U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM

12,667 posts, read 14,876,212 times

Advertisements

The Big Freeze | Our State Magazine of the winter of 1917-1918
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:31 PM

553 posts, read 1,212,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I'm not kidding you at all. I do wonder, though, if you were here when we hit nine below, or if you're a newcomer as would be suggested by the 20-years-in-Buffalo.

But OK, I'm curious. Would Buffalo schools close for ten degrees ambient and zero degree windchill? It's not really that cold. People in other parts of the country experience this kind of cold every winter, and we in NC experience it more often than rarely -- fairly routine in Boone and Asheville, for example. And as another poster pointed out, it's not going to be appreciably warmer two hours later than normal opening time tomorrow.

Some of the little ones who are delayed two hours tomorrow are high school seniors who will be in boot camp at Paris Island six months from now . . .
Well, since you asked...I've been in Raleigh for five years. Whether or not that makes me a newbie or not is irrelevant, although I do find your arrogance regarding my status intriguing.

Yes, Buffalo would close or delay schools, mainly because many children walk to school or have to walk to bus stops. I can recall several winters in which the air temperature, not wind chill, but air temperature was -10 to -15, hence the delay or cancellation. In fact, Buffalo schools are closed tomorrow. Don't believe me? Check out Closings & Delays. But, using your logic, they should be open because it's only going to be 7 degrees and those folks are used to it being cold.

Used to it, maybe...but not stupid. It's cold no matter how you try to spin it.

At any rate, I've grown tired of this conversation. There are just some things one cannot fix.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,476,295 times
I beg all of you naysayers to stand outside right now for 15-20 mins like a kid would for the bus. It's only 20 degrees.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 PM

9,572 posts, read 14,751,581 times
I'm personally glad that schools are delayed tomorrow because I dislike getting up early especially in the cold. But just for fun, I looked up the guidelines for a school district to our north - the way north - in Fairbanks, Alaska.

On page 18 of the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, they outline their policy for adverse weather conditions. I'll summarize below:

--Recess for elementary school students will be moved indoors when ambient air temperature or wind chill is -20 or colder.
--Athletic activities for middle and high school students will be canceled or moved indoors when ambient air temp. or wind chill is -20 degrees or colder
--Field Trips or Activities requiring busing for elem. and middle school students will be canceled if it's -40 or colder (for high school, it's up to the principal whether they cancel at 40 below)

http://www.k12northstar.org/sites/de...tyhandbook.pdf

I'd personally cancel school every day it's below 20 degrees since I hate cold, but it just goes to show you that some humans (not me!) can adapt to very cold weather.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:02 PM

497 posts, read 808,357 times
It's also a matter of coats and hats and gloves and such. We should have some light knit gloves somewhere....I'd have to find them. And only one kid has a sort-of thick coat, rated to maybe 30 degrees. The other one only has a knit jacket as he seems to have misplaced his sort-of thick coat. We definitely don't own any face masks or ear muffs, etc. Winter is usually pretty light and short here so we don't spend $100s on serious cold weather wear.

As for us, we're tracked out anyway! We do have Town of Cary ballet tomorrow for the three-year-old, but it isn't until 11:00.

We did have fun making s'mores in the gas fireplace tonight!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:20 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,197,299 times
When I was a kid we used to have to walk to school no matter how cold it was, sometimes it dipped into the teens and occasionally it even snowed... and it was stupid. It didn't build character, it was torturous and sometimes even painful. As we grew older we figured out ways to stay the heck out of the extreme weather, cramming into my friends hallway and pressing our faces against the glass to keep an eye out for the bus so we could time it and run for it when one showed up. And do you want to know what I do now on extremely cold mornings? I warm up the car and drive my son to the bus stop (which is actually further away from my house than the schools I used to walk too, go figure).

Besides, my kids were toughened up enough in New York before moving, they'd be learning nothing new from the experience of walking out into the worst of it tomorrow and waiting for a bus that might not come. Plus they haven't had proper outer gear for this weather in years. And if we were up north skiing and it got this cold I'd keep them off the slopes, there's a reason evolution weeds out the weak and stupid among us.

Stay warm all, it's already ugly cold out there.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 AM

263 posts, read 526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
On page 18 of the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District, they outline their policy for adverse weather conditions. I'll summarize below:

--Recess for elementary school students will be moved indoors when ambient air temperature or wind chill is -20 or colder.
--Athletic activities for middle and high school students will be canceled or moved indoors when ambient air temp. or wind chill is -20 degrees or colder
--Field Trips or Activities requiring busing for elem. and middle school students will be canceled if it's -40 or colder (for high school, it's up to the principal whether they cancel at 40 below)
It's all about perspective and what you're used to. In Alaska and "the North", they are used to cold temps like this. They are equipped to deal with them. Here, we're equipped to deal with cold, but we rarely experience temperatures THAT low. If it were this cold in Florida, some people would just simply die. For example, homeless people in Florida have likely never had to survive more cold than a blanket can remedy.

Likewise, 100 degrees here is a conversation piece. If it were 100 degrees in "the North", people start dying because they aren't equipped to deal with the heat like we are here. Some older houses just don't have air conditioning. Should we then berate them about their character-building?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 AM

13,086 posts, read 10,395,468 times
Quote:
But what does it buy? It's not going to be appreciably warmer two hours later.
I think it mainly buys the bus fleet time to get moving in the morning. Diesel doesn't do really well in the cold weather and if you aren't ready for it and aren't well practised in getting the rigs running, you will run into delays.. I grew up in the Chicago metro and lived in Minnesota for 7 years, and in neither place would they delay school for this. But when I was last home, I counted 4 boxes of hats, gloves, and scarves my mom has...and she doesn't hoard and giave away kid size stuff. Some families probably don't have sufficient winter stuff for the kid to be waiting outside for hours.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 AM

10,662 posts, read 7,338,525 times
Quote:
...and we in NC experience it more often than rarely -- fairly routine in Boone and Asheville, for example.
How is that relevant to what goes on here. I lived in Boone for 6 years, and people who live there have cloths to match the weather, the school-bus fleets are prepared, drivers experienced, and (in the case of frozen precip) they have equipment to clear the roads. Since Boone experiences it more often than rarely, they have more resources to deal with it, along with more experience, and a better prepared populous.

But here in the triangle, the FACT is that the last time we experienced weather like this was 14 years ago (I remember it vividly, my daughter was born that week, and spent her first 20 days on life support.)

Many kids don't have coats to wait for the bus
Buses don't have block heaters
The School Transportation Team does not have experience with these conditions, and mostly

Regarless of what happens in Boone, Chicago, or Michigan, they made a decision here to delay, they announced it with plenty of notice so people could make arrangements, and it's done.

I wonder if these cold temps will effect the cooking of my pizza and BBQ

Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 AM

40,814 posts, read 70,790,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
... pizza...
"Pizza?"

FINALLY! NOW we're getting somewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary