U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 04:00 PM

1,907 posts, read 2,985,093 times

Advertisements

Peoples opinion vary but if this cold snap that has 2/3rds of the US in one of the worse wide spread cold blasts in many years is any inclination the Cold is worse. point blank. period.

The affect on daily life is so drastic when it comes to the cold. Airport issues, car issues from dead batteries to tires. To water pipes freezing.

Not to mention that the cold is painful. Numb noses, fingers, toes, ears. And time consuming with all the extra time to layer clothes, warm cars, scrape ice....

Stay warm everyone. The heat is uncomfortable, but the Cold is a far more vicious beast.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,171,773 times
^It could go both ways as far as what's worse so it's definitely your opinion about what's worse and not proof.

Heat will stress a car's cooling system causing busted hoses and cracked radiators. Heat also causes slippery road surfaces if the car's tires are sub par due to the rubber becoming gooey.

The heat causes power outages due to the excess demand of air conditioners which also become taxed from constantly running and fail. Also, in a power outage in the winter one could simply put the food outside. In the heat the food spoils.

Cold can cause frostbite. Heat cause heat stroke. Far more people die from heat than frostbite.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 23,908,504 times
My wife cuddles more when it's cold.

[Could be a good thing; could be a bad thing.]

Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 PM

2,465 posts, read 3,939,231 times
I've been through power outages on dead of summer, and dead of winter. I'll take winter all day! I can wrap up and get warm, without any heat in the house. I can also use fire to stay warm in a pinch. Without power in the summer, all food goes bad, and living without A/C is miserable. I lived without power after hurricane Fran, for one week. Absolute misery. We emptied the fridge and freezer on the 2nd day. Took cold showers in the dark, just to sit and sweat in the house. No thanks.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 30,871,767 times
I'm not a big fan of extreme cold or extreme heat!

Which is worse? Ask me when it is 9 degrees outside or when it is 100 degrees!!!

I'd prefer 65 degrees with the Carolina sun shining!

Vicki

Old 01-06-2014, 08:25 PM

12,666 posts, read 14,858,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I've been through power outages on dead of summer, and dead of winter. I'll take winter all day!
Oh God, not me!! I would gladly trade the Hurricane Fran week-long outage (I was here for it) for the Dec 2002 ice-storm week-long outage (here for that one, too).

I cannot get warm in the house w/o heat with just blankets and coats. I've got no problem with the heat in summer, though. It wasn't even that hot after Fran. It was Sept and just in the 80s all that week (I looked it up).

Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'd prefer 65 degrees with the Carolina sun shining!
And I prefer 85 and sunny!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 30,871,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
And I prefer 85 and sunny!
And so the answer to the question..."which is worse, cold or heat?" depends on who you ask!!!

Vicki

Old 01-06-2014, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I like it hot. Born and bred southerner, here! I think the average person probably likes it around 72, but I am really happiest around 80-85. I need it to be 90 if I'm going in the water. I'd much prefer 85 over 65 and 95 over 55 and I think I'd rather have 105 over 45, but that one might be a toss-up. I'm stopping there.

I am very poor material for a Buffalo winter.

No way in heck would I take an ice-storm power outage over a hurricane power-outage. Hurricane Fran was terrifying (listening to trees crashing throughout the night), but afterward the weather was no problem at all. All the trees down on my street that made it impossible to drive through and the tree that fell on the house were a problem, but the temp after the hurricane was not an issue.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:34 PM

4,190 posts, read 5,493,657 times
Power outages are way worse in winter than summer. Although being in a hot house is definitely not pleasant, it is easier to get out and find a cool place to camp out longterm such as a theater, mall, gym, or pool. In winter, snow and ice can be formidable barriers to escaping your own icy home. Moreover, people are just naturally less inclined to out in the cold looking for places to excape than they would be in summer. The longer nights mean more time in the frigid darkness. And no matter how many people flippantly claim that you can put on more clothes and blankets to get warm, you still will be cold without heat. It is miserable to trudge through the thick cold in your home to use the restroom, and taking a shower is not even desirable or advisable. I feel that my life is much more in jeopardy during winter power outages than during summer outages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary