U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,321 times

Advertisements

At about 6:45 pm last night (it was dark), there were five (5) large aircraft of some sort flying in pretty close formation. It was a very unique sight. The planes were flying at relatively low speed in close formation only a few hundred feet apart. They were flying over Apex and heading in a NE direction (towards RDU or Raleigh?). They were also flying pretty low to the ground as you could easily see the red lights on both the left and right wings.

Did anyone else see this? If so, any more info on what type of aircraft they were and what they were doing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:33 AM

149 posts, read 190,681 times
Yes, I saw them too; it was quite unusual. They sounded like C-130s or perhaps something smaller. But yeah, they were low and slow. As I watched, their lights winked out one by one until all you could see was the red flashers. Kinda mysterious. I'm in Apex off Davis Drive and they were quite noticeable.

I'm pretty sure Ft. Bragg doesn't have aircraft so maybe they were working from Seymour Johnson. They were definitely tracking right over/by RDU so I'm guessing *someone* was keeping track on radar with the whole flight paths thing.

I did catch just a glimpse of Air Force One taking off on Wednesday afternoon. Even with the naked eye, it was a BIG BLUE plane!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:39 AM

360 posts, read 655,312 times
Camp Lejune has some aircraft. Could have been doing a training exercise from there.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:42 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 16,568,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
Yes, I saw them too; it was quite unusual. They sounded like C-130s or perhaps something smaller. But yeah, they were low and slow. As I watched, their lights winked out one by one until all you could see was the red flashers. Kinda mysterious. I'm in Apex off Davis Drive and they were quite noticeable.

I'm pretty sure Ft. Bragg doesn't have aircraft so maybe they were working from Seymour Johnson. They were definitely tracking right over/by RDU so I'm guessing *someone* was keeping track on radar with the whole flight paths thing.
POPE AFB is adjacent to FT Bragg and a lot of planes fly out of there daily, I often see large military aircraft flying in formation over the Sand hills.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 AM

2,464 posts, read 3,803,977 times
We saw dozens of huge military aircraft flying over the Garner area back in the 80s. Looked like WWIII was about to start. They were all in formation and seemed to keep coming and coming, like a long freight train. It was quite a sight to see.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,824,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
I'm pretty sure Ft. Bragg doesn't have aircraft ...
There are LOTS of aircraft at Ft Bragg. What do you think the 82nd airborne paratroopers jump out of? The C-130s fly right over Hwy 87 leading into base seeming like they're about 20 feet off the ground. Kinda freaky when one flies over your car.

They were probably from Bragg, but maybe Seymour Johnson. I used to see stuff like that regularly in Fayetteville.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:04 AM

12,240 posts, read 22,874,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
Camp Lejune has some aircraft. Could have been doing a training exercise from there.
Marines don't fly large transport aircraft. We see plenty of Ospreys and helicopters near Lejeune.

I think they could have been picking up the Presidential staff's automobiles and other equipment.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 AM

168 posts, read 509,210 times
I went for a run yesterday evening in West Cary and saw them as well.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 22,272 times
Yes, I saw them as well. I was wondering they were aircraft in line for arrival at RDU.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:31 AM

554 posts, read 1,068,675 times
We saw them too! My kids were all excited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary