Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 AM

3,656 posts, read 3,916,569 times

Advertisements

This announcement is nothing new for NC State. Its Centennial Campus is the nation's supposed first and largest partnership between private companies and university research.

Bio sciences and textile research at Centennial Campus are and have always been on the forefront of innovation.

I'm happy that the Triangle will emerge as an (or THE) epicenter of smart grid technology.

The Triangle will always be known for "Trees, Tees (golf) and Ph-ds."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:08 PM

449 posts, read 698,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
RTP has been "The Silicon Valley of the Southeast" for a couple of decades now; it just grew a little bit in scale. But still not like the real SV. However, more and more companies have anchor offices in both places. But VASpaceman is correct in that the climate--both scientific and social--of the San Jose area beats anything we will have here. And with NC in the news so much lately for regressing into the 1950s on so many things, the very risk-taking, young, creative types required to build this kind of industry and who are being wooed by multiple companies including SV will to at least some degree see what's happening politically here and decline the offer for a more open-minded state.
[emphasis mine]
Francois, you are spot on with your thoughts here.

There is truly an economic and cultural downside to all the backward legislation coming out of the GA, especially when they deliberately override local laws that try to move forward despite what the state does.

This is noticed nationally and especially in places like Silicon Valley. I moved here from Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale) and get asked about "what the hell is going on over there?" enough to concern anyone.

The GA is taking aim at one of NC's biggest golden geese -- the innovative tech/creative workforce. I love this place and don't want it to spiral downhill just as I'm settling in

/soapbox

Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,142,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
Francois, you are spot on with your thoughts here.

There is truly an economic and cultural downside to all the backward legislation coming out of the GA, especially when they deliberately override local laws that try to move forward despite what the state does.

This is noticed nationally and especially in places like Silicon Valley. I moved here from Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale) and get asked about "what the hell is going on over there?" enough to concern anyone.

The GA is taking aim at one of NC's biggest golden geese -- the innovative tech/creative workforce. I love this place and don't want it to spiral downhill just as I'm settling in

/soapbox

Yup. I agree.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 PM

164 posts, read 286,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
I used to live near Seattle ("Silicon Forrest") and have spent lots of time in Austin ("Silicon Hills"). Those cities look they are most likely to be the next Silicon Valleys. In fact, in many ways they already are. Seattle has Microsoft, Amazon, Disney Interactive, and countless other companies, startups, more billionaires, millionaires, investors than you can shake a stick at, otherworldly geography, an entrepreneurial spirit, an incredible foreign port city near by (Vancouver, British Columbia), a SciFi museum started by Paul Allen (Microsoft) that has R2D2 and the queen alien from Aliens, and on and on.
My husband just walked from Microsoft after 7 years. We moved out here after living just a few miles from the main Redmond campus. Many of his former co-workers came over from both Dis and Amazon, in fact. Ironically, he now has 2 of his former co-workers eyeing jobs here in the NC area after noting his success. There is a (major) demand for highly skilled tech workers here.. As much as I love Seattle, there are many downsides that have their fresh talent, also walking. (Traffic, COL, and when your nerds decide to start families - weather becomes a major beacon to move elsewhere) Is NC the next Silicon Valley?! Ehh. Not sure. But I without a doubt, there are some who are opening their eyes to outside opportunities..

Politically, I can tell you the majority on the West Coast are less than impressed. The current NC political climate is doing themselves little favor encouraging external talent with their current ways. We certainly(!) braved the waters. It is a delicate balance that needs to be realized by the "powers at be" in our state. Otherwise, they will indeed find their selves going back in time, while other areas of the country are progressing or (gasp) dare I say evolving. But, perhaps that is their motive?! Time will tell.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernInSeattle View Post
My husband just walked from Microsoft after 7 years. We moved out here after living just a few miles from the main Redmond campus. Many of his former co-workers came over from both Dis and Amazon, in fact. Ironically, he now has 2 of his former co-workers eyeing jobs here in the NC area after noting his success. There is a (major) demand for highly skilled tech workers here.. As much as I love Seattle, there are many downsides that have their fresh talent, also walking. (Traffic, COL, and when your nerds decide to start families - weather becomes a major beacon to move elsewhere) Is NC the next Silicon Valley?! Ehh. Not sure. But I without a doubt, there are some who are opening their eyes to outside opportunities..

Politically, I can tell you the majority on the West Coast are less than impressed. The current NC political climate is doing themselves little favor encouraging external talent with their current ways. We certainly(!) braved the waters. It is a delicate balance that needs to be realized by the "powers at be" in our state. Otherwise, they will indeed find their selves going back in time, while other areas of the country are progressing or (gasp) dare I say evolving. But, perhaps that is their motive?! Time will tell.
Thanks for the well-written corroboration, and the wealth of great info. Quality of life matters to everyone, especially knowledge workers. And people are paying attention to what happens pollitcally to impact that quality.

Evolution happens, whether you believe in it or not

Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,296,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtenguyinnc View Post
your first claim struck me as a little odd so i looked it up and as i expected, both industries have been growing faster than the rest of the economy. Perhaps the local industry has been contracting in that area but i don't have data on that.

the reason it struck you as strange is because your conclusions are based on pr based media outlets and rosy government statistics, not years of first hand experience. The turn down in the triangle was just a smaller reflection of what is happening industry wide. redundancies from m&a's (such as the acquisition of wyeth in rtp), cutbacks in r&d spending, patent expirations, and particularly rollbacks in reimbursement from gov't subsidies have all taken their toll. because the development time is 8 or more years, you're looking at a dearth of new products for years to come..

it's true that companies aren't investing enough (imo) in r&d. They want the federal government and academia (and ultimately the taxpayer) to foot the bill for basic research, and then they take swipes at the the lack of "job training" the students receive and the cost of education.

the taxpayer already foots the bill through medicare / aid for the products which are successful. R&d is inherently risky and expensive, and wall street expects returns every quarter, not five years from now. The easiest way to accomplish this is cut r&d combined with massive share buybacks. There are also other, structural reasons why the academic / startup environment is more conducive to the discovery phase.

The main reason why we hear upper mgmt. Talking about lack of job training is that they would like to create political pressure to increase the number of work visas to hire foreign workers to cut costs. I believe this is foolish and short sighted but am powerless to stop them.

anyway, this is great news for rtp and ncsu. I think the title of this thread is a bit overboard but this may help to rebuild some of the local hardware industry which seems to be slipping away.
-rr

Old 01-16-2014, 03:40 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,069,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan;3[QUOTE
3042355] ....Silicon Valley.....friendly laid back but very smart people....
The Silicon Valley is anything but laid back. It's a dog eat dog, workaholic center of type A personalities in a pressure cooker. I grew up there. I work for a Valley company and I go there often enough to see that with my own eyes.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:04 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,296,743 times
[quote=rnc2mbfl;33050565][quote=VASpaceMan;3

The Silicon Valley is anything but laid back. It's a dog eat dog, workaholic center of type A personalities in a pressure cooker. I grew up there. I work for a Valley company and I go there often enough to see that with my own eyes.[/QUOTE]

Agree, the "geek chic" counterculture is mostly a facade.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:09 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,142,774 times
[quote=RoaminRebel;33050877]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

Agree, the "geek chic" counterculture is mostly a facade.

I agree with you both.

It has the air of "work all day and night" about it.

We've talked about moving out there for specific opportunities and I'd do it, but I really do prefer it here.

The "geek chic" thing sells movie tickets.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

The Silicon Valley is anything but laid back. It's a dog eat dog, workaholic center of type A personalities in a pressure cooker. I grew up there. I work for a Valley company and I go there often enough to see that with my own eyes.
C'mon, there is some laid-backness there… although it's no Santa Cruz
Oh, ok… it is very fast moving and it can be difficult to keep employed if you want a really good job.. And maybe I just had a particularly nice set of really geeky friends. Did you notice how many engineers are also musicians? Good times… back to the subject...

One of the reasons I hear commentary from over there on what's happening here is because so many folks do what you do… work for a company that either has business ties or has offices/R&D here. My DH was able to join a hockey team here before we even found a place to live, because there were so many folks with ties of some sort in both areas

I didn't plan on it, but I've become very involved with local planning and (can't be avoided) some of the politics to go with that, because I think Raleigh and the Triangle are beautiful, including some of the great parts of Sillycon Valley -- interesting educated people from everywhere, culture and music scenes to enjoy and the spark we find in our old downtown neighborhood.

Couple that with the innate friendliness which I gather is an NC trait , history (I'm an history buff), and the fact that there's time to steer the growth of this area to avoid the worst of what happened to the Santa Clara Valley sprawl- and transit-wise and you have a very attractive place for those who'll be at the forefront of the future's economic growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary