Those are the only ones you need to keep dripping.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Family bonding and/or extra sleep. But one cannot put a price on that.
Yeah. No reason to be out in such cold weather, being as it's unusual for this area.

If we often saw such cold temps, everyone would be used to them and it would take far colder temps to warrant delays.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The sun will be up. That feels warmer, even if it isn't warmer according to the thermometer.

Why are you really so riled about it, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary