Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,186 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

I'm considering moving to the Amberly/NW Cary area (although I have not narrowed in on a specific community yet). However, since I work at NC State/Centennial Campus, I am wondering if anyone here makes that commute, and what it is like during the regular morning and evening commute hours (e.g., length of commute, traffic, recommended routes)? Although I will be doing some test drives, due to my work schedule, I can only do this during the weekends and other off-peak times. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 PM

95 posts, read 259,748 times
Hey nw64, I see no one's replied yet, so I thought I'd throw in my .02. I did this drive a few summers ago, and even then I found the required time varied DRAMATICALLY depending on the time of day. At the right time, I felt I got there surprisingly quickly and with little aggravation. But around the rush hour times, I'd bog down, creep in traffic, and wait interminably for lights. The driving conditions bugged me almost as much as the fact it took almost twice as long.

My opinion, you'll definitely want to find a way to test-drive it during commuting hours. Hopefully someone else will give you more information. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrmanby View Post
Hey nw64, I see no one's replied yet, so I thought I'd throw in my .02. I did this drive a few summers ago, and even then I found the required time varied DRAMATICALLY depending on the time of day. At the right time, I felt I got there surprisingly quickly and with little aggravation. But around the rush hour times, I'd bog down, creep in traffic, and wait interminably for lights. The driving conditions bugged me almost as much as the fact it took almost twice as long.

My opinion, you'll definitely want to find a way to test-drive it during commuting hours. Hopefully someone else will give you more information. Good luck!

I also found it highly variable. I live off 55 just south of Highhouse and took 64 to NC state. Without traffic, allowing 25 minutes was reasonable. With traffic, 64 can get backed up and it could take twice that long. Friday mornings and afternoons were the worst, in my experience. For what it's worth, this was during the summer.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 AM

nrmanby and Voltige - thanks for your feedback! I think it's in line with what I expected. I did a test drive this past weekend and was able to do it in 23-26 minutes, but of course that was with practically no traffic. I'll continue to check this out and see if I can try it again during rush hour, but based on your input, I'm also trying to find something closer by.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw64 View Post
nrmanby and Voltige - thanks for your feedback! I think it's in line with what I expected. I did a test drive this past weekend and was able to do it in 23-26 minutes, but of course that was with practically no traffic. I'll continue to check this out and see if I can try it again during rush hour, but based on your input, I'm also trying to find something closer by.
What type of housing are you looking for?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 3,399 times
Thanks for this - it's really useful information for me, too. I'm less frustrated with the length of a commute than its unpredictability.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:14 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
I'd think 540->40 would be a pretty predictable commute. Once you get out of Amberly onto 55, you wouldn't have a lot to deal with, and you'd be going against the general traffic pattern. But there's the toll.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw64 View Post
The good news is that you'll have multiple alternative routes to use to avoid the unexpected. Using Google Maps and/or Waze you will know if there are issues on your preferred route and cut over to one of several secondary options available to you.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:22 PM

Thanks all for the additional comments!

Dire Wolf - yeah, I think once I get onto 540, it would be pretty straightforward and I like that I'd be going against traffic (although I'm not really thrilled about the toll!). One of my concerns is that some of the roads in the areas I was looking at (e.g., O'Kelly Chapel Road) don't have traffic lights at many of the intersections, and after reading the recent thread about the intersection at Green Level Church Rd, it made me wonder how bad local traffic would be during rush hour.

Meh - I'm looking for a townhouse, preferably newer construction, and my initial search led me to that area. But I'm just getting started, and so working with my realtor to expand my search parameters to see if we can locate something closer to NC State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary