Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM

139 posts, read 617,648 times

Advertisements

hi Dansdrive! I agree with your comment/question Is the salaries that much better in LA and NYC on average than say Raleigh area? Is the cost of non housing related items that much cheaper in LA and NYC area to allow people to spend more on their housing? I think not. Definitely not. The salaries are a little bit better in NY than other parts BUT the price of housing is out of control. Clients I speak to work 2 and 3 jobs (I am one of them working 2 right now) to pay their mortgages...at one point I was working 3 jobs, 7 days a week to pay my mortgage, common fees $334 per month & HOA assessment of $230 per month. It is definitely supply and demand, and where I am in Westchester county is a prime location BUT I question (not out loud of course) how some people are affording homes in the 700K-900K range (3 or 4 bedrooms) and are able to pay their taxes 12-18K approx...without having a second or 3rd job...not everyone is a doctor or lawyer...or are they???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
Welcome to Boston.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:15 AM

920 posts, read 2,812,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Wow it's hard to look at that picture! "Open and airy floor-plan." must be sarcasm! And the "Nice size lot." must be a joke!
And a detached garage! That poor little house looks like the garage itself.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieproductions View Post
hi Dansdrive! I agree with your comment/question Is the salaries that much better in LA and NYC on average than say Raleigh area? Is the cost of non housing related items that much cheaper in LA and NYC area to allow people to spend more on their housing? I think not. Definitely not. The salaries are a little bit better in NY than other parts BUT the price of housing is out of control. Clients I speak to work 2 and 3 jobs (I am one of them working 2 right now) to pay their mortgages...at one point I was working 3 jobs, 7 days a week to pay my mortgage, common fees $334 per month & HOA assessment of $230 per month. It is definitely supply and demand, and where I am in Westchester county is a prime location BUT I question (not out loud of course) how some people are affording homes in the 700K-900K range (3 or 4 bedrooms) and are able to pay their taxes 12-18K approx...without having a second or 3rd job...not everyone is a doctor or lawyer...or are they???
Hi Anne and I would say No they are not. I lived in upstate NY and use to travel down state NY with my job and remember the high cost of real estate near NY city area. Even upstate NY taxes were $8 - $15k per year on a single family home. Good luck in selling your condo and hopefully you can move down here and get a great house and do it all with just one job! Happy Holiday's.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 AM

139 posts, read 617,648 times
Thanks Dansdrive! Happy holidays to you! Maybe I should make moving to NC my NEW YEARS RESOLUTION...it will be an easy one to keep!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Hi Anne and I would say No they are not.
A surprisingly large number are not.

On another thread here on the board I made the comment that many families living in million dollar homes are one or two paychecks away from being homeless...

According to stats, most true millionaires aren't living in million dollar homes - in fact, most live in homes under $500k.

I had a few friends who lost their homes in swanky parts of surrounding L.A. when on spouse lost a job... The first few times, I was surprised (because I thought the families were wealthy), but now it doesn't surprise me anymore.

I had another friend who was staring on a television sitcom (making VERY, VERY good money by anyone's standards), and his accountant told him that he couldn't afford to by a home that was comparable to the apartment he was living in.

Shortly before I moved, an article came out in the news saying that 80% of 2 income families can NOT truly afford to buy a home in L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Wow it's hard to look at that picture! "Open and airy floor-plan." must be sarcasm! And the "Nice size lot." must be a joke!
Yes, housing in L.A. is a joke. Unfortunately, that listing is real.

Now you see why transplants who come here (even Durham) and RAVE.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Perhaps that's the photo of the detached garage? :-)

Old 11-28-2007, 12:17 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Perhaps that's the photo of the detached garage? :-)
Wishful thinking, for SURE!

One of my favorite 'haunts' in L.A. used to be a detached garage: TIKI-TI History
Small, but fabulous!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times
Perhaps......just perhaps that house was to be the set of a new for TV sitcom series that got canceled due to the writers strike! j/k

Old 11-28-2007, 04:30 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,963,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
And a detached garage! That poor little house looks like the garage itself.
Charlie Brown Christmas tree of homes :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary