Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:36 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm no expert on construction matters, but it seems to me that everything structural (i.e. that would hold the building up in a high wind like that) would have likely already been added to the buildings by the time they reached that stage of construction, and if anything the fact that things like windows and siding were not yet added would have allowed wind to pass through the structure more easily than if those were in place, because there would be less material to "catch" the wind. Basically, I'm wondering if that collapse would have happened anyway once the project was complete (likely hurting or killing folks).

Am I wrong? Is there something that would be added later that would add enough strength to the building to endure those winds? I know its hard to really see what was there and isn't, but typically crews don't frame the outside and then later on go in and start thinking about load bearing joints after the fact. Brick veneer is one possibility that comes to mind, which would help somewhat I guess, but isn't going to hold the building up.

Maybe I'd just like to think the state of new construction around here hasn't gotten THAT bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 05:03 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
if anything the fact that things like windows and siding were not yet added would have allowed wind to pass through the structure more easily than if those were in place, .
It is a fallacy that leaving windows and doors open in strong winds such as hurricanes and tornadoes help the wind "pass through" - all it does is give the wind the chance to get inside and blow down the walls or lift off the roof. I've no idea what happened with that construction at Brier Creek but it sure doesn't look good for the builder!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Think the date on the thread title should read 1-11-14

Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Think the date on the thread title should read 1-11-14

Fixed First date I wrote of new year. I Changed it as I didnt want people freakin rest of the week.

Im glad everyone survived today that crazy wind event, It was kinda fascinating. Crazy that new huge house just blown over like it was a bail of hay.

I guess I should had mention when I posted this alert that I was in Piedmont under that green and rain was coming in heavy sideways from the south west.

I heard thunder so ... seven days til powder which is normal for NC.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:01 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It is a fallacy that leaving windows and doors open in strong winds such as hurricanes and tornadoes help the wind "pass through" - all it does is give the wind the chance to get inside and blow down the walls or lift off the roof. I've no idea what happened with that construction at Brier Creek but it sure doesn't look good for the builder!
Actually the myth about open windows in tornados is based on a different type of pressure equalization, and I've never heard anyone say open windows in a hurricane to let wind pass through, I was simply thinking that if a structure is only partially framed, there seems to be less that can provide resistance for the wind (think of a sail on a boat).

A better example might be trees -- if you look at trees damaged by "normal" high winds (not necessarily tornados since they can result in many odd types of damage), you'll see that the trees that tend to get uprooted or broken are often the ones with the most leaves in the top part of the tree, regardless of the health of the tree. You often see healthy, thick (strong) trees snapped in two while right next to it will be a skinnier dead tree that wasn't phased by the wind, because the leaves in the top of the healthy tree provide wind resistance and stress the tree more.

But yes I do see what you're saying, depending on the building it may have just allowed wind to get in and use the interior to provide more resistance than the outside walls might otherwise have. But still, if they are building these things THAT flimsy these days I think a lot of us are in trouble.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:50 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
All I had was a 45 mph wind at 1:31 this afternoon and .3 or rain. No power for six hours, not bad at all.....

Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
WRAL says the high winds in that area were something like 83 mph winds, which is the highest we've ever had in the area. The highest, before this, was 79 mph.

Not sure how the house was "expected" to withstand those winds but it is scary to see it just topple.

Another agent told me it was in the Toll Brothers section but I'm not 100% sure. If I were the buyer, I'd want it explained to me.

Vicki

Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 PM

449 posts, read 699,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I heard thunder so ... seven days til powder which is normal for NC.
Can you explain, SunnyKayak? Yeah, I'll always be a newbie probably

Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
A co-worker sent that to my BF a little while ago. Its very strange since we are approximately 2 miles from Brier Creek and had very little wind and only heavy rain for a few minutes. The co-worker said his neighborhood in N. Raleigh had very high wind - someone lost their roof and a woman was killed because of a fallen tree. Very sad.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
Can you explain, SunnyKayak? Yeah, I'll always be a newbie probably
Snow will supposedly follow any thunder in the Winter. It thundered a lot last night here in Atlanta, and my iPhone says snow for Wednesday here. I'll believe it when I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary