Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 AM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,512 times

Advertisements

Will take any suggestions or recomendations for a family of 4 [two children ages 5 and 10] looking for a nice suburb town of a nice city that has a great school system [with top scores or blue ribbon recognition], recreational activities [very outdoors type family-we like hiking, camping, kayaking, atv, dirtbike, and streetbike] nearby close, we love being near the mountains, don't mind the rain to get all the green that the Southeast provides, love the seasons! Need a growing economy for Daddy to work. We were narrowing it down to a suburb of Louisville, Kentucky, in Oldham County which is beautiful, but I still haven't really found "that town" that I am looking for. Obviously subjective, but any points in the right direction will be much appreciated!! A area that is also known for great value and low cost of living would of course be very beneficial. Will be buying a home outright in the $250K zone [or below] and want to be able to get at least a 3+ 2+ 2200 sq ft or bigger on maybe a 1/2 acre or more? Trying to find a area that might be a bit milder in weather for both the summer and winter since were kind of spoiled coming from So. Cal. Like a little elevation to help that out. Have done all the Top 25 or 50 location finders from various sites, so now I am taking it to the people! Tell me what you like and why? This forum has been fantastic for me with my previous research, so I am posting this same request on multiple locations that I have narrowed down from our criteria. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Clayton!!!

I moved here from Raleigh. Its in a great location, taxes are not as high, the school systems are superb, the price range for a house is right in your range (plus, you will get a huge selection!). Raleigh is about a 20 minute drive in. We have a huge park (Clemmons park) that I have yet to check out, but I heard it was nice. Raleigh has Umstead park, lots of great hiking. The mountains are about a 5 hour drive toward the West, the scenery is just breathtaking. Especially now, the fall leaves are coming in so all over NC you will see trees in beautiful shades of red & orange. I can only imagine what the mountains look like!

From Clayton, the beach is about an hour & a half away. Raleigh has Falls Lake, Apex has Jordan Lake. Plenty of shopping, we have an outlet center in Smithfield which is about a 20 minute drive from Clayton.

RTP (Research Triangle Park=Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) is about 30-45 mins from Clayton. (I drive it everyday, its really not that bad).

If you can get a weekend away, I suggest coming out here. Drive the local towns and see for yourself.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,472 times
You might want to see here: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...a-raleigh.html

That thread also contains a link to another long 'cali to raleigh' thread.

Good luck with your decision...I moved from SoCal less than 2 years ago, and don't regret it one bit.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Trying to find a area that might be a bit milder in weather for both the summer and winter since were kind of spoiled coming from So. Cal. Like a little elevation to help that out.
The thread Grul recommended would be a good place to start. If you are looking for mild summer and winter then I would avoid Kentucky. It gets VERY hot in the summer (just like it does here in NC) and gets VERY cold in the winter (unlike it does here in NC).

Most of NC gets very hot and humid in the summer. I grew up in NC but was in Oregon for 20 years and just moved back this past July. I thought the heat was going to kill me. The first summer will be "baptism by fire". If you want milder summers you might check the NC mountains, Asheville and such. But they do get snow in the winter. But the western part of the state is the best place for elevation. I miss vistas and seeing glacier capped mountains in the distance. BUT it's very green here and the fall colors are FABULOUS!!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:44 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,472 times
Summers here don't feel as hot as SoCal...(to me, at least)

Old 11-28-2007, 04:17 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
Welcome! I'm an Angelino who plans to move to Raleigh next year. Seems like a lot of Californians are understandably looking for a better life. Many, like me, have moved to the Pacific Northwest, but the winters can be brutal.

Good luck with your move. I've found a ton of useful information on these boards, and the people are quite helpful too.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:26 PM

68 posts, read 180,499 times
Red face Clayton, NC

We are in Clayton, NC. It's nice here, originally from Long Island, NY. Do miss the water, but we are about 2 hours from the ocean or mountains and that is nice. I actually went kayaking this summer for the first time. Didn't tip over that was enough of a challenge for me. We have a beatiful walking trial behind our neighborhood. It's a nice town, still lots of trees left.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:59 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Will take any suggestions or recomendations for a family of 4 [two children ages 5 and 10] looking for a nice suburb town of a nice city that has a great school system [with top scores or blue ribbon recognition], recreational activities [very outdoors type family-we like hiking, camping, kayaking, atv, dirtbike, and streetbike] nearby close, we love being near the mountains, don't mind the rain to get all the green that the Southeast provides, love the seasons! Need a growing economy for Daddy to work. We were narrowing it down to a suburb of Louisville, Kentucky, in Oldham County which is beautiful, but I still haven't really found "that town" that I am looking for. Obviously subjective, but any points in the right direction will be much appreciated!! A area that is also known for great value and low cost of living would of course be very beneficial. Will be buying a home outright in the $250K zone [or below] and want to be able to get at least a 3+ 2+ 2200 sq ft or bigger on maybe a 1/2 acre or more? Trying to find a area that might be a bit milder in weather for both the summer and winter since were kind of spoiled coming from So. Cal. Like a little elevation to help that out. Have done all the Top 25 or 50 location finders from various sites, so now I am taking it to the people! Tell me what you like and why? This forum has been fantastic for me with my previous research, so I am posting this same request on multiple locations that I have narrowed down from our criteria. Thank you in advance!
Fuquay Varina just might be your ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary