Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 11:34 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I am a lover of nature. I like peaceful, natural yards and I like manicured lawns. What I don't like is people trying to tell other people which type they ought to keep. As long as the lawn isn't overrun with weeds that are migrating to the neighbor's yard, is not left like an uncut prairie that's full of critters, and isn't full of cars up on blocks, why should any of us give our neighbors grief? I mean, as long as they try to maintain a pleasant environment that doesn't affect others' property values, no biggie, eh?

My lawn is manicured, but it came that way when we bought the house and we are keeping it up. We might well go in there and do some hardscaping to get rid of the golf course look out front. And all the japanese hollies... ye gods! If we cannot fashion those into a hedge that looks like a maze in progress, they'll have to go!

(we have about 48 of them... )
I honestly do not have a problem with their yard or the ungodly hours he spends working on it (sun up to sun down almost every day is quite noisy and I've never complained or cared). I don't even know them other than when he would knock on the door to ask to borrow my ladder or I had to take mail over that was misdelivered. I like my "forest" as it's gorgeous on warmer nights when I can light the firepit and enjoy time on my deck just enjoying the quiet night air. I get to live in society close to schools and stores and get a "get away" just by stepping on my deck.

We live in a subdivision so there are no abandoned cars, out-of-control weeds, etc. I honestly did not think it was a mean request at all and her nastiness about it was uncalled for. Be that as it may, the HOA is on my side as our covenants do not allow for items to be outside one's own fence from what I was told. Hopefully, this is the end of it. However, given her wonderful disposition last night, I'm thinking it won't be.

P.S. Your japanese hollies comment brought up images of the hedges in "The Shining" for some reason. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 11:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I honestly do not have a problem with their yard or the ungodly hours he spends working on it (sun up to sun down almost every day is quite noisy and I've never complained or cared). I don't even know them other than when he would knock on the door to ask to borrow my ladder or I had to take mail over that was misdelivered. I like my "forest" as it's gorgeous on warmer nights when I can light the firepit and enjoy time on my deck just enjoying the quiet night air. I get to live in society close to schools and stores and get a "get away" just by stepping on my deck.

We live in a subdivision so there are no abandoned cars, out-of-control weeds, etc. I honestly did not think it was a mean request at all and her nastiness about it was uncalled for. Be that as it may, the HOA is on my side as our covenants do not allow for items to be outside one's own fence from what I was told. Hopefully, this is the end of it. However, given her wonderful disposition last night, I'm thinking it won't be.

P.S. Your japanese hollies comment brought up images of the hedges in "The Shining" for some reason. lol

The hedges from "The Shining" would be preferable to me at this point.

I think that it was weird for them to be so defensive about a polite note. People are weird sometimes. We have neighbors who spend a lot of time (early in the AM on weekends) working in their yards... which, when I'm trying to catch some sleep? Ugh. We have a lawn service. We do have a neighbor that balks at spending money on lawn services, but we think our time is worth more than we pay them to keep the grass trimmed (which they do mid-afternoon on weekdays, and even though I work from home and it bugs me sometimes, it's got to be better than 8am on a Saturday, because my neighbors all work day hours, nearest I can tell).

I'm glad the HOA is standing up for you. I'd still consider a fence, because I bet they'll do something weird again, yanno?

Old 01-09-2014, 12:30 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I feel for you. I had a neighbor who put his big fake deer in my yard for target practice and it turned into a very strange exchange that is fortunately now resolved. Hope your HOA comes through for you and if not, please do go with Tibetan flags plus sex toys plus creeping vines, then post pics.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
The hedges from "The Shining" would be preferable to me at this point.
That bad, huh. ;-) Remember when ice cream trucks used to be VERY loud? My father worked midnights and needed to sleep during the day. I recall him going outside and talking to the ice cream guy with gun in hand. He came through our neighborhood, but never blaring that song again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I feel for you. I had a neighbor who put his big fake deer in my yard for target practice and it turned into a very strange exchange that is fortunately now resolved. Hope your HOA comes through for you and if not, please do go with Tibetan flags plus sex toys plus creeping vines, then post pics.

OMG! I had surgery and it still hurts to laugh out loud! Nevertheless, I promise to post pics if it comes to that.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
please do go with Tibetan flags plus sex toys plus creeping vines, then post pics.
When you combine them all at once like that, you just gave me some great valentines day ideas.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM

Oh, and they park their car in front of my house. They have the WHOLE front of their house on the other side of their driveway, but it has to be "pristine" over here, I guess. I use my driveway and never park on the street unless I'm blocking my driveway for the kids to ride their bikes or play. I know the street is "public" property but I don't get why their perfect little abode means everyone around them endures their "unsightly" chattel.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, and they park their car in front of my house. They have the WHOLE front of their house on the other side of their driveway, but it has to be "pristine" over here, I guess. I use my driveway and never park on the street unless I'm blocking my driveway for the kids to ride their bikes or play. I know the street is "public" property but I don't get why their perfect little abode means everyone around them endures their "unsightly" chattel.

Put your trashcan in the spot where they always park, even on non pickup days? Or a nice semi-permanent pile of mulch that you never get around to wheeling to the backyard

Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 PM

We aren't allowed to have the bins out except the night before and day of pickup, but I can definitely do the mulch thing. I have enough leaves with the "forest" around my house. I think princesses should live in castles. ;-)

Old 01-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
We aren't allowed to have the bins out except the night before and day of pickup, but I can definitely do the mulch thing. I have enough leaves with the "forest" around my house. I think princesses should live in castles. ;-)
You could put this on your lawn near the space whenever their car is there:

http://www.amazon.com/MORON-FAMILY-P...family+parking

Old 01-09-2014, 01:13 PM

Have some mercy, please?!?! I hurts when I laugh!!!

In retrospect, I wish I had come here first before trying to write a polite note to them. I'm sure you all would have had it fixed without any of the princess' tantrum. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary