Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM

449 posts, read 699,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Imaps is your friend, there is a crime overlay. It only covers Wake County though and I don't know if surrounding counties have anything similar.

http://maps.raleighnc.gov/iMAPS/index.html
Imaps is an amazing resource, I second the suggestion. I don't see it recommended much, but people really should check it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 03:04 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you didn't like Chapel Hill you might as well cross Carrboro off your list, too. You were probably in Carrboro when you visited and didn't even know it. I rarely have ANY traffic issues in Chapel Hill and I think you will find traffic much, much worse in the rest of the Triangle. Maybe you just had a bad day in Chapel Hill.
Traffic on NC54 in Chapel Hill can be pretty crummy in rush hours. 15/501 is not great either but better since the "super street" construction. That said, there is "some" traffic in pretty much all corners of the Triangle. But our rush hour tends to be short. Traffic is only significant for about 60 minutes in the afternoon each day.

I would suggest the OP look in the Apex and south/west Cary area. Apex has a nice little downtown, and if you want to know the definition of a safe suburb, Cary is it.

Last edited by orulz; 01-16-2014 at 03:15 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I see that Milwaukee recently made Forbes top ten list of most dangerous cities.
Milwaukee #10 on Forbes’ “Most Dangerous Cities” list | FOX6Now.com
Now I understand why the OP was interested in looking for safe suburbs.
That all said, I think it's important to understand where Raleigh lands when compared to other cities for violent crime.
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
While Milwaukee's rate is 1294.5, Raleigh's is 423.2.
I think it's important to understand this sort of data so that one can make an informed decision.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:58 PM

18 posts, read 42,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Traffic on NC54 in Chapel Hill can be pretty crummy in rush hours. 15/501 is not great either but better since the "super street" construction. That said, there is "some" traffic in pretty much all corners of the Triangle. But our rush hour tends to be short. Traffic is only significant for about 60 minutes in the afternoon each day.

I would suggest the OP look in the Apex and south/west Cary area. Apex has a nice little downtown, and if you want to know the definition of a safe suburb, Cary is it.
Thank you so much for the information you had provided. That is good to know about the traffic in the Chapel Hill area, that is doesn't last for too long. I will be sure to check out the Apex and Cary area. I was also thinking of checking out Clayton. I know it is a little further out, but it may work too. Do you know anything about that area??

Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I see that Milwaukee recently made Forbes top ten list of most dangerous cities.
Milwaukee #10 on Forbes’ “Most Dangerous Cities” list | FOX6Now.com
Now I understand why the OP was interested in looking for safe suburbs.
That all said, I think it's important to understand where Raleigh lands when compared to other cities for violent crime.
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
While Milwaukee's rate is 1294.5, Raleigh's is 423.2.
I think it's important to understand this sort of data so that one can make an informed decision.
Good to know rating wise Raleigh is less violent than Milwaukee!!

Old 01-17-2014, 05:31 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
If Clayton will work for you it is a very nice area. Lovely homes, more affordable than Wake County, and good schools.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
I like Apex maybe Holly Springsl

Old 02-04-2014, 08:29 AM

We will be looking more seriously at Apex...It looks like it has a lot of what we are looking for.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:59 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsfechter View Post
We will be looking more seriously at Apex...It looks like it has a lot of what we are looking for.
Apex is a solid choice. It addresses many of your criteria, is conveniently located and offers a good balance between quaint village and new construction. Plus, if you love pizza it also offers one of my all-time favorite restaurants, Anna's Pizzeria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary