Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:11 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,884 times

Advertisements

My neighbors have a huge ladder suspended on their fence on my side of the yard. Yes, it's their fence and their yard, but I wrote a note asking if they would mind moving it. The wife just came over here with a really snotty attitude saying it's their property and they can have the ladder there as long as they want. I even put in the note that I was concerned because I have two young children.

Am I supposed to deal with their eyesore because they don't want to put the ladder on the other side of the fence or in their garage? Can anybody just hang whatever they want on their fence which faces somebody else's yard?

MJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,578,469 times
^Yes and yes. Besides, it's not their eyesore. It's yours.

Maybe try talking to the husband when the wife isn't around? And don't leave a note, either. I would talk face to face. However, I would approach the subject very carefully and wouldn't mention a thing about the ladder being an eyesore for you. I would put all the focus on the safety of the kids. Keep in mind that will only carry you so far as the neighbors could very easily tell you to teach your kids to keep their hands off of stuff that doesn't belong to them and they won't get hurt.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM

871 posts, read 3,017,998 times
I would make it a bigger issue. It seems like an invitation to a burglar to use that ladder to access your house and possibly harm your family. Only a complete idiot would store a "huge" ladder outside.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM

Thanks underPSI for taking the time to respond. I find both of them a bit too snobby and unapproachable which is why I wrote a short and polite note just asking them to consider moving it. I will contact the HOA tomorrow to find out if there are any provisions regarding this situation. Otherwise, I will just use our firepit in that corner of the yard and hope their ladder doesn't go ablaze. ;-)

Thanks eloyfan. I would think they would have been nicer about this considering they borrowed my two-story ladder many times to access their roof when they first moved here. Basically, she is a snob and her yard has to be "perfect" so the big, giant ladder gets to hover over into my yard. She was NOT nice about saying they wouldn't be moving it either.

Kind regards,
MJ

Last edited by mjd07; 01-08-2014 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: added another response

Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Only a complete idiot would store a "huge" ladder outside.
Hey, you're stepping on some toes over here

Old 01-08-2014, 06:24 PM

I shake my head when I hear of people being so clueless and inconsiderate (I know, happens all the time). I have never heard of anyone, anywhere, utilizing the outside of their neighbor-facing fence to hang or suspend anything, except perhaps hanging flower baskets or something modestly decorative. If you have an HOA, you should be able to get some satisfaction in the matter. The subdivision I lived in before didn't even allow fences. So sorry you have such rude neighbors. I feel for you.

Maybe that ladder will "walk" one day soon.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Hey, you're stepping on some toes over here
I know, I know.......I had a 22' extension ladder outdoors for years, but it was under my deck and chained and padlocked......no offense!

Old 01-08-2014, 06:28 PM

It's kind of strange to me too. I have a two-story ladder and it's under my deck. I've lost count how many times they've borrowed it before they got theirs (and I honestly didn't mind). It would never occur to me to be so nasty and inconsiderate to a neighbor. She came over here almost looking for a fight! I don't even know these people other than a few waves when we're all outside or when I accidently got their mail and returned it to them. Ugh. I tried to ask nicely and that didn't work. I hope the HOA will be able to ask with a little more umph.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:33 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
I know, I know.......I had a 22' extension ladder outdoors for years, but it was under my deck and chained and padlocked......no offense!
I have a 24', a 16' and four step ladders of different lengths...all neatly hanging under a shelter. I wouldn't hang one from a fence anyway, and certainly never on my neighbors side. That guy sounds like a jerk mjd07 has living next door.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,082 times
Being neighborly, you could always donate a can of WD40 to them as a goodwill gesture, leaving it on the ladder for them to pick up, with an note attached saying you hope they accept it as sort of a peace offering, adding a friendly reminder that they want to be sure not to get it on the ladder rungs due to slippage hazard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary