Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times

Advertisements

For those of you in Raleigh, I hope you are safe and well.

Fran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
What about the rest of us???

Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
I'm in Garner, but I am thoroughly enjoying the beautiful sunshine today .

Old 01-12-2014, 10:42 AM

513 posts, read 695,833 times
The winds were strong yesterday. I was legitimately scared I was going to see my first tornado.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:20 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
LOL Well, of course I wish NO harm to anyone anywhere. :-) It's just that I saw a video, on CNN, of the Raleigh storm. Good gawd, that storm and winds took down houses!

And, JMM, I've been in three tornados in my life -- two in Alton, IL, and one in Ft. Sill, OK. I am here to tell you that you never want to be in a tornado, an earthquake, a hurricane -- you get the idea. One of the main reasons I left California was because I was SO tired of all the earthquakes (over 45 years). Now I live in NM -- we are in a severe drought (if we had enough water I might stay here ) -- and we have a relatively mild change of seasons here, but we don't have any major weather problems. (Knock on wood. ) It is SO nice not to have to live through anything major (except drought).

Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I saw that youtube video of a multi-family place at framing stage in Brier Creek that was blown over.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 PM

513 posts, read 695,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
LOL Well, of course I wish NO harm to anyone anywhere. :-) It's just that I saw a video, on CNN, of the Raleigh storm. Good gawd, that storm and winds took down houses!

And, JMM, I've been in three tornados in my life -- two in Alton, IL, and one in Ft. Sill, OK. I am here to tell you that you never want to be in a tornado, an earthquake, a hurricane -- you get the idea. One of the main reasons I left California was because I was SO tired of all the earthquakes (over 45 years). Now I live in NM -- we are in a severe drought (if we had enough water I might stay here ) -- and we have a relatively mild change of seasons here, but we don't have any major weather problems. (Knock on wood. ) It is SO nice not to have to live through anything major (except drought).
I've lived in MA my whole life before moving last year to NC. A few tornadoes have touched down in MA over the years, but I have never seen one. I noticed the "watches" were becoming more common over the years. However, I never actually felt like one would touch down. The winds on Saturday were much stronger than anything I had ever experienced (although short lived) and the warning on my phone to seek shelter was also never something I had experienced. It was the first time I really thought I was in danger of being stuck in a tornado

Old 01-13-2014, 05:54 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
We were out doing some shopping when the tornado warnings popped up. For some reason my kids started to panic. We had just left the Triangle Town Center area. My wife suggested we go to the mall for "shelter" I told her she was crazy, and suggested a parking deck...to which she responded that I was crazy. I ended up at the big concrete parking deck at Wake Tech North. We waited out the worst of the storm and listened to the reports while watching the radar on our phones, etc. I was a bit worried about our house, which is on a heavily wooded lot. But I felt pretty secure in the parking garage...much more than inside the mall!

I've seen a few isolated pockets of very heavy damage, like hwy 98 near the Wake County trash and recycling center, and Six Forks Rd near Adams Mountain. The weather service said no tornadoes, but the wind damage sure seems isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary